News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Unhealthy food temptations- Satan's whispers?

Started by Sarah, December 28, 2019, 12:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah

Peace

When we get the temptation to eat unhealthy food, unhealthy foods that are halal- is this part of satan's whispers?

When we know a food is bad for us i.e. sugar and we're so addicted to it we can't let it go, can't live without it and it's causing all sorts of health problems i.e. it's harming us...isn't that satan's whispers telling us to eat it?

On the other hand, we can't make haram what God made halal. Sugar is halal. So I can't say sugar is haram. But I do know it's bad for me when I have too much of it.

I've had this battle with mainly sugar for years. Then I tell myself sugar is evil but then I say no, I can't say it's haram when it's not. And calling it evil is almost like saying it's a sin to eat it...

But it's so harmful... :
https://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/endurance-library/146-reasons-sugar-ruins-your-health
'These are the verses of Allah which We recite to you in truth. Then in what statement (hadith) after Allah and His verses will they believe? (45:6)'

Cerberus

start with the root of your confusion, by defining good and evil.

My definition of good and evil is that what is good is reasonable while what is evil is unreasonable. Good and evil are in my opinion archaic terms. And people, for lack of understanding, simply used to associated a negative connotation to what seemed unreasonable and made it shameful, bad, evil, from the devil...and good things to be honorable, socially acceptable, "righteous". But it worked nonetheless.

Sugar is neither of that, but what a person (not animal) does with it can be reasonable or unreasonable. "good" or "bad". And it affects the person, either hurts them or benefits them. Thus the law of the universe is that the people who are reasonable in their actions will benefit from it. And those who are not will suffer from it. Think of reason as something of divine origin. "Whatever of good reaches you, is from Allah, but whatever of evil befalls you, is from yourself."

This idea is even reinforced when you consider the fact that your own body's biology is tempting you to take unreasonable actions for the sake of its self-fulfillement. The satan! It does not care whether it makes sense or not, or whether it's gonna hurt you or not...

So whether it's sugar or anything else...consider reasonable use of it. And pay attention to your own temptations and how they go against your "good" judgement. like a devil whispering in your ear or something (in archaic terms).