Author Topic: Addition of Isa (SA) to shahaddah?  (Read 399 times)

D

• Beginner/Inquirer
Addition of Isa (SA) to shahaddah?
« on: August 20, 2019, 02:52:00 PM »
Asalam alaykum all,

I am a recent revert, coming from Catholicism. I found it quite beautiful to read of people coming from this direction adding the addition of "wa ashadu an na Isa ibn Maryam rasullah"; a sign of respect of the former faith while an affirmation (being the shahadah) of the truth of Islam.

What are thoughts on this? Are there preferred formats of how to make this addition, and would one typically only say it sometimes, or during Salah, etc.? Any issues with doing so?

Best,
D

seekingtruth1111

• Apprentice
Re: Addition of Isa (SA) to shahaddah?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 03:23:21 PM »

huruf

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 12:36:26 AM »
Anybody can testify to whatever as he or she feels. The shahada does not have to be a ritual. It is not like a ticket for a show, it is an expression of one's truth and truthfulness.

On the other hand there are may profphets, mor than any of us can know, since God has sent them all peoples, and we are told by God that muhammed, the praised one, which is what the word means, is the seal of prophets, therefore, when we say a shahada with muhammad ALL prophets are included. That is the point of the seal of prophets. All of them are praised, all of them gave their life to humanity and acknowledged themselves as nothing but as God's servants.

Salaam

spodacus

• Beginner/Inquirer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 06:41:35 AM »
Salam D,

See the following verses in the Qur'an about how prophet Isa will react to his "followers" on the Day of Atonement:

5:116 And God will say: "O Jesus, son of Mary, did you tell the people to take you and your mother as gods other than God?" He said: "Glory to you, I cannot say what I have no right of. If I had said it then You know it, You know what is in my self while I do not know what is in Your self. You are the Knower of the unseen."

5:117 "I only said to them what You commanded me to say, that you shall serve God my Lord and your Lord; and I was witness over them as long as I was with them, but when You terminated my life, You were watcher over them. You are witness over all things."

5:118 "If You punish them, then they are Your servants, and if You forgive them, then You are the Noble, the Wise."

D

• Beginner/Inquirer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 02:19:06 PM »
Thanks for the replies, all. I feel I have been somewhat misunderstood here. I am definitely not ascribing anything to any prophet; I was talking about a specific tradition for converts from Christianity (which I believe comes from a hadith). In any case, I appreciate the supporting sura in the Qu'ran! I'll not press this thread further.

Salam,
D

Layth

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 03:43:03 PM »
Salam D,

We do not testify to any messenger/prophet as that is against the teachings of the Quran.

The religion for us is to God alone....nothing else really matters.
`And when God Alone is mentioned, the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter are filled with aversion; and when others are mentioned beside Him, they rejoice!` (The Quran 39:45)

Jafar

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 02:23:30 PM »
I am a recent revert, coming from Catholicism. I found it quite beautiful to read of people coming from this direction adding the addition of "wa ashadu an na Isa ibn Maryam rasullah"; a sign of respect of the former faith while an affirmation (being the shahadah) of the truth of Islam.

What are thoughts on this? Are there preferred formats of how to make this addition, and would one typically only say it sometimes, or during Salah, etc.? Any issues with doing so?

There are no issues in saying any mantra that you want, in any language that you want during any time that you want.
Because truly it doesn't matter..

Having said that, the "Shahada" by itself is a copied and pasted concept from Catholicism / Orthodoxism, known as "The Apostolic Creed".
The Apostolic Creed by itself is a copied and pasted concept from Judaism, known as "The Shema".

Whatever Shahada / Creed / Shema that you (or anybody else) wanted to say (or not want to say) is not an issue at all.
Because it doesn't matter..

Do it if you feel it will makes you a better man / woman.
Your character and deeds.. now those are the things that actually really matters.