News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Earliest written Record??

Started by Asifzaheer, August 19, 2020, 05:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asifzaheer

salaam alaikum,
what was the earliest written record/book on islam other than Quran??which is still available like the copy of Quran from the caliph Usman's time.

thanx

Jafar

Quote from: Asifzaheer on August 19, 2020, 05:35:08 PM
what was the earliest written record/book on islam other than Quran??which is still available like the copy of Quran from the caliph Usman's time.

If by the word "islam" here you mean the attitude of acceptance.
And *NOT* the religion named "Islam" (tm).
All patents and trademark rights reserved by Sunnis scholars and Imams.

Then there is a surviving material of Mark gospel dated 4th century AD called Codex Sinaiticus
And the surviving portion of Tao The Ching written on a bamboo wood scrolls dated 4th Century BC. Which contain recommendation and guidance about the attitude of acceptance.

Asifzaheer

i mean any book(not Quran) on the subject of islam,muslim be it religious or historical,only criteria that it must be earliest n still be available or in fragments.i.e first in the game

imrankhawaja

Historically the earliest names are like ibne ishaq and ibne hasham i am not sure their original work still survived or not.

Wakas

Quote from: Asifzaheer on August 20, 2020, 11:44:56 AM
i mean any book(not Quran) on the subject of islam,muslim be it religious or historical,only criteria that it must be earliest n still be available or in fragments.i.e first in the game

Great resource:
http://islam-and-muslims.com/islamic-books-online.html

You will find this:
Seeing Islam As Others Saw It
Robert Hoyland
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

Asifzaheer

Thanks a lot Wakas bhai,Khawaja bhai and Jafar bhai.

Asifzaheer

@ wakas bro
salaam alaikum
just finished that book..from that book it seems that early muslims including the prophet were very barbaric and ruthless.

Also can u plz recommend 1 or 2 must book to read (from the site u mentioned) which provides a overall basic ideas on Quran,Hadith,History and early muslims etc .

thanx

Wakas

peace,

Bear in mind it is written from their perspective so it will obviously be biased but I'm sure there was lots of battles/violence in the area early on.

My fav books from that list (I've only read some) are the following but I wouldn't describe them as basic.

Logic, Rhetoric, Legal Reasoning in The Quran (right click, save as) or www.scribd.com/doc/44863342/ (left click)
Rosalind Ward Gwynne

God and Man in the Quran (left click) or Download HERE (right click, save as)
Toshihiko Izutsu
Ethico-Religious Concepts in The Quran (right click, save as)
Toshihiko Izutsu

Discovering The Quran (right click, save as)
by Neal Robinson
Dictionary of Quranic Terms and Concepts (left click)
Mustansir Mir

Understanding Quran: Themes and Style (right click, save as)
Muhammad Abdel Haleem

Study of The Quran (left click)
Mohammed Abdul Malek

The Natural Republic (right click, save as)
Free-Minds.Org

Qur'an and Woman: Rereading the Sacred Text from a Woman's Perspective (left click)
Amina Wadud

Rethinking Tradition in Modern Islamic Thought (right click, save as)
Summary: article (left click), or read book online (left click)
Daniel Brown
The Development of Exegesis in Early Islam (left click)
Summary of Hadith Criticism
Herbert Berg

Hadith: Muhammad's Legacy in the Medieval and Modern World
Jonathan Brown
Transmission-and-Collection-of-Prophetic-Traditions-Hadith
www.scribd.com/doc/41077970/Summary-of-Hadith-Criticism
Western-Debates-on-Reliability-of-Hadith

Muhammad and the Believers: At the Origins of Islam (right click, save as) or HERE (left click)
Fred M. Donner

You can watch a video on this if you want:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RFK5u5lkhA

Misquoting Muhammad: challenges and choices of interpreting the prophet's legacy (left click)
Jonathan Brown

Ghulam Ahmad Parwez
Islam: a Challenge to Religion (left click)

Fazlur Rahman
Major Themes of Quran (right click)
Islamic Methodology In History (Word doc, right click, save as) or Islamic Methodology in History (PDF file, right click, save as)
http://www.scribd.com/doc/101495489/Islamic-Methodology-in-History (left click)

I have highlighted some of the ones I'd recommend starting with in bold. Please note links/files may expire on that page so I'd recommend downloading everything on that page, spread the word etc.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]