News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Why do miracles not happen in our time

Started by Sarah, July 30, 2022, 10:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

good logic

Peace Hawk.
I do not find the word miracle in Qoran Also.
I am translating "Aayat" in some verses as  sign/miracle/supernatural...i.e not possible for humans to do., according to my understanding.
Like I said to you before, GOD will not use the word miracle to describe the things He does because to Him they are easy to do.

Also, for me, the word proof is there Burhan
O people, a proof has come to you from your Lord; we have sent down to you a profound beacon.
يٰأَيُّهَا النّاسُ قَد جاءَكُم بُرهٰنٌ مِن رَبِّكُم وَأَنزَلنا إِلَيكُم نورًا مُبينًا

I have no proof for others as far as my translations/understanding is concerned,only this verse:
You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them.

GOD bless you.
Peace.
TOTAL LOYALTY TO GOD ALONE.   IN GOD I TRUST
38:65″ Say:? I warn you; There is no other god beside GOD, the One, the Supreme.?
[url="https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?p=28"]https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?p=28[/url]

Fusion

Quote from: good logic on August 16, 2022, 11:14:17 AM
Peace Hawk.
I do not find the word miracle in Qoran Also.
I am translating "Aayat" in some verses as  sign/miracle/supernatural...i.e not possible for humans to do., according to my understanding.
Like I said to you before, GOD will not use the word miracle to describe the things He does because to Him they are easy to do.

Also, for me, the word proof is there Burhan
O people, a proof has come to you from your Lord; we have sent down to you a profound beacon.
يٰأَيُّهَا النّاسُ قَد جاءَكُم بُرهٰنٌ مِن رَبِّكُم وَأَنزَلنا إِلَيكُم نورًا مُبينًا

I have no proof for others as far as my translations/understanding is concerned,only this verse:
You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them.

GOD bless you.
Peace.

Very interesting deduction.
I also tried searching Quran with the arabic word معجزة  and I could not find (unless some one corrects me).
Yes بِـَٔايَةٍ is there in many places which is translated into either Miracle or Signs.

We may use miracle and Sign interchangeably but more better translation of Miracle is the word معجزة which did not came out in my search.

So as I understand Miracle refers to something that is impossible to happen like dead people coming alive. or some one fell off 100 story and still get up and walk away.
Sign is something that is an event which happened and serve a message from God. Or in our daily life we something stop doing something because we receive a sign which makes us not to proceed in the original direction.
Now even this word sign or ءَايَةًۭ is translated in different contexts.

For example:

Quran: 3:41
قَالَ رَبِّ ٱجْعَل لِّىٓ ءَايَةًۭ ۖ قَالَ ءَايَتُكَ أَلَّا تُكَلِّمَ ٱلنَّاسَ ثَلَـٰثَةَ أَيَّامٍ إِلَّا رَمْزًۭا ۗ وَٱذْكُر رَّبَّكَ كَثِيرًۭا وَسَبِّحْ بِٱلْعَشِىِّ وَٱلْإِبْكَـٰرِ

Translation 1:
He said, "My Lord, make for me a sign." He Said, "Your sign is that you will not [be able to] speak to the people for three days except by gesture. And remember your Lord much and exalt [Him with praise] in the evening and the morning."

Translation 2:
Zechariah said: 'O my Lord! Appoint a sign for me.' The angel said: 'The sign for you shall be that you shall not speak to men for three days except by gesture. Remember your Lord and extol His glory by night and by day.'

Translation 3:
Zachariah said: "O Allah let me know if there is any particular Directive in this regard." Allah said, "The only Directive is that for three days you shall not converse with people except by means of signs [*1] and keep the Divine Laws before you unceasingly. Otherwise, go about your daily business in your routine manner."

So even the word ayat is not actually agreed to have the near meaning of miracle as explained above.

Thanks
Best Regards,

good logic

Here are verses with !Aayat! words that I  would translate as miracle,or signs that are miracles for us humans:

They say, "How come no Aayats- miracles- came down to him from his Lord?" Say, "The future belongs to God; so wait, and I am waiting along with you."

*10:20 In retrospect, we see now that the Quran's miracle, indeed "One of the greatest miracles" (74:30-35), was divinely predestined to be unveiled 14 centuries later.
وَيَقولونَ لَولا أُنزِلَ عَلَيهِ ءايَةٌ مِن رَبِّهِ فَقُل إِنَّمَا الغَيبُ لِلَّهِ فَانتَظِروا إِنّى مَعَكُم مِنَ المُنتَظِرينَ

Or:
They said, "If only Aayats- miracles*- could come down to him from his Lord!" Say, "All Aayats- miracles to humans- come only from God; I am no more than a manifest warner."
*29:48-51
وَقالوا لَولا أُنزِلَ عَلَيهِ ءايٰتٌ مِن رَبِّهِ قُل إِنَّمَا الـٔايٰتُ عِندَ اللَّهِ وَإِنَّما أَنا۠ نَذيرٌ مُبينٌ
Is it not enough (of a miracle*to humans) that we sent down to you this book, being recited to them? This is indeed a mercy and a reminder for people who believe.
أَوَلَم يَكفِهِم أَنّا أَنزَلنا عَلَيكَ الكِتٰبَ يُتلىٰ عَلَيهِم إِنَّ فى ذٰلِكَ لَرَحمَةً وَذِكرىٰ لِقَومٍ يُؤمِنونَ
Humans always want supernatural things to see/ miracles from GOD as proof and.GOD has provided for many past generations as part of His test.
Yet we are blind to the miracles of our own creation and that of everything around us. Always there as a reminder for us about the greatness of GOD.
GOD bless you.
Peace.
38:65″ Say:? I warn you; There is no other god beside GOD, the One, the Supreme.?
[url="https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?p=28"]https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?p=28[/url]

Fusion

In my understanding what is intended here is about super natural acts. We all know the narrations that Quran conveyed about the greatness of Almighty and many verses also talk about Aya as signs including the Book itself. However I feel the questioner (correct me pls) is talking about the so called super natural events mentioned in Quran and hence asking if the next such an even is the judgement day because apparently many verses in Quran about the happening of Judgement days seems Super natural (like joining of the moon and sun etc.- if we take this joining as Literal sense).

Previous nations had always asked their prophets about signs to prove their claim. What kind of sign people of the those nations asked? Like why not the angels walk beside the prophet or why not prophet does some super natural thing. and in my opinion no prophet claims to act on such demands in a way to perform some super natural stuff other than to spread the true message of Islam - oneness of God and be kind to other humans etc.

Now the events and stories mentioned in Quran which are still super natural to us may one day be explained and some are already explained owe to the fact that we humans excel in science and unlock the secrets of the power of this universe using the laws that God set in motion when this universe was created (gravity for example).

Lets suppose a time 3000 years ago, a man was able to invent a telescope that sees the galaxies far off and then he shows it to his nations as a sign and then claims he is a prophet fulfilling the demand of his nation showing a sign. Do we consider this as super natural? maybe at that time but perhaps the man was able to master how to create a curved glass (lens)  to be able to reflect the light.(just saying for argument sake).

Yes God capable of all things however we should not take some of the verses as literally that for example splitting of a mon happened with the prophet aiming his finger at the moon or that moses just hit the ground with a stick and the whole sea is divided with a passage. Else we can then also assume that what Hundus said about their sadhus where they claimed those sadhus were able to fly high above, be able to reach from one mountain to another in the wink of an eye and such stories should also be true. Similar to story of Miraj where majority of the muslims believe prophet took a journey in physical capacity.

I am not in favor or against believing such evens, all I am saying is that we should accept Scientific advancements and try to understand that definition of miracle should be adjusted accordingly.

cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSyUIhsOt8o
Best Regards,

Emre_1974tr

On the contrary, everything described in the Qur'an is literally true. There is no symbolism in the Quran. If there is a simile, the verse states it and explains what it is symbolizing (e.g. the Qur'an being compared to light, etc...).

We must first accept the plain first meaning of the verses. Then we can move on to secondary and tertiary meanings and symbolic interpretations. But first we believe in the first obvious meaning. Otherwise there will be no book. Anyone can deny any verse and call it a symbol. They call verses they don't like as metaphors. We see them in these forums as well. Anyway, when you do that, you can get any teaching approved by the book.

By the way, Miraj may also be real. There are one or two verses that point to it. Besides, paradise and hell already exist. In the Hereafter Universe called the Lord's Floor...Travel between universes is not against the laws of physics. Neither does the splitting of the sea. Angels and jinn are also physical living beings subject to the laws of physics like us.

But apart from that, the real miracles and proofs are those that happen outside the laws of physics. Otherwise, everything that is in accordance with the laws of physics can be realized by humans and jinns who are advanced in technology and science. There is no divine proof in these. Those with advanced civilization impose their own teachings. No, God performs the real miracles and these miracles are against the laws of physics. For example, the creation of the universe out of nothing, the creation of Adam and his wife without using sex, and the creation of Jesus without use sex. The resurrection of the dead and the creation of birds from clay through Jesus , from God.  The man and his animal, passing by the ruined city, are recreated long after their deaths.

Peace
[url="https://twitter.com/Emre_1974tr"]https://twitter.com/Emre_1974tr[/url]

[url="http://emre1974tr.blogspot.com/"]http://emre1974tr.blogspot.com/[/url]

hawk99

Quote from: Aladin Azra on August 16, 2022, 05:02:44 AM
To understand this we have to notice that two words were used in a story about Musa, which are translated as "the sea". These words are el-baHr الْبَحْر as in 26:63 you asked about, and el-yemm الْيَمّ.

El-yemm is used 8 times and it's translated as "sea", in a story of Musa, and also as "river". Yemm is translated as "river" when Musa's mother casted him into the RIVER (ref. 20:39 and 28:7). So, if yemm is sea then Musa's mother casted him into the sea and somehow he came to pharaoh's family, which were located in Amarna or some other town far away from (Red) sea. Also, word teyemmum (or tayammum) comes from the same root, which is important for this word.

Peace good brother, I did not intend to mislead you, the discussion is about "miracles" not bodies of water, my apologies.  As for the man who slept for one hundred years the scholar in the video is giving his opinion, all are welcome to share their own opinions!

Quote from: good logic on August 12, 2022, 03:46:24 AM
Peace Hawk.
As far as GOD is concerned there are no miracles. Everything is possible. GOD will not use the word -miracle - when He does something as everything is easily doable for Him.
You will find Qoran using the word  Aayat for signs, or verses or miracles-  as far as we are concerned-  and according to the context.

GOD bless you.
Peace.

Peace good logic, I prefer to read what God reveals and not invented interpretations that may mislead us.  What God says is sufficient.

God bless you both                                                       

:peace:
The secret to monotheism can be found in the garden

good logic

Peace Hawk.
That is fair enough and the right thing to do.

But when we read what God has revealed, our understanding of it is our own interpretation. and it is also possible to mislead our own self.
So I agree with you in that sense that we are only accountable for our own take of GOD s message.  We follow our understanding and keep seeking GOD s help and support to correct our errors and lead us towards certainty of the basics that save us from straying from GOD s path.

Like you say I was giving my opinion and also pointing out that each seek their own understanding and check all information using GOD Alone as helper ,explainer and guide.
GOD bless you brother.
Peace.

Aladin Azra

Quote from: hawk99 on September 03, 2022, 06:20:05 PM
Peace good brother, I did not intend to mislead you, the discussion is about "miracles" not bodies of water, my apologies.  As for the man who slept for one hundred years the scholar in the video is giving his opinion, all are welcome to share their own opinions!           

I hope we can agree that Allah is Haqq and the Qur'an, as His talk, is Haqq. So, whetever He said to us has to be Haqq, ie. has to exist somewhere, somehow, somewhat, sometime... If we think about its stories we have to have this in mind, and to try to locate the story in Haqq, defining its place/time and characters. People described as el-'aalemoon are those who're getting knowledge about all the things in all dimensions of Haqq, that's why it's usually translated as "worlds". These dimensions are: material world we live in, world of dreams, world of thoughts, world of imagination, world of emotions, etc. So, the stories from the Qur'an have to exist somewhere, somehow, somewhat, sometime...

These worlds (dimensions) have their own rules, of which material world we live in is governed by the natural law (yewm-ud-deen). It's not possible for humans to have wings in it, but it's very possible for humans to have wings in other dimensions, because they're governed by different laws. Thus, what would be (impossible) miracle in material world we live in can be totally normal in other dimensions.

This is why I raised a question of "sea", so we can rethink about location of an event taken as "a miracle". Also, I brought a view on "valley of bones" from that scholar to show that some stories are (or, at least, could be) from other dimensions, not from material world we live in.

I agree that our understanding can be fully "earthly", low. But we can also have other perspectives if we rise above the earth, for which we need sulTaan. In this case, sulTaan is in the fact that we're not just our bodies and there's existence in dimensions other then material world we live in.

Ordo ab LICENTIA.

hawk99

Sister Sarah I would like to personally thank you for this thread, you have exposed my lingering Christian and Sunni programing.  I was taught that the word "miracle" was a part of my education.  Now I wonder if the stories in the Quran should be taken "literally."   Help!

Quote from: Aladin Azra on August 13, 2022, 04:12:53 AM
The splitting of the sea would be supernatural, for sure, but there was no splitting of the sea. Even, it's not about sea at all, but the River. Nile is called el-baHr. And no, even Nile didn't split, but Musa used his stuff to measure river level and safely cross it.

Peace Aladin Azra I never read the above translation, can you be more specific?

:peace:
The secret to monotheism can be found in the garden

tutti_frutti

salam

i understand the answer as to why the "signs" are not given anymore lies in 17:59

"and what has prevented Us from sending signs except that the former peoples denied them and We gave thamud the she-camel visible, but they wronged her and We send not the signs except to make them fearful" (17:59)

peace