Author Topic: Working in a Tobacco Company  (Read 81 times)

cyrus1987

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
Working in a Tobacco Company
« on: May 01, 2021, 03:30:39 PM »
What is the Islamic view on working in a Tobacco company? Yes, Smoking is bad however Tobacco companies sell a legal product and are launching less riskier products.

nimnimak_11

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Working in a Tobacco Company
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 07:48:48 PM »
What is the Islamic view on working in a Tobacco company? Yes, Smoking is bad however Tobacco companies sell a legal product and are launching less riskier products.

Salam Cyrus

I think if it was me, I wouldn't take it (but I'm not sure). But if you're not sure, then maybe consider an alternative that is surer. If you can't find an alternative, then seek God's Guidance. Do you think you are more righteous when you take the job, or when you don't take the job? Do you think such a job is justified in a perfect existence or not?

cyrus1987

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 02:35:36 AM »
Salam Cyrus

I think if it was me, I wouldn't take it (but I'm not sure). But if you're not sure, then maybe consider an alternative that is surer. If you can't find an alternative, then seek God's Guidance. Do you think you are more righteous when you take the job, or when you don't take the job? Do you think such a job is justified in a perfect existence or not?

Thanks for the response. I would based on the following:

- Tobacco companies can't advertise anymore and do advertise that smoking kills (despite it being a government requirement)
- Tobacco companies have taken the approach that the best way to avoid ill health from smoking is to STOP smoking completely
- Adults are well aware to choose to smoke or not
- Tobacco companies are offering alternatives to cigarettes that pose a much reduced risk to health (still avoid altogether if you can)
- The evolution Tobacco companies are going through of offering reduced risk nicotine alternatives is remarkable
- Tobacco companies fight for market share amongst themselves rather than growing the number of smokers
- Tobacco is a LEGAL product

If I was to take the approach of not working in Tobacco companies due to ethics then this would close off many other companies for me as well e.g. retailers (exploit labour in developing countries), local GCC companies (treat workers badly), Rolls-Royce (contribute to air defense systems), Banks (interest) etc etc.

I've been doing an Istikhara for the last few months and been feeling more confident with my decision - also got a job in the whole process which is what Allah wants :)

Abdun Nur

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +3/-2
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 04:07:38 AM »
What is legal is positive law, this means it is granted rights and imposed duties enforced through a monopoly on violence, the grant is made from a superior (master) upon an inferior (slave), all law is therefore slave law, what you posses is inherent power which is not granted by a superior but inherent based on reciprocation.

The basis of inherent power is the reciprocal duty of care, this means it is incumbent upon you to treat all others as you yourself would wish to be treated, this same principle applies to all aspects of life, legislation is designed to allow what is against the reciprocal duty of care, and so we exist in a system that is based on the five forms of usury (riba).

So is making poisons or weapons, or being a solider, or policy enforcer (police), or MP breaking that inherent duty of care, yes all these activities break at inherent duty.