Author Topic: Thoughts on Matthew 20:17?  (Read 1094 times)

Gahaiile

• Beginner/Inquirer
Thoughts on Matthew 20:17?
« on: January 17, 2017, 07:39:25 AM »
From a translation of 17:20:
"For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ?Move from here to there,? and it will move"

What're your thoughts on this?
deleted

Jafar

• Wise One / Burnout
Re: Thoughts on Matthew 20:17?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 10:16:20 AM »
Moving mountain is an expression for solving big problems / issues which seems to be unsolvable..

Aries

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 10:45:36 AM »
Salam  :peace:

I am so sorry but I will be the one pointing out the "lapsus": it is 17.20 and not 20.17.

Also the context should be provided as it presents a better picture: Jesus just cast out a demon from someone and the disciples asked him why they could not cast it out while Jesus could. Jesus then answers: "17.20 Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you if you have Faith like a grain of mustard seed...".

So as you see the understanding is deeper than just achieving things, it has to do with an insight and inner fight, imo.

Man of Faith

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 08:02:41 AM »
It has to do with confidence, being secure. One must think that "everything is possible nothing is impossible".
Website reference: http://iamthatiam.boards.net

IsaMuslim

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 06:52:19 AM »
In addition, I would add my personal thoughts regarding that verse, on which I pondered for a time, and which I consider a vital one:

This verse further emphasizes how Jesus is doing all these things by the permission of God, and telling them that they could do the same if they had faith; I would also link closely this episode with the walking on water episode: Peter starts walking on water like Jesus, but as soon as he doubts, he cannot do that anymore and he begin sinking.
Is he who is based on proof from his Lord, as he for whom his evil works have been adorned for him and they followed their desires?
~ 47:14 ~