Author Topic: Summary: Authenticity of prophetic hadith: a pseudo-problem, by Wael Hallaq  (Read 440 times)

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
A short summary of this work.

Authenticity of prophetic hadith: a pseudo-problem, by Wael Hallaq

You can read it here or here (click links).

Most debates about hadith are if they are authentic or not / if they are true or not, i.e. did the prophet say or did it, or not?
Hallaq essentially points out that this issue, as debated by most modern scholars, is not really a problem, it’s a pseudo-problem. He argues, this is because the vast majority of Medieval Muslim scholars have already settled this matter because they did not regard "sahih" to imply "certain knowledge" / "truth" but only "probabilistic" information. In other words, they took "sahih" hadith to convey something that has a probability of being true.

This was because almost all hadith in sahih collections are "ahad" narrations, meaning they stem from a single narrator in the isnad (chain of transmission), or perhaps at most several different narrator sources.
This was in contrast to "mutawatir hadith" which represent many narrator sources for the same narration, i.e. lots of separate sources narrating the same hadith. How many is "lots" depends on the scholars, but must be at least 5 or more. This is likely related to Quran's criteria of 4 witnesses to establish something definitely happened before a court of law, e.g. in the case of adultery.
Only "mutawatir hadith" were considered to be on the level of certain knowledge.

Various famous scholars undertook research to find "mutawatir hadith" and came up with at the very most 9. Only one is agreed upon by all scholars apparently, and that is "He who intentionally lies concerning something I [the Prophet] have said will gain a seat in Hellfire".

It should be noted that the term "mutawatir" and its relation to hadith is a later invention, hence the Medieval scholars involved in this discussion. More info here.

#####

The above doesn't really help us because Traditionalists will simply argue if a hadith is likely true then it is better to follow it, but the main point of bringing this information up is to highlight "sahih" does not mean "true/authentic" even in Traditional Islamic studies.
"sahih" more correctly means "sound" as in the isnad (chain of transmission) is considered sound. That does not mean the content is sound or true etc. Many scholars make this distinction but I feel this has not filtered out into the mainstream.

All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

good logic

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +9/-4
Which Hadith after GOD s verses are they going to believe?

This strong statement from GOD should be enough for us to ignore every possible Hadith  as men s words have no authority for our salvation.

GOD has sent to us the best Hadith-Qoran- are we going to ignore GOD  ?

If one wants to study men s hadiths  and comment on them like one reads fictions or science or any other men s books they are welcome to it.

As far as GOD s religion is concerned, GOD s hadith is the only one required.
Here are all the verses with "hadiths" and its derivatives from Qoran:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPr_bYKxhSQ

Not a single verse mentions "hadith" of men or of the prophet! Is that not strange? Do you think GOD does not know that people are going to write hadiths?

This renders all men s hadiths nil:
If God renders one's heart content with Submission, he will be following a light from his Lord. Therefore, woe to those whose hearts are hardened against God's message; they have gone far astray.
أَفَمَن شَرَحَ اللَّهُ صَدرَهُ لِلإِسلٰمِ فَهُوَ عَلىٰ نورٍ مِن رَبِّهِ فَوَيلٌ لِلقٰسِيَةِ قُلوبُهُم مِن ذِكرِ اللَّهِ أُولٰئِكَ فى ضَلٰلٍ مُبينٍ
God has revealed herein the best Hadith; a book that is consistent, and points out both ways (to Heaven and Hell). The skins of those who reverence their Lord cringe therefrom, then their skins and their hearts soften up for God's message. Such is God's guidance; He bestows it upon whoever wills (to be guided). As for those sent astray by God, nothing can guide them.
اللَّهُ نَزَّلَ أَحسَنَ الحَديثِ كِتٰبًا مُتَشٰبِهًا مَثانِىَ تَقشَعِرُّ مِنهُ جُلودُ الَّذينَ يَخشَونَ رَبَّهُم ثُمَّ تَلينُ جُلودُهُم وَقُلوبُهُم إِلىٰ ذِكرِ اللَّهِ ذٰلِكَ هُدَى اللَّهِ يَهدى بِهِ مَن يَشاءُ وَمَن يُضلِلِ اللَّهُ فَما لَهُ مِن هادٍ

If we have the best hadith why the need for any other hadith?
This clearly tells us  that the best hadith for guidance is Qoran. NO MORE ,NO LESS.

EVERY OTHER MEN S HADITH SAHIH OR FALSE OR WHATEVER IS IRRELEVANT AND IS NOT NEEDED.
GOD bless.
Peace.
TOTAL LOYALTY TO GOD ALONE.   IN GOD I TRUST
38:65″ Say:? I warn you; There is no other god beside GOD, the One, the Supreme.?
https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/

SarahY

• Global Moderator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +2/-0
Sounds like an interesting read.

The above doesn't really help us because Traditionalists will simply argue if a hadith is likely true then it is better to follow it, but the main point of bringing this information up is to highlight "sahih" does not mean "true/authentic" even in Traditional Islamic studies.
"sahih" more correctly means "sound" as in the isnad (chain of transmission) is considered sound. That does not mean the content is sound or true etc. Many scholars make this distinction but I feel this has not filtered out into the mainstream.

I think most Mulims who study hadith know that there is a distinction also it suits the agenda of scholars to have layman/women accept the community practises rather than dispute authenticity/practices.

We all have blind spots.
Follow your heart but take your brain with you.
ambiguity is there for a reason, why do you think?
We're all different, so how can we all be equal?

reel

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +2/-1
Which Hadith after GOD s verses are they going to believe?

Mullahs: Depends on the target. Refer to stages:

You should accept at least some hadiths
You should accept what doesnt contradict the Quran.
You should accept muwattar hadiths.
You should accept sahih hadiths.
You should accept Bukhari’s hadiths.
You should accept the 6 collections.
You should accept the rest like musnad of Ibn Hanbal.
You should accept weak hadiths because they are just slightly behind the sahih ones.
"I fear that nothing will lead me to hell more than ḥadīth"-Hadith collector: Shu'ba Ibn al-Ḥajjāj

jkhan

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +5/-4
Peace...

I was reading Quran  verse number 16:102and I noticed a hadith at the bottom...  My goodness blaspheme on Prophet Mohamed and denigrating women to the lowest of lowest level...

Sahih Al bukhari  Vol. 1, hadith No.  28

I can't believe the mentality of those who invented such fabrications...
May Allah save true believers from leaning towards these lies...