Author Topic: Is life supposed to be hard for believers and submitters  (Read 1467 times)

ilma_bee

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +2/-0
Re: Is life supposed to be hard for believers and submitters
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 06:10:07 AM »
Life provides us with teachings through both pain and pleasure. Going through these events is what makes us or breaks us. It changes us for the better or the worse depending on how we face these events.

Both pain and pleasure are neither good nor bad. If you call pleasurable things good and painful things bad you are deeply mistaken.

So we should not feel sorry when someone is in pain. Then why should we help anyone to get better in any situation?

Cerberus

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Is life supposed to be hard for believers and submitters
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 02:50:31 AM »

So we should not feel sorry when someone is in pain. Then why should we help anyone to get better in any situation?

It doesn't mean you should or shouldn't do any of that.

First of all, so I'm not misunderstood I'll develop my initial post. By pain I mean everything from discomfort to actual pain, and pleasure everything from comfort to the greatest pleasures.

Take these examples:
- Containing one's anger is painful while expressing it is pleasurable
- Containing one's sexual desire is painful while expressing it is pleasurable.
- Containing one's hatered is painful while expressing it is pleasurable.

Most of the "virtues" in practice have to do with this pain/pleasure dynamic, wherein to be virtuous you have to let go of the little bit of pleasurable and endure the little bit of pain in order to improve.

There is nothing inherently righteous in pleasure, or in wealth or in life, as there is nothing inherently vile in pain, or in poverty, or in death. It is our actions that we deem good or bad based on our understanding of good and bad.

Now to answer what you said:

"So we should not feel sorry when someone is in pain"

Feeling sorry is something that happens instinctively, it is as low as that, nothing impressive about it. Now to understand someone's pain is something else.

"Then why should we help anyone to get better in any situation?"
We should help when we judge it is right for us to "help". Many times we think we're helping when we're not helping at all. To properly and efficiently help someone you have to understand them and understand their issue. to "help" someone out of pity to appease yourself is not that impressive of a deed in my opinion.