Author Topic: Which is your favourite interpretation(into English) of the Quran?  (Read 1174 times)

Ervin

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Salam.

I was just wandering which interpretation of the Quran do you like the best? In case you haven’t checked out different interpretations of the Quran into English, I would suggest to do so and than come back and let us know which one, if you wish to do so.

I am not literate in Arabic, I can only speak southern Slavic language spoken by Bosnians, Montenegrins, Croatians and Serbs( which is pretty much one same language) and obviously English. However, from the research that I have done on the time internet it seems that the Monotheist group version on the Quran is so different from other versions that it seems flawed. However, like I said, I don’t know Arabic( apart from some words) so it’s harder for me to work this out.

Thanks
My real name is also Ervin

Mazhar

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Which is your favourite interpretation(into English) of the Quran?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 11:55:52 PM »
Salam.

I was just wandering which interpretation of the Quran do you like the best? In case you haven’t checked out different interpretations of the Quran into English, I would suggest to do so and than come back and let us know which one, if you wish to do so.

I am not literate in Arabic, I can only speak southern Slavic language spoken by Bosnians, Montenegrins, Croatians and Serbs( which is pretty much one same language) and obviously English. However, from the research that I have done on the time internet it seems that the Monotheist group version on the Quran is so different from other versions that it seems flawed. However, like I said, I don’t know Arabic( apart from some words) so it’s harder for me to work this out.

Thanks

May be you find all alike.
https://www.islamawakened.com/

Ervin

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 06:17:30 AM »
Peace Mazhar and thanks.

I had a look at that link and they all say in Fatiha ...Merciful Compassionate, or some other word that means those two. Now, the monotheist group interpretation says Almighty Merciful. How can Compassionate also mean Almighty? Or how come pretty much all of them interpret one way and the monotheist group interprets differently? And it’s not only this word? There are other places where the interpretation just doesn’t make sense to me.

Layth

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +15/-3
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 11:22:13 PM »
Salam Ervin,

The reason for the difference is because we choose to study the Quran while allowing it to speak for itself.

Most translations are simply a copy of each other - so if one makes a mistake, the rest will most likely repeat the same.

Here is why Alrahman is translated as "Almighty":

https://free-minds.org/al-rahman-al-raheem-most-important-pair
`And when God Alone is mentioned, the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter are filled with aversion; and when others are mentioned beside Him, they rejoice!` (The Quran 39:45)

Mazhar

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 11:10:25 AM »
Salam Ervin,

The reason for the difference is because we choose to study the Quran while allowing it to speak for itself.

Most translations are simply a copy of each other - so if one makes a mistake, the rest will most likely repeat the same.

Here is why Alrahman is translated as "Almighty":

https://free-minds.org/al-rahman-al-raheem-most-important-pair

ٱلرَّحْـمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيـمِ

It is an Adjectival Phrase.
Ar'Reh'maan: This unique, rarest of the rare Personal Name of Allah the Exalted has widely been discussed by scholars, Muslims, Jews and Christians included, for determining its meanings by considering it as an exclusive Attribute of the Sustainer Lord of the Universes. George Sale had translated it as "the most merciful" and John Medows Rodwell as "compassionate". The other translators in timeline have merely copied them and likewise translated it as an adjectival with synonyms or synonymous words like "most gracious"; "the beneficent"; "the All-merciful". No translator and exegete, to the best of my knowledge and study, considered it as Proper Name.

Grand Qur’ān is perhaps the only book about which scholars, both believing and non-believing, quite often opt not to adhere to otherwise well accepted norms of behaviour - academic discipline of transferring a book of one language to another language. Just one example suffices to prove this unusual practice. One of the basic obligations of a Translator, who has self-assigned the task of translating a book into another language, is that he should firstly thoroughly study it to locate the Proper Nouns and identify them whether it is name of a person/sentient, place, or organization. We have in academics means and methods to distinguish a Proper Noun - Personal Name in a lengthy text. None seems to have cared to resolve whether Ar'Reh'maan is the Proper Noun - Name of Allah the Exalted, despite the fact that it finds mention for fifty-seven times in the text of Grand Qur’ān; fully declinable in all cases, nominative, accusative and genitive.

With regard to nouns, the basic distinction in languages is common noun and proper noun. The perception of the contents of source text may be distorted extensively if it is not resolved about a noun as to whether it is a common noun or proper noun, and whether it is descriptive or non-descriptive.

http://haqeeqat.pk/Allah-Ar'Reh'maan.htm

Iyyaka

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 04:01:41 AM »
ٱلرَّحْـمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيـمِ

It is an Adjectival Phrase.
Ar'Reh'maan: This unique, rarest of the rare Personal Name of Allah the Exalted [...] considered it as Proper Name.
http://haqeeqat.pk/Allah-Ar'Reh'maan.htm
Basmala : bis'mi l-lahi l-raḥmāni l-raḥīmi"
=> (in bold) N – masculine noun.
Question n°1 : determined by annexation with the word l-lahi ? yes or no ?
If yes, then question n° 2: singular or general meaning ?
So, if determined + singular = unique, right ? If so then which name is unique ?

Mazhar

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 11:58:17 AM »
Basmala : bis'mi l-lahi l-raḥmāni l-raḥīmi"
=> (in bold) N – masculine noun.
Question n°1 : determined by annexation with the word l-lahi ? yes or no ?
If yes, then question n° 2: singular or general meaning ?
So, if determined + singular = unique, right ? If so then which name is unique ?

بِسۡمِ ٱللَّهِ
These three words, a preposition, a common noun and a Proper Noun constitute the first grammatical unit.  It comprises of a Prepositional Phrase + Possessive Phrase.
http://haqeeqat.pk/1.BismilAllah.htm

First Noun is also Definite by construct. The Name of Allah. So it is distinct name of Entity Allah. And that is immediately mentioned in same case ending as Badal.

Amra94

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 08:00:47 AM »
Ja citam prevod od Abdel Haleem i ucim arapski na corpus Quran.

Ervin

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 05:24:00 AM »
Peace.

Thanks Layth, Mazhar and the rest.

I haven’t fully read all of the answers, but I do plan to. I sort of get the gist.

Ok,  the following is another example where it seems way to different between Monotheist group and others. The following:

[2:49]   And recall that We delivered you from the people of Pharaoh. They inflicted on you terrible persecution, killing your sons and sparing your women. Therein was a tremendous trial from your Lord.

The above says: “sparing your women”.

While the Monotheist group says” raping your women”.

Now,  can you please explain  to me how does one meaning of the word means  “sparing”in Arabic and the other “raping”?

By the way, I am not sceptical about the existence of God( I know God exists, atheism for me is a strong delusion for instance). I just am looking for a accurate revelation from Him/God.

Also, I must say that some Monotheist group translations in the Quran ( and explained by the natural republic) make much more sense than the traditional. Just thought I say this so that you know I am not being biased.

Thanks

Iyyaka

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 08:01:30 AM »
Ok,  the following is another example where it seems way to different between Monotheist group and others. The following:

[2:49]   And recall that We delivered you from the people of Pharaoh. They inflicted on you terrible persecution, killing your sons and sparing your women. Therein was a tremendous trial from your Lord.

The above says: “sparing your women”.

While the Monotheist group says” raping your women”.

Now,  can you please explain  to me how does one meaning of the word means  “sparing”in Arabic and the other “raping”?

Thanks
Peace Ervin,

(2:49:11)
      wayastaḥyūna
      ?
      CONJ – prefixed conjunction wa (and)
      V – 3rd person masculine plural (form X) imperfect verb
      PRON – subject pronoun

Interesting questioning.

This allows among other things to emphasize the role of propositions to understand the meaning of a word as well as its literal context (the wa and the form X have an incidence here).

The form x appears 9 times in the quran and it takes 3 different meanings depending on the preposition:

1) Form x + min = blush, be ashamed of ..
=> 2 times in [33:53]

2) Form x + an = do not dare to do something out of modesty or reserve.
=> 1 time in [2:26]

3) Without preposition
=> 6 times including verse [2:49].
2 options:
3.1 leave alive, let live
3.2 live

the textual context and syntax are clear and point to proposition 3:
there is a contrast between the plight of children and that of women:
- the children are put to death and,
- by contrast, their mothers are alive.

Now, should we adopt the meaning 3.1 or 3.2 ?

a little detour through the senses of the form x:
The form x comes from a state verb (form I verb ḥayya = to live with the idea of ​​shrinking), then the meaning of the form x may have an estimated value (judge as ..). So, to summary :
- The basic state verb meaning "to be alive".
- Estimate will therefore mean here "to consider someone or something as alive".

Indeed, after the death of her child, by addition of murder, which mother can feel alive? She would like to be dead in their place..something is dead in her even if outside she is alive.

So, in conclusion, we can translate the [2:49] by: "[...] and let your women as alive ..".
The word "sparing" is good but not precise enough to give depth to the meaning of this word in the context of the history of Moses and Pharaoh.