Author Topic: Verse 3:7 - Alternative understanding of the word "mutashābihātun"  (Read 909 times)

Iyyaka

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Verse 3:7 - Alternative understanding of the word "mutashābihātun"
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 12:26:30 PM »
Salam TellMeTheTruth,

Dear Iyyaka! As per my knowledge کتب kitabun means a writing/an instruction while کتابا kitaban may mean some/a few writings or instructions.
- Nominative case = đamma (u)
- Accusative case = Fatħa (a)

Moreover, the word من min means 'from/within' so منہ minhu would mean 'from/within it (the Quran) '.
- You're right - bad translation from me. Thanks. "From" is generally used to express that something originates from something else

Rest, I agree that the meaning 'similar' or 'resembling' fits far better than the traditional meanings and it clears words of a few more ayats. For example, یضل بہ in 2:26
Peace!
- Yes - the real debate in question is summary in (3:7:38): Kullun/all or not Kullun/all is from our Lord-master ? analogical/mathal (in 2:26) verses or not...

Peace

Mazhar

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 09:57:28 AM »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this subject - a big and deep analysis as usual ; even if we don't share the same uderstanding at this time.
To meditate.
Just one question for now : How do you consistently link or not verse 3:7 with verses 11:1 and 39:23 ?

The passive verb used in 11:1 is the source of Mohkamatun. It is explained in the linked article.

ajzhyder

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2020, 02:49:23 PM »
فَيَتَّبِعُونَ مَا تَشَابَهَ مِنْهُ

Thus they follow what resembles it (the Quran).

Brother Mazhar,
Is the above translation correct of the above part of the ayat?

reel

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +2/-1
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 10:42:38 PM »
Salam aleykoum,

The term "mutashābihātun" is translated in different ways:
- allegorical
- elusive
- ambiguous
- not entirely clear
- unspecific
- methaphoric
- various interpretations / multiple meanings
etc...
However, the Qur'an defines itself as a "Written/kitâb whose verses are made explicit", S11.V1.
This essential aspect of divine communication is repeatedly emphasized: nothing tortuous/'iwaj, S18.V1; nothing dubious S2.V2; nothing contradictive/ikhtilâf, S4.V82. On the contrary, it is said to be an explicit book/mubîn, S12.V1, in a clear language/mubîn, S26.V195.

Pardon me guys. I brought up the verse before at a time when I was fanatically researching and writing about laws that literally were of the style God is talking about in it. I feel like an idiot for not seeing the connection.

The thing is that the fair basics of laws are universal and never went through any change. This means mutashābihātun is what policy and law designers would call the Ambiguity Law:

Ambiguity means vagueness or uncertainty of meaning, the possibility of interpreting an expression in two or more distinct ways. In the context of statutory interpretation, ambiguity is used to indicate the doubt a judge must entertain before s/he can search for or apply a secondary meaning. In ordinary language it is often confined to situations in which the same word is capable of two different meanings.https://definitions.uslegal.com/a/ambiguity/

It makes sense for God to add them in Quran. How else to make it ever green?  :)
"I fear that nothing will lead me to hell more than ḥadīth"-Hadith collector: Shu'ba Ibn al-Ḥajjāj

TellMeTheTruth

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2020, 12:41:00 AM »
Salam reel!

How would you take 10:94 then?