Author Topic: Is it wrong to go to University because of loans  (Read 270 times)

Sarah

• Apprentice
Is it wrong to go to University because of loans
« on: December 01, 2019, 04:36:19 PM »
Peace

So if I go to University I would have to take out a student loan which I would borrow. Over time, I would be charged additional interest on my loan.

But islamically speaking, I'm not wronging anybody by taking their money. Other people would be taking my money.

Life is hard, getting a decent job is hard. University is one path to a better job because my current job is rubbish.
😃👀✋

jkhan

• Truth Seeker
Re: Is it wrong to go to University because of loans
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 08:03:16 PM »
Peace

So if I go to University I would have to take out a student loan which I would borrow. Over time, I would be charged additional interest on my loan.

But islamically speaking, I'm not wronging anybody by taking their money. Other people would be taking my money.

Life is hard, getting a decent job is hard. University is one path to a better job because my current job is rubbish.

Peace Sarah...

Thanks God you have entered to University....Having education is not at all violating any rules... what you mean by "islamically" speaking ... lol :laugh: .... Enjoy your time dude in University..... I wish you have a bright future.... God is not harsh .... He will let you know all what is right and what is wrong...Don't call your current job rubbish....at least you have it.... if you don't have it, then? :confused:

good logic

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 03:23:55 AM »
Peace Sarah.
Have you made a mistake in your title writing it as?
IS IT WRONG TO GO TO UNIVERSITY BECAUSE OF LOANS?
This to me means one wants the loan first and foremost . There are other ways to get a loan without going to university.

However if you mean: Is it wrong to go to university and are forced because of circumstances to get a student loan?
I take it you mean this ,then of course one should get the loan and persevere in finishing the course and try their best to improve their life and education. Low interest loans ,to me according to my understanding of Qoran are like a business transaction ,they are not usury.
Best of luck with your studies.
GOD bless you.
Peace.
TOTAL LOYALTY TO GOD ALONE.   IN GOD I TRUST

38:65″ Say:? I warn you; There is no other god beside GOD, the One, the Supreme.?

http://www.total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/website-pages/good-logic/

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 02:52:58 AM »
Quranically, there is some debate as to what usury is, e.g. any growth in the debt, or only significant growth in the debt.

Student loans are a debt however they are not like other loans. In the UK (and likely other countries) you only have to repay the loan once you start earning over a certain amount of income. You may never have to repay anything depending on what you earn, and after 30 years (in the UK) the loan amount is deleted. Since it can be wiped, it could also be seen as a society charity not strictly a loan.

So, in my personal opinion, based on my knowledge of Quran, I would say it is permissible to get such a "loan". As a side note, anyone on a tight budget I always strongly recommend learning about money saving as you can save so much money by being savvy.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

Mohammed.

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 10:45:14 AM »
salaam,

Qur’an mentions/agree debt (2:282). But I don’t think this is applicable to an interest based debt, since God says 2:276. Therefore, I think it’s better avoid supporting the growth of any kind of interest systems, -to support God's system/deen. That would likely be kind of the swalat (with patience) mentioned in verses like 2:45, 153 etc. in my opinion.

(Note that Qur'an only uses 'riba' -there is no such classification like Low interest, High interest, Usury etc. in the Qur’an, and it’s clear from 2:278-279).

And this is a familiar Qur'anic phrase:
“it is God who provides or restricts for whoever He chooses from among His servants”
-my current understanding. Verify for yourself -17:36.
O you who believe! Enter perfectly in islam/ Surrender yourselves wholly unto God [2:208], [3:19-20,85 2:132]