Author Topic: Quran 2:54 kill yourselves!  (Read 347 times)

centi50

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-1
Quran 2:54 kill yourselves!
« on: July 15, 2021, 09:17:26 AM »
Salam to all

2:54 And Moses said to his people: "O my people, you have wronged your souls by taking the calf, so repent to your Maker, and kill yourselves. That is better for you with your Maker, so He would forgive you. He is the Forgiving, the Merciful."

What does kill yourselves mean here?

Someone explain

God bless

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
Re: Quran 2:54 kill yourselves!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 02:42:36 AM »
It's fine to ask questions but do you ever use the forum search function first?
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

centi50

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 12:10:58 PM »
It's fine to ask questions but do you ever use the forum search function first?

Yes I did I entered quran 2:54
But even if I did not use the search item u can point out to that info

God bless

ade_cool

• Apprentice
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 09:52:48 AM »
Salam to all

2:54 And Moses said to his people: "O my people, you have wronged your souls by taking the calf, so repent to your Maker, and kill yourselves. That is better for you with your Maker, so He would forgive you. He is the Forgiving, the Merciful."

What does kill yourselves mean here?

Someone explain

God bless

Salam centi50,

I would translate the verse as below:
[2:54] And Moses said to his people: “O my people, you have wronged yourselves by taking the calf, so repent to your Maker, and overcome yourselves; that is better for you with your Maker, so He would  forgive you. He is the Forgiving, the Merciful.”

Qatala seems to mean to have control over something. From this "general/common" meaning, the context will determine what kind/the form of control.

In the above verse, Moses commanded his people to overcome themselves meaning to have control over themselves instead of they following their desires to do things against what God commands.

In a battle, to overcome the enemy means the end result you have control over the enemy (whether the enemy surrender or the enemy is killed)

Some verses to ponder which show this:
[3:156] O you who believe do not be like those who rejected and said to their brothers when they had gone forth in the land or on the offensive: “If they were here with us they would not have died nor been overcome.” God will make this a source of grief in their  hearts, and God grants life and death, and God is watching over  what you do.

In 3:156, since the context is about battle, then "have died" would imply they are killed and not just die because of illness or because of natural death/old age. So it would be redundant to translate as "... have died nor been killed". The verse is better translated as "...have died nor been overcome".

[3:144] And Mohammed is but a messenger, like many messengers who have passed before him. If he dies or is overcome will you turn back  on your heels? And whoever turns back on his heels, he will not  harm God in the least. And God will recompense the thankful.

In 3:144, God reminds us that Muhammad is just a messenger. So if he dies (natural death or is killed) or is overcome, we must not turn our back.

Wassalam

centi50

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-1
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 04:36:03 AM »
Salam centi50,

I would translate the verse as below:
[2:54] And Moses said to his people: “O my people, you have wronged yourselves by taking the calf, so repent to your Maker, and overcome yourselves; that is better for you with your Maker, so He would  forgive you. He is the Forgiving, the Merciful.”

Qatala seems to mean to have control over something. From this "general/common" meaning, the context will determine what kind/the form of control.

In the above verse, Moses commanded his people to overcome themselves meaning to have control over themselves instead of they following their desires to do things against what God commands.

In a battle, to overcome the enemy means the end result you have control over the enemy (whether the enemy surrender or the enemy is killed)

Some verses to ponder which show this:
[3:156] O you who believe do not be like those who rejected and said to their brothers when they had gone forth in the land or on the offensive: “If they were here with us they would not have died nor been overcome.” God will make this a source of grief in their  hearts, and God grants life and death, and God is watching over  what you do.

In 3:156, since the context is about battle, then "have died" would imply they are killed and not just die because of illness or because of natural death/old age. So it would be redundant to translate as "... have died nor been killed". The verse is better translated as "...have died nor been overcome".

[3:144] And Mohammed is but a messenger, like many messengers who have passed before him. If he dies or is overcome will you turn back  on your heels? And whoever turns back on his heels, he will not  harm God in the least. And God will recompense the thankful.

In 3:144, God reminds us that Muhammad is just a messenger. So if he dies (natural death or is killed) or is overcome, we must not turn our back.

Wassalam

Salam ade_cool,

Thanks for your explanation

nimnimak_11

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 04:04:26 AM »
Peace Centi50

I interpret the verse in the following way:

When some people get fed up with life, they go out and kill people unjustly (note that killing sufficiently evil people is good and just. But if you kill someone randomly, or if you kill someone whom you believe to be good, then you are evil. If you kill someone whom you think is good, you are potently evil).

Some people when they want more from life, they go out raping and stealing. If someone is fed up with life, instead of doing these things, it is better that they kill themselves. That way they are not choosing respite (as Satan sought respite from God). That way they are not worthy of hell because they have not furthered evil. They have not willingly sought to be the kind of evil that you rightfully enjoy seeing suffer (love of God/Good is good, hatred of evil is good). Evil people sacrifice good for evil, good people sacrifice evil for good. 

When people go through hardship (which is a product of being unfair to God), the best thing they can do is to try and reconcile themselves. It is guaranteed that the only reason they are suffering is because there is a layer of insincerity to God within them. Once they TRULY reconcile this, their hardship will end. Some people may not have the willpower or passion for God/Truth/Goodness to reconciles this. In that scenario, if they really don't like life, and they really can't be bothered to continue, then they should kill themselves. Of course, if they interpret the act of killing themselves as being an act of rebellion or disobedience against God, then they should not do this, but when this is not their intention, then they are simply opting out. This is not a sin, and it is better than sinning (raping and stealing).