News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Fellow females, do any of you still wear the hijab

Started by Sarah, June 20, 2019, 02:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah

Peace,

If you do, why? If not and you used to wear it, how did you find transitioning into a non-hijab wearer? Was it hard? Did you feel exposed the first weeks? do you ever miss wearing it? Do people treat you differently now that you don't wear it?
'These are the verses of Allah which We recite to you in truth. Then in what statement (hadith) after Allah and His verses will they believe? (45:6)'

Amra94

Quote from: Sarah on June 20, 2019, 02:39:00 PM
Peace,

If you do, why? If not and you used to wear it, how did you find transitioning into a non-hijab wearer? Was it hard? Did you feel exposed the first weeks? do you ever miss wearing it? Do people treat you differently now that you don't wear it?
Peace, I only wore hijab out in public a few times just to see what it's like. I noticed people stared more and white women were friendlier towards me.

I do feel bad for all the women that are forced to keep it on because they'll be harassed by hateful traditional Muslims..

Jane

I wore it as an experiment when I was 19 for about 4 months. I never believed in it (I was a Submitter/Rashad Khalifa follower at the time) but I was desperate to convince Sunnis to become Submitters so to infiltrate their groups I figured I better resemble them so they trust me and then will listen to me telling them all about the 19 code. Didn't work. They just got annoyed and I can't believe I wasted my time. I stopped wearing it when I realised there was nothing to be gained by befriending Sunnis any more.

I did attract some odd looks since where I lived at the time it was like 99.9% white in my town and there were no Muslims living there at all that I knew of. The local people didn't know what to make of me and some guessed that I was becoming Hindu or even Buddhist!
:confused:

Nobody thought it was weird when I stopped wearing it since I just went back to normal (I'm a white British convert). I think my family were relieved that my Muslim Phase as they saw it was over. Except that it wasn't haha.

I didn't feel exposed when I stopped nor did I miss it. I was glad to give it up because by then it was summer and I was too hot all the time. I was disturbed also by how much my hearing was weaker when my ears were covered with fabric and how brittle my hair got, probably from my scalp not being able to breathe properly and/or from my hair being wrapped tight constantly. It was miserable and I feel so sorry for the women who are forced to wear it their whole lives.
PEACE

SleepySoul

I wore the headscarf a few times at one point.  I also wanted to start wearing the abaya but it didn't happen. No one made me wear it so taking it off wasn't that difficult either.

Now I don't feel it's necessary or even compulsory. But I do still believe in modest/decent dressing (for both men and women) and that it's an Islamic concept.

Also, it's fine if other women want to wear the headscarf/abaya as long as they don't judge others harshly, bother them about it or treat them badly.
I also don't really believe it's going to protect someone from sexual assault.

I do understand that more outward appearing Muslim women are more likely to be victims of islamophobia which is very wrong.

Amra94

After pondering over the verses about womens dress code, I think I'm gonna start wearing full hijab. One verse that sticks out to me is

24:60 And women of post-menstrual age who have no desire for marriage - there is no blame upon them for putting aside their (outer) garments [but] not displaying adornment. But to modestly refrain [from that] is better for them. And God is Hearing and Knowing.

So older women are allowed to relax their dress code which imo means dressing somewhat modestly without a headcover or super loose or long clothing as long as it's not revealing since they're still supposed to refrain from displaying adornment. The dress code for younger believing women is supposed to be way more modest which is why to me wearing hijab and long loose fitting clothing makes sense.

Wakas

https://www.misconceptions-about-islam.com/misconception.php?id=34

The following verse shows being clothed is the norm but makes it clear that flexibility is allowed in certain situations, as long as we are mindful of modesty. The context is etiquette within the household:

And the women who are past child bearing and who do not seek to get married have no sin upon them if they discard their garments*, provided they do not show off with their beauty. If they abstain, then it is better for them. God is Hearer, Knower. [24:60]
*Arabic word is "thiyab" and refers to ordinary clothes/gowns.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

jkhan

Quote from: Amra94 on June 27, 2020, 01:09:01 PM
After pondering over the verses about womens dress code, I think I'm gonna start wearing full hijab. One verse that sticks out to me is

24:60 And women of post-menstrual age who have no desire for marriage - there is no blame upon them for putting aside their (outer) garments [but] not displaying adornment. But to modestly refrain [from that] is better for them. And God is Hearing and Knowing.

So older women are allowed to relax their dress code which imo means dressing somewhat modestly without a headcover or super loose or long clothing as long as it's not revealing since they're still supposed to refrain from displaying adornment. The dress code for younger believing women is supposed to be way more modest which is why to me wearing hijab and long loose fitting clothing makes sense.

I see wearing something on head is very much cultural and optional.. But wearing below neck is almost must for women apart from what is apparent.. ...

In Quranic point of view...
Apart from regular instructive verses like the link provided by Waqas..
I see not the two women at the well for whome Musa assisted were covering their entire body...

I don't see the women converged at the request of the wife of Aziz (chapter 12)were fully covering... Verses don't depicts so... But with their dialogue they seem Muslim... And believe in God..

And I don't see in verse 33:52 that women were fully covered so that no one can see their beauty.. Being a prophet it seems their beauty can attract him.. So.. In my understanding fully covered women with loose cloths never attracts anyone..coz you don't see a women in that dress..  It shows Mohamed has seen the women what is naturally apparent... Face is identity to like a person first.. So it shows in those societies (Yousuf, Musa,  Mohamed) women and that also Muslim  women not covering complete body.... Coupled with that even God never seems to be ordering to do so..
That's my take..
But wearing hijab for attraction and beauty while not calling a rule from God.. I don't see anything wrong.. coz God says garments are to cover private parts as well for beauty.. There is no beauty when women are sealed to bottom with black dress.. That's cultural torture..  Hard to breath one month with this face mask... Wonder how they live fully covered for life...  That's not God's nature..
Let us die with guidance

[url="https://discord.gg/3NSZH3hxy7"]https://discord.gg/3NSZH3hxy7[/url]
[url="https://www.youtube.com/@purposefullivingg"]https://www.youtube.com/@purposefullivingg[/url]

Amra94

Quote from: jkhan on June 27, 2020, 09:12:45 PM
I see wearing something on head is very much cultural and optional.. But wearing below neck is almost must for women apart from what is apparent.. ...

In Quranic point of view...
Apart from regular instructive verses like the link provided by Waqas..
I see not the two women at the well for whome Musa assisted were covering their entire body...

I don't see the women converged at the request of the wife of Aziz (chapter 12)were fully covering... Verses don't depicts so... But with their dialogue they seem Muslim... And believe in God..

And I don't see in verse 33:52 that women were fully covered so that no one can see their beauty.. Being a prophet it seems their beauty can attract him.. So.. In my understanding fully covered women with loose cloths never attracts anyone..coz you don't see a women in that dress..  It shows Mohamed has seen the women what is naturally apparent... Face is identity to like a person first.. So it shows in those societies (Yousuf, Musa,  Mohamed) women and that also Muslim  women not covering complete body.... Coupled with that even God never seems to be ordering to do so..
That's my take..
But wearing hijab for attraction and beauty while not calling a rule from God.. I don't see anything wrong.. coz God says garments are to cover private parts as well for beauty.. There is no beauty when women are sealed to bottom with black dress.. That's cultural torture..  Hard to breath one month with this face mask... Wonder how they live fully covered for life...  That's not God's nature..

What would be the point of describing these womens dress code.. It doesnt say they didnt cover their bodies either so you're just assuming they weren't covered. Why not look at how Christians depict Mary, that's prob how believing women dressed. I didnt mention face veil but a headscarf and long loose clothing like a dress doesnt hide your natural body size or face so men can still be interested in marrying you.

Amra94

Quote from: Wakas on June 27, 2020, 06:08:45 PM
https://www.misconceptions-about-islam.com/misconception.php?id=34

The following verse shows being clothed is the norm but makes it clear that flexibility is allowed in certain situations, as long as we are mindful of modesty. The context is etiquette within the household:

And the women who are past child bearing and who do not seek to get married have no sin upon them if they discard their garments*, provided they do not show off with their beauty. If they abstain, then it is better for them. God is Hearer, Knower. [24:60]
*Arabic word is "thiyab" and refers to ordinary clothes/gowns.

Hmm why would it single older women out if the context is within the household only when it should apply for any woman and the other verse (24:31) essentially says what you're saying for women in general.

Wakas

Quote from: Wakas on May 29, 2009, 02:08:57 PM

My only question mark on dress code was 24:60, as I couldn't prove if it meant discard clothes in general (less likely), or in the house (more likely, due to context), or something else. But now having thought about it, if we take into consideration privacy in times of undress when others must seek permission to be among you at these times, and who revealing of "total beauty" applies to, then it implies (proves?) it is wthin the household. This would also imply that maintaining the minimum dress code with those mentioned in 24:31 is better for us or the norm, unless there is a reason, e.g. 24:60.

Also connects to previous verse with "wa".
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

good logic

This is my story from the holidays I take with the Tuaregs on the border of Algeria and Mali..
I like to spend time (two weeks, sometimes more) with these wonderful people, and I am now accustomed to their dress code.Both men and women wear some kind of hijab.This has nothing to do with religion, it is to do with the harsh climate especially the sand storms.
This is to protect all the body and especially the face .
I feel comfortable in a robe(men s )and a turban with a face cover where only the eyes are uncovered, sometimes even the eyes are covered with a see thriugh cloth face cover ( part of the hijab/turban).

Their story is the same story of hundreds of generations experience before them of the Sahara climate and its survival.

The hijab compliments the way of life over there and is necessary regardless of the religion or its requirements.
Obviously, Qoran "modest dress" requirement is open to interpretations and traditions.
I do not think the hijab is necessary in some parts of the world where the dress code is different . GOD wants us to be "modest" not uncomfortable or odd. Also is it necessary?
Obviously, it is also a choice for most individuals. Those that are forced, the simple fact for them is they are controlled and oppressed in most cases also.
In a way it is wrong to take GOD s freedom of choice from individuals if they do not affect others and they are not corrupt or bad.
GOD bless you all.
Peace.
TOTAL LOYALTY TO GOD ALONE.   IN GOD I TRUST
38:65″ Say:? I warn you; There is no other god beside GOD, the One, the Supreme.?
[url="https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?p=28"]https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?p=28[/url]

Amra94

So 24:60 says that even within the household it is better to refrain from removing garments. With all the details about dress code it seems like covering up more is always the way to go.

Amra94

Quote from: good logic on June 28, 2020, 08:34:39 AM
This is my story from the holidays I take with the Tuaregs on the border of Algeria and Mali..
I like to spend time (two weeks, sometimes more) with these wonderful people, and I am now accustomed to their dress code.Both men and women wear some kind of hijab.This has nothing to do with religion, it is to do with the harsh climate especially the sand storms.
This is to protect all the body and especially the face .
I feel comfortable in a robe(men s )and a turban with a face cover where only the eyes are uncovered, sometimes even the eyes are covered with a see thriugh cloth face cover ( part of the hijab/turban).

Their story is the same story of hundreds of generations experience before them of the Sahara climate and its survival.

The hijab compliments the way of life over there and is necessary regardless of the religion or its requirements.
Obviously, Qoran "modest dress" requirement is open to interpretations and traditions.
I do not think the hijab is necessary in some parts of the world where the dress code is different . GOD wants us to be "modest" not uncomfortable or odd. Also is it necessary?
Obviously, it is also a choice for most individuals. Those that are forced, the simple fact for them is they are controlled and oppressed in most cases also.
In a way it is wrong to take GOD s freedom of choice from individuals if they do not affect others and they are not corrupt or bad.
GOD bless you all.
Peace.
Hijabis are only uncomfortable because of rude people and who cares if it's odd to disbelievers. Judgmental Christian's are hypocrites they depict Mary with a hijab.

good logic

Peace Amra94.
Thank you for youe comment sister.
I have heard both sides from women. Some find it comfortable others find it restrictive.
It is up to individuals.
When I covered my face during my visits to Africa, I found it necessary and useful.
I cretainly would not judge anyone on what they choose to wear.
When it comes to dressing styles I will only argue for modesty and covering private parts. I do not consider  head, arms or some parts of the legs as priivate parts,
But individuals are free to cover what they choose to cover.
As far as I know GOD has instructed modesty and respect from both sexes and left some choice of details,style and fashions of clothes up to us in Qoran.
GOD bless you.
Peace.
38:65″ Say:? I warn you; There is no other god beside GOD, the One, the Supreme.?
[url="https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?p=28"]https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?p=28[/url]

Amra94

Quote from: good logic on June 28, 2020, 11:47:35 AM
Peace Amra94.
Thank you for youe comment sister.
I have heard both sides from women. Some find it comfortable others find it restrictive.
It is up to individuals.
When I covered my face during my visits to Africa, I found it necessary and useful.
I cretainly would not judge anyone on what they choose to wear.
When it comes to dressing styles I will only argue for modesty and covering private parts. I do not consider  head, arms or some parts of the legs as priivate parts,
But individuals are free to cover what they choose to cover.
As far as I know GOD has instructed modesty and respect from both sexes and left some choice of details,style and fashions of clothes up to us in Qoran.
GOD bless you.
Peace.
Peace, it depends on how you wear it cause hijabis are out there doing all kinds of physical activities without feeling restricted. There are many styles that are more comfortable.
And I dont think modesty is only about covering private parts because 24:60 is telling older women they can remove their garments. If garments means regular t shirt and shorts then relaxing their dress code even more isnt really possible without revealing private parts. Garment is probably some kind of abaya type thing with regular clothing underneath.

Cerberus

I see a lot of talks about what to wear but rarely about what is modesty ? As if the concept of modesty is truly understood, and all that is left now is to put on some clothes to achieve it.

good logic

Modesty is a mind thing first and foremost.
The best clothing one can put on is on the intention of the mind. What Qoran calls "Libass Attaqwa"

If the mind is dressed right, the body will dress modestly.
GOD bless.
Peace.

Sania Haque

Quote from: Sarah on June 20, 2019, 02:39:00 PM
Peace,

I do. Although i converted very recently so i donot know what the future holds for me. My choice of wearing niqab was my own, although my father did use to force me, i wasn't the one to comply. But in my teenage years i did get closer to Allah and then forced my dad to get me a niqab, although my dad just wanted me to wear niqab. I dont think i am going to give it up since i am very accustomed to it but I am jist relieved that now there's pressure on me. Obviously i wasn't able to observe hijab everywhere like in wedding ceremony and family gathering and i always thought i am sinning so badlyz I'll go to hell. Plus no natter how much I loved hijab, I also longed to wear some modern dress as well, but you know how sunnism is, with their dresscode concerning women, wear a tent and a full face mask. Now I am just excited to try some of the dresses i have been dying to wear. Just yesterday i was getting ready to go out and trying to get my hijab right because some strands of hair were out. All of a sudden it hit me that it didn't matter whether my hair was showing ot not. Allah didn't care about it. I left those few strands as they were. I did panic a few times when i again realised that my hair was out of my hijab then I reassured myself that it was okay. Of course i cannot get rid of the internalised fear and panic in one day but in sha allah I have a long future ahead if myself to get used to a free life

Sania Haque

Quote from: Amra94 on June 28, 2020, 11:11:33 AM
Hijabis are only uncomfortable because of rude people and who cares if it's odd to disbelievers. Judgmental Christian's are hypocrites they depict Mary with a hijab.

No it's uncomfortable. Even women in islamic countries also say it's uncomfortable. Do you realize how hard it is to wear hijab in a hot weather. I have developed acne around my neck and shoulder area because of it. Even when you are with people who accept you, you feel odd and left out. It is an outdated clothing, so some women find it restrictive

Amra94

Quote from: Sania Haque on December 11, 2020, 07:02:15 AM
No it's uncomfortable. Even women in islamic countries also say it's uncomfortable. Do you realize how hard it is to wear hijab in a hot weather. I have developed acne around my neck and shoulder area because of it. Even when you are with people who accept you, you feel odd and left out. It is an outdated clothing, so some women find it restrictive
I live in a desert city and covering my skin/head is something I always do to protect me from the sun.

16:81 (He has) made for you from the mountains, shelters and has made for you garments which protect you from the heat and garments which protect you from your [enemy in] battle. Thus does He complete His favor upon you that you might submit [to Him].

Sania Haque

Quote from: Amra94 on December 11, 2020, 10:12:14 AM
I live in a desert city and covering my skin/head is something I always do to protect me from the sun.

16:81 (He has) made for you from the mountains, shelters and has made for you garments which protect you from the heat and garments which protect you from your [enemy in] battle. Thus does He complete His favor upon you that you might submit [to Him].

Your choice. I was talking about the struggles most women feel while wearing hijab. Judging by your comment, you might live in middle east so it's a common attire there. For muslimahs living in a non Islamic environmental it is a struggle and it's not because of rude Christians. There are many other factors in it

Amra94

Quote from: Sania Haque on December 12, 2020, 02:26:45 PM
Your choice. I was talking about the struggles most women feel while wearing hijab. Judging by your comment, you might live in middle east so it's a common attire there. For muslimahs living in a non Islamic environmental it is a struggle and it's not because of rude Christians. There are many other factors in it
Phoenix is a desert. There are different ways to cover your hair that isnt the traditional hijab style. I dont even look Muslim and I'm comfortable.

Sania Haque

Quote from: Amra94 on December 12, 2020, 03:46:09 PM
Phoenix is a desert. There are different ways to cover your hair that isnt the traditional hijab style. I dont even look Muslim and I'm comfortable.

As I said your choice. Although i dont know why would you want to cover your hair when it itself acts as a cover for the head protecting it from the sun. I can understand why some people would like to cover their face because of the sun but covering of head still doesn't make sense to me when the hair is already acting as a protection of the head from the sun. But as I said your choice

Amra94

Quote from: Sania Haque on December 13, 2020, 06:13:13 AM
As I said your choice. Although i dont know why would you want to cover your hair when it itself acts as a cover for the head protecting it from the sun. I can understand why some people would like to cover their face because of the sun but covering of head still doesn't make sense to me when the hair is already acting as a protection of the head from the sun. But as I said your choice
That's not enough protection especially if you're white and even your scalp burns. And of course main reason i cover is to be more modest.

Veerle

Salaam

I still wear the hijab. I love and hate it in almost equal measure.
Sometimes I wear it because I want to, sometimes for my husband, sometimes I put it off, sometimes I replace the classic hijab with a turban. I find signs in the noble quran to indicate that we should wear it and I find signs that we don't. I am conflicted towards the subject.

All throughout history women of various religions, cultures and climates have often covered their heads and hair in one way or another. Royals, women and men, wear crowns. Men in various religions and cultures have or are still covering their head at times. Something about covering the head seems to demand (self)respect.  I definitely behave and carry myself different when I wear hijab.

I can imagine that it is God's will that we wear hijab just as easily as I can imagine god laughing at us for worrying about something stupid as this.

What I am sure off and am not conflicted about is that no good can come from forcing a woman to dress a certain way because 10 lines in a 1000 page book might me saying that she might be obligated to cover her hair.

The eyes that read the Quran need to decide if they believe or not, if they follow or not and if they understand the same as other eyes or not.

SarahY

I devoutly wore a headscarf for many, many, years, I no longer adhere to it as a strict dress code.

Everyone will have their own convictions as to why (for or against).

Some people find discomfort, some people find comfort. In my experience it was my norm, people are adaptable. What may seem uncomfortable and unusual will soon be normal/tolerable.

Everyone has their own perceptions/view of "you" and we can't control that. Wearing a headscarf has the benefit of being identified as Muslim but I guess it may be a detriment in some cases. I feel without a headscarf you blend in more however maybe in a dominant headscarf wearing company/society that may not be the case.

Everyone's experiences will be different depending on where they live and their company.

We all have blind spots.
Follow your heart but take your brain with you.
ambiguity is there for a reason, why do you think?
We're all different, so how can we all be equal?