Author Topic: Changing last name when getting married  (Read 5103 times)

Bikrun

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +2/-0
Re: Changing last name when getting married
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2019, 10:49:53 AM »
Salam, thanks for making your questions more clear. It is only about adopted sons because the verse continues "but if you do not know their fathers, then they are your BROTHERS in religion and those entrusted to you.

Imo it makes sense the believers should call adopted sons by their fathers name because 33:4 does not sound like God is only talking to the prophet. And it doesnt actually say "o wives of the prophet" either.

Salam

Thanks, sis, I am thankful and I wish I could share your absolute answer, but it happens I still have the same question  :'(

My wondering is simple and based on: call them by their fathers sounds absolutely patriarchal. You know? In this world before the DNA tests, the only sure was the mother, and of course God knows it. So, why this "if you do not know their fathers". Actually only the woman can know....
42:43    And for he who is patient and forgives, then that is an indication of strength

Amra94

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2019, 10:53:03 AM »
It simply states that the usage of knowing the children by their father's name should not be changed in the case of the adopted children, because it seems that that was what as being done. Nowhere in the Qur'an it is set as a rule that always, everywhere, forever for everybody ONLY the fathers name may be used.

Isa ibnu Maryam,

Salaam
Jesus is called son of Mary because he didn't have a dad.

Amra94

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2019, 10:58:17 AM »
Salam

Thanks, sis, I am thankful and I wish I could share your absolute answer, but it happens I still have the same question  :'(

My wondering is simple and based on: call them by their fathers sounds absolutely patriarchal. You know? In this world before the DNA tests, the only sure was the mother, and of course God knows it. So, why this "if you do not know their fathers". Actually only the woman can know....
Salam, if you don't know who their father is then I don't see a problem with calling them by their mothers name. Jesus who didn't have a father was called by his mother's name.

huruf

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +1/-1
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2019, 11:06:37 AM »
Jesus is called son of Mary because he didn't have a dad.

Yes ma'am.

I guess that is goo for all the children all over the world that do not have a father. That is very very nice so you can make a difference between those wretches and those coming from decent families.

The world without men and women who wants truth and equity en human dealings seems to have a hard time digesting trusths about which nice people should not speak about during meals.

Nice mother virgin, just one, and pink religion which does not upset bourgoeois life.

I am shocked by the amount of western XIX and XX century bourgeois culture that has been absorbed into  "Islam" as the real and godly revealed truth. Muslims for XIX century western lifestyle, the real Islam thing. 

Taling about neptin, I think my quest is in fact more hopeless than hers.

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

good logic

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +7/-2
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2019, 11:33:55 AM »
Peace all.
I have a story about changing names:

Alexander was a military judge as well as a military leader. One day, they brought to him a soldier accused of cowardice
Alexander :  What is your name soldier?
Soldier:   (speaking quietly under his breath)My name is Alexander.
Alexander:   Speak up soldier, I can barely hear you.
Soldier:  (this time loud enough) I am called Alexander Sir.
Alexander:   That is my name sake, how dare you would take such a powerful name when you seem to be a coward?
Soldier:   I am sorry Sir, I apologise. Forgive me!
Alexander:  Well soldier, your name has saved you this time and you have one more chance. Change the way you live or change your name.

I suppose one should consider to change the way they live, it is more beneficial than changing a name and the most important thing.
GOD bless.
Peace.
TOTAL LOYALTY TO GOD ALONE.   IN GOD I TRUST
38:65″ Say:? I warn you; There is no other god beside GOD, the One, the Supreme.?
https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/

Layth

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +17/-4
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2019, 11:36:36 AM »
Sorry, that doesn?t work.

If you don?t know their fathers name, then you name them ?brothers in the system?.

Quran never tells us to call them by their mothers (exception is Jesus who was conceived from only a woman).

P.s. in the Quran, the prophethood is transmitted through the male genes - not the female (another reason to keep the lineage in the father).
`And when God Alone is mentioned, the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter are filled with aversion; and when others are mentioned beside Him, they rejoice!` (The Quran 39:45)

Amra94

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 11:52:55 AM »
I don't think it's saying to just call them brothers in the system, it seems like it's saying they're your brothers even though you don't know their fathers name.

Amra94

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2019, 12:45:31 PM »
Even though Jesus was only conceived by Mary, he was still referred to as son of Mary not Jesus brother in the system.

Layth

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +17/-4
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2019, 01:02:51 PM »
Jesus is exempt because he had no father.
`And when God Alone is mentioned, the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter are filled with aversion; and when others are mentioned beside Him, they rejoice!` (The Quran 39:45)

Bikrun

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +2/-0
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2019, 01:38:50 PM »
Salam, if you don't know who their father is then I don't see a problem with calling them by their mothers name. Jesus who didn't have a father was called by his mother's name.

The verse says (Free-minds translation): "But if you do not know their fathers, then, as your brothers in the system and your patrons", ç

so mother´s name would be the last option, even in the mother is always known but the father is not for sure (only the mother can know, and it depends on the case)  :-\ the law might enclose the presumption of paternity but reality is other thing.

Then it follows: "There is no sin upon you for what mistake you made by it; but you will be responsible for what your hearts deliberately intend. God is Forgiver, Merciful".

How can someone deliberately intend something by naming (call) a child?  :-\

42:43    And for he who is patient and forgives, then that is an indication of strength