News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Depression and being Muslim

Started by Sarah, February 26, 2021, 11:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah

Peace

So when a person is depressed, Quranically speaking would this be them going through a trial/ test or a consequence of their lack of a connection and obedience to God?

Verse 20:124:

Sahih International: And whoever turns away from My remembrance - indeed, he will have a depressed life, and We will gather him on the Day of Resurrection blind.

Pickthall: But he who turneth away from remembrance of Me, his will be a narrow life, and I shall bring him blind to the assembly on the Day of Resurrection.

Mohsin Khan But whosoever turns away from My Reminder (i.e. neither believes in this Quran nor acts on its orders, etc.) verily, for him is a life of hardship, and We shall raise him up blind on the Day of Resurrection.

The above verse suggests whoever turns away from God's remembrance or reminder will live a depressed/ hard/ narrow life. Could you further elaborate 'depressed' is actual the most accurate meaning? A 'hard life' is not necessarily a depressed one. Some people go through many hardships and are not depressed (although it does often lead to depression). What exactly is meant by a 'narrow life'? If you have knowledge of the arabic words please do share your knowledge.

Verse 16:97:

Sahih International: Whoever does righteousness, whether male or female, while he is a believer - We will surely cause him to live a good life, and We will surely give them their reward [in the Hereafter] according to the best of what they used to do.

Pickthall: Whosoever doeth right, whether male or female, and is a believer, him verily we shall quicken with good life, and We shall pay them a recompense in proportion to the best of what they used to do.

Yusuf Ali: Whoever works righteousness, man or woman, and has Faith, verily, to him will We give a new Life, a life that is good and pure and We will bestow on such their reward according to the best of their actions.

Muhammad Sarwar: All righteously believing male or female will be granted a blessed happy life and will receive their due reward and more.

Is this verse referring to this life and the hereafter or just the hereafter? The Sahih International translation gives me the impression that both this life and the next is meant. However, the Yusuf Ali translation gives me the impression that only the next life is meant because of the, 'We will give a new life' part. Although it is possible that it may describe how a person's life can go from a depressed/ hard life to a new, good life. A transformed worldly life.

'These are the verses of Allah which We recite to you in truth. Then in what statement (hadith) after Allah and His verses will they believe? (45:6)'

Houriya

Peace Sarah,

Depression is a blessing, it is the beginning of healing.
People often learn in pain. Awareness is painful. Crossing the desert is a necessary step in order to be reborn and have complete confidence in the divine.
Accept pain, do not run away or struggle, the miracle of letting go occurs, the happiness of total submission to the divine is at the end.
Arm yourself with patience, after difficulty, ease.

Peace

spodacus

Salam, I always had a view that depression could be the way our soul is subconsciously speaking to us telling us that we are not connected properly with Allah swt. When I am overly focused on this world I start to feel anxiety come on my body, but when I align myself to God's path I feel my soul feel more comforted. Could lifelong suffering from depression be a by product of not following Gods path?

Houriya

Peace,

2  : 214 Or did you expect that you would enter Paradise, while the example of those who were before you came to you; they were stricken with adversity and hardship, and they were shaken until the messenger and those who believed with him said: "When is the victory of God?" Yes indeed, the victory of God is near.

God test believers to distinguish between those who are steadfast in the faith and those who will turn away.

good logic

I found the following definition interesting:

"Depression is a mood disorder that involves a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest. It is different from the mood fluctuations that people regularly experience as a part of life.

Major life events, such as bereavement or the loss of a job, can lead to depression. However, doctors only consider feelings of grief to be part of depression if they persist.

Depression is an ongoing problem, not a passing one. It consists of episodes during which the symptoms last for at least 2 weeks. Depression can last for several weeks, months, or years.

More importantly these symptoms:
The symptoms of depression can include:

a depressed mood
reduced interest or pleasure in activities once enjoyed
a loss of sexual desire
changes in appetite
unintentional weight loss or gain
sleeping too much or too little
agitation, restlessness, and pacing up and down
slowed movement and speech
fatigue or loss of energy
feelings of worthlessness or guilt
difficulty thinking, concentrating, or making decisions
recurrent thoughts of death or suicide, or an attempt at suicide

I found Qoran deals with all the problems we have in life and gives advice of how to look after body and soul/spirit.  However seeking GOD s help is a must!

" Wa Ida Maridtu Fa Huwa Yashfini" -" When I fall "ill" GOD cures me"-
Qoran-GOD s message- has the advice on how to  cure  depression and most mental illnesses.
GOD bless you all.
Peace.
TOTAL LOYALTY TO GOD ALONE.   IN GOD I TRUST
38:65″ Say:? I warn you; There is no other god beside GOD, the One, the Supreme.?
[url="https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/"]https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/[/url]