Author Topic: 33:59 "they would recognized" or "they will not be recognized" ?  (Read 336 times)

Houriya

• Apprentice
  • Karma +7/-0
Re: 33:59 "they would recognized" or "they will not be recognized" ?
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 07:39:47 AM »
Which one is the correct translation of 33:59?

33:59 O prophet, tell your wives, your daughters, and the wives of those who acknowledge that they should lengthen upon themselves their outer garments. That is better so that they would be recognized and not harmed. God is Forgiver, Compassionate.

or

33:59 O prophet, tell your wives, your daughters, and the women of the believers that they should lengthen upon themselves their outer garments. That is better so that they will not be recognized and harmed. God is Forgiver, Merciful.

33:59 O prophet, tell your wives, your daughters, and the wives of those who acknowledge that they should lengthen upon themselves their outer garments. That is better so that they would be less / adna recognized and not harmed. God is Forgiver, Compassionate.

Layth

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +15/-4
Re: 33:59 "they would recognized" or "they will not be recognized" ?
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 08:55:38 AM »
Peace,

I’ll give an example to perhaps get the point across.

According to the Quran, a man covering his genitals is adhering to the law of God. However, if I were residing in Mecca at the time of the Prophet, and walking around in shorts, then I may as well be carrying a sign saying: “I am a believer in the Quran”. This dress would get me killed by the rejectors.

Flip the story to a woman and you will see the point (a woman in a skirt or not wearing the Abaya/outer garment would be harassed in as she would be seen as someone outside their norms/values). This is true even today in modern Arabia - let alone at the time of Mohammed.
`And when God Alone is mentioned, the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter are filled with aversion; and when others are mentioned beside Him, they rejoice!` (The Quran 39:45)