News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Changing last name when getting married

Started by Amra94, July 08, 2019, 02:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imrankhawaja

Sometimes i think different way and its interesting too.

Let say a woman is providing for family and husband is it ok if husband change his last name adding the name of his wife as a family ?

Some predictors already claim the son/daughter will b called by mother name on the day of judgement due to the chasity ?

Although whats wrong in here by calling kid by mother name ? Where chasity really affects the lives of poor women on the other hand who cares about hereafter when there is no need to cover up a chaste character ?

Things sometimes messed with logic and rules of tradition/custom becoz males are behind all those traditions. And also all those laws are being put forward by male which heavily hint the manmade God/scriptures try to control the women.

huruf

Quote from: Amra94 on July 14, 2019, 03:27:47 PM
For most people it's just to feel more like you're a family. Btw Quranically the father has the responsibility to provide for the family (4:34, 2:233). I don't see how a woman is like a slave by taking the husbands name when he is the one who takes care of her.

S  in fact you are saying that she is the husands' first child and not only first child but really a child unable to do anything at all. That is the husband is taking the afther's place, who according to your set up would be the one who took care of her previously. Only males become adults? Women do nothing that would allo them to be contributors to society even if they do not stand as autnonomous proffessionals?

The whole story about changing name is absurd. You have a name for identity. How can you change your identity by the mere fact of getting married and the other partner does nto change his identity but you change yours. In fact it seems almost like a fraud: you arry a woman, and then when you marry her she is nto the same woman.

Salaam

Amra94

Quote from: huruf on July 15, 2019, 04:54:29 AM
S  in fact you are saying that she is the husands' first child and not only first child but really a child unable to do anything at all. That is the husband is taking the afther's place, who according to your set up would be the one who took care of her previously. Only males become adults? Women do nothing that would allo them to be contributors to society even if they do not stand as autnonomous proffessionals?

The whole story about changing name is absurd. You have a name for identity. How can you change your identity by the mere fact of getting married and the other partner does nto change his identity but you change yours. In fact it seems almost like a fraud: you arry a woman, and then when you marry her she is nto the same woman.

Salaam
Nobody said anything about women not being able to contribute to society you're such a triggered feminist. RELAX

Layth

Salam,

I think this is a clear-cut issue.

- God tells us to call adopted children by their father's name.

- God calls Myriam "daughter of Imran"

That gives the precedent and clarity of naming children (male or female) after their father's names.
`And when God Alone is mentioned, the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter are filled with aversion; and when others are mentioned beside Him, they rejoice!` (The Quran 39:45)

Amra94

Quote from: Bikrun on July 14, 2019, 04:22:10 PM
Salam

May I ask why it is given that 33:5 talks only about adopted children? And who are those "them" that should call them by their fathers?
Salam, 33:5 talks only about adopted sons so that you know what name they should have, which is their biological fathers name if you know who he is. "Them" = adopted sons.

Bikrun

Quote from: Amra94 on July 15, 2019, 09:28:54 AM
Salam, 33:5 talks only about adopted sons so that you know what name they should have, which is their biological fathers name if you know who he is. "Them" = adopted sons.

Salam,

My question, to which I have no answer and it's a simple wondering, is why it is ONLY about adopted children. The previous verse talks about 2 groups, why everybody accepts that 33:5 refers only to one of them?

On the other hand, what I was wondering is not who are "them" in the verse, but who are those "they" who should call others by their fathers. There is not "oh you who believe" or similar addressing in the surah. So who are "they" who shall call others by their fathers?

Considering also that the verses following are very concrete referring to the prophet and his wives, my questions arise...

Just setting out some wonderings
42:43    And for he who is patient and forgives, then that is an indication of strength

Amra94

Quote from: Bikrun on July 15, 2019, 11:03:48 AM
Salam,

My question, to which I have no answer and it's a simple wondering, is why it is ONLY about adopted children. The previous verse talks about 2 groups, why everybody accepts that 33:5 refers only to one of them?

On the other hand, what I was wondering is not who are "them" in the verse, but who are those "they" who should call others by their fathers. There is not "oh you who believe" or similar addressing in the surah. So who are "they" who shall call others by their fathers?

Considering also that the verses following are very concrete referring to the prophet and his wives, my questions arise...

Just setting out some wonderings
Salam, thanks for making your questions more clear. It is only about adopted sons because the verse continues "but if you do not know their fathers, then they are your BROTHERS in religion and those entrusted to you.

Imo it makes sense the believers should call adopted sons by their fathers name because 33:4 does not sound like God is only talking to the prophet. And it doesnt actually say "o wives of the prophet" either.

huruf

Quote from: Amra94 on July 15, 2019, 09:22:19 AM
Nobody said anything about women not being able to contribute to society you're such a triggered feminist. RELAX
Quote from: Layth on July 15, 2019, 09:23:42 AM
Salam,

I think this is a clear-cut issue.

- God tells us to call adopted children by their father's name.

- God calls Myriam "daughter of Imran"

That gives the precedent and clarity of naming children (male or female) after their father's names.

It simply states that the usage of knowing the children by their father's name should not be changed in the case of the adopted children, because it seems that that was what as being done. Nowhere in the Qur'an it is set as a rule that always, everywhere, forever for everybody ONLY the fathers name may be used.

Isa ibnu Maryam,

Salaam

huruf

Quote from: huruf on July 15, 2019, 12:58:41 PM
It simply states that the usage of knowing the children by their father's name should not be changed in the case of the adopted children, because it seems that that was what as being done. Nowhere in the Qur'an it is set as a rule that always, everywhere, forever for everybody ONLY the fathers name may be used.

Isa ibnu Maryam,

Salaam

Quote from: Amra94 on July 15, 2019, 09:22:19 AM

If you do not have arguments, you do not have to answer. Launching personal "niceties" does not add any value to the exchange.

Amra94

Quote from: huruf on July 15, 2019, 01:30:25 PM
If you do not have arguments, you do not have to answer. Launching personal "niceties" does not add any value to the exchange.
I have stated my argument which is just because a woman changes her last name to her husband's doesn't mean she's a child of his, a slave, not able to contribute to society etc. And you keep telling me that I'm saying these things for example "in fact you are saying that she is the husbands' first child and not only first child but really a child unable to do anything at all."