News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

How do you define Submission?

Started by Shah Khan, November 14, 2022, 11:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shah Khan

May God Shower his peace, mercy and blessings upon you all.

Can any Arabic speaker define the words Deen and Madhab?

Nowadays Muslims use the word Deen for religion and Madhab for a school of thought and I have been told by an Arabic speaker that this translation of Deen as a religion in modern term, is wrong.

I have been told by an Arabic speaker that Deen does not mean Religion, but instead it means a System (maybe more like politico-socio-sconomic system) and Madhab means Religion.

Because there are 2 verses in the Quran.

Quranic verse 2:62

"Lo! Those who believe (in that which is revealed unto thee, Muhammad), and those who are Jews, and Christians, and Sabaeans - whoever believeth in Allah and the Last Day and doeth right - surely their reward is with their Lord, and there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve."

Translation of Pickthall

Quranic verse 3:85

"And whoso seeketh as religion other than the Surrender (to Allah) it will not be accepted from him, and he will be a loser in the Hereafter."

Translation of Pickthall

At first we can read in the Quranic verse 2:62 God is telling us that anyone who believes in God, in the hereafter and along with that they do righteous deeds, they will have no suffering on the day of judgement.

but then again in the other Quranic verse 3:85, God tells us that No Deen will be accepted by God, except the submission to God (Islam)

Traditionalist Hadith and Fiqh follower Muslims say that 'as long as someone has not heard the message of Quran and they believe in god and the last day and do righteous deeds, they will not be suffered on the judgement day.

But as they hear about the message of Islam, No matter they believe in One God, believe in the Last day, do righteous day, all that will be in vain If they do not pronounce Shahadah'

Now to me, this doesn't fit in my mind because one can be a Monotheist Christian, Jew or a Zoroastrian or a Monotheist Hindu (yes there are Monotheist Hindu), believing in the Last day and do righteous deeds
while one can be a traditionalist hadith and fiqh follower Muslim and do actions that are against God's Laws (killing, adultery, etc etc) and also theres no mention of Shadah in the Quran.

What I understand by the verses is that:

Islam (Submission) is a Deen (System); and

no matter what someone's Madhab (Religion/school of thought) is,

as long as they Submit to God and God's word's (Quran) they will be rewarded on the day of judgement, irrespective of their religion.

From Historical records, what I've understand is that Islam (Submission to God) was more of a Social and Political movement involving Pre-Islamic Arab monotheists, Monotheist, Christians and Monotheist Jews during Muhammad's time against the Paganism and Jahiliyyah of Arabiyah and against the Clerics of Christians and Jews before it turned into a religion by the traditionalist Muslims.

May God reward all of you with Goodness.

Wakas

peace,

According to my studies:

"deen" means that which is due, hence its meanings of obligation, indebtedness, requital, system

= Dal-Ya-Nun = obedience/submissiveness, servility, religion, high/elevated/noble/glorious rank/condition/state, took/receive a loan or borrowed upon credit, become indebted, in debt, under the obligation of a debt, contract a debt, repay/reimburse a loan, rule/govern/manage it, possess/own it, become habituated/accustomed to something, confirmation, death (because it is a debt everyone must pay), a particular law/statute, system, custom/habit/business, a way/course/manner of conduct/acting, repayment/compensation.
Daynun (n.): Debt; lending.
Tadaayantum (prf. 2nd. p. m. plu. VI.): You transact.
La Yadiinuuna (imp. 3rd. p. m. plu.): They do not subscribe, do not observe (religious laws).
Diin: Requital; judgement; faith; law; obedience.
Madyiinuun/ Madyiiniin: Requitted.

dana vb. (I)
impf. act. 9:29
pcple. pass. 37:53, 56:86

dayn n.m. 2:282, 4:11, 4:12, 4:12, 4:12

din n.m. 1:4, 2:132, 2:193, 2:217, 2:217, 2:256, 3:19, 3:24, 3:73, 3:83, 3:85, 4:46, 4:125, 4:146, 4:171, 5:3, 5:3, 5:3, 5:54, 5:57, 5:77, 6:70, 6:137, 6:159, 6:161, 7:29, 7:51, 8:39, 8:49, 8:72, 9:11, 9:12, 9:29, 9:33, 9:33, 9:36, 9:122, 10:22, 10:104, 10:105, 12:40, 12:76, 15:35, 16:52, 22:78, 24:2, 24:25, 24:55, 26:82, 29:65, 30:30, 30:30, 30:32, 30:43, 31:32, 33:5, 37:20, 38:78, 39:2, 39:3, 39:11, 39:14, 40:14, 40:26, 40:65, 42:13, 42:13, 42:21, 48:28, 48:28, 49:16, 51:6, 51:12, 56:56, 60:8, 60:9, 61:9, 61:9, 70:26, 74:46, 82:9, 82:15, 82:17, 82:18, 83:11, 95:7, 98:5, 98:5, 107:1, 109:6, 109:6, 110:2,

tadayana vb. (VI) perf. act. 2:282

Lane's Lexicon, Volume 3, pages: 108, 109, 110, 111, 112  ##  http://ejtaal.net/aa/#q=dyn

All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

Nom de plume

one way to submit is to admit when you are wrong

another way is to admit and say you do not know

Mazhar

Root: د ى ن

Words from this Root in the Grand Qur'ān:

a) Total occurrences: 101

b) No of constructions: 25

Nouns: 23; Recurrence: 99; Verbs: 2 [Form-I: 1; Form-VI: 1]

Semantic Domain: Constitution - Code of Conduct - Requital; And Debt Obligation

This verbal noun occurs: 92 times in the Divine Discourse, individually or in prepositional and Possessive Phrases. Since it is Verbal Noun signifying action and state-condition it has no dual and plural, or gender; its verbs are: دَانَ يَدِينُ .

In encyclopedic articles and Arabic-English dictionaries we will apparently find "diversity of meanings", like "Ruler", "obedience", or "servant-ness"; "judgment", or "retribution-requital". Though these words seem portraying different semantic fields, but when we reflect on these words with reference to our society and the state, they are all inalienably inter-related. If we encompass all these, we can combine their significance by the phrase "the code - system of life and the universe". It is understood that the right and authority for devising - promulgating a system rests with the Creator of life and matter. Even the polytheists accept and say the universe is created by Allah the Exalted Who is Mighty and absolutely Dominant. This perception is evident from the following proclamation:

See for details:
https://haqeeqat.pk/roots/(477).htm
[url="http://haqeeqat.pk/index.htm"]http://haqeeqat.pk/index.htm[/url]

Mohammed.

peace, & same to you

To me, submission is believing/knowing/acknowledging (the fact) that everything is by God, and hence orienting one's life accordingly. And God has sent down guidance.

For example, being thankful is a form of submission.
Taking this very moment of reading & writing, being aware that I'm able to do/experience/enjoy it only because God created/made all these arrangements (life, humans, brains/minds, eyes, hands, languages, the pleasure of seeking &acquiring knowledge etc).. Like that, being (or trying to be) aware & thankful always.
-my current understanding. Verify for yourself -17:36.
O you who believe! Enter perfectly in islam/ Surrender yourselves wholly unto God [2:208], [3:19-20,85 2:132]

almarh0m

Peace

Are we still in the year 2002 or is it 2022 now?

Submission to me is nothing more than abiding by the law of god . The Rules of Law or the law that applies wherever one's residing, such a person or people is called a law abiding citizen( s). So in short, a submitter is = person or people who has committed himself/herself to always obey the law. Or, they can be called muslims in Quranic Arabic.
Please see: 2/131 ( Where God/Allah said to Prophet Ibrahim to submit.

Peace

"He who Created me, it is He who Guides me"

Mohammed.

'Being aware & thankful' is not only with heart/words, it could reflect in one's actions too. i.e. the best use of our blessings (atleast in such a way that it do not invite God's dislike/wrath).
-my current understanding. Verify for yourself -17:36.
O you who believe! Enter perfectly in islam/ Surrender yourselves wholly unto God [2:208], [3:19-20,85 2:132]

Jafar

Deen is attitude / opinion / perception.
Deen of islam (totally different than religion of Islam) are best expressed on a statement that can be found in the Gospel.
"Our Father, Let Your will be done, on earth as it's in heaven".

Thus the reason why Jesus is a muslim, those who show / expressed / practice the attitude of islam.
Jesus did not believe in the Quran, member of Islam religion, perform testimony to Muhammad nor encircling the Kabba yet he shows the attitude of "ACCEPTANCE", acceptance of our father's will. The father / source of everything.

I know that such definition does not support those who are interested to seek power and control over others, such as Sultan, Caliph, King, Emperor, Cult Leader, Imam, Sheikh, Rabbis, Clerics, Warlord, Politician etc.. That's why they change the definition of 'deen' to be a 'religion' as they use religion as a 'system' or 'tool' to exert control over others through fear. They created a religion and named it as Islam.

Fusion

To Shah Khan, from the name i hope you understand the language,

Worth listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6JLUdIYzE8

Regards
Best Regards,

good logic

Brother Jafar.

Everybody submits to something willingly or unwillingly
For example who is not submitting to living here on earth? At least for now . There are some laws that GOD put in place in our universe that we are unable to reverse or do without.
By the way brother, do you want to team up with me in business and make a buck or two? Like your priests and leaders of religions are doing!
We will create a religious social media business to control others and tell them GOD has decreed this and call it Faithbook?

On a serious side lets not. You seem a decent guy. I better not corrupt you.
Anyway hope you are doing fine these trying days for all of us, you know the cost of living and all the tricks that your fellow humans in charge are coming up with to make life hard and expensive . They want us to submit to their unjust systems.
GOD bless you.
Peace.
TOTAL LOYALTY TO GOD ALONE.   IN GOD I TRUST
38:65″ Say:? I warn you; There is no other god beside GOD, the One, the Supreme.?
[url="https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/"]https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/[/url]