About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Is fish really halal?

Started by Amra94, June 03, 2019, 12:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amra94

Quote from: Cerberus on June 07, 2019, 08:55:41 AM
slaughter  :hail slaughter  :hail slaughter  :hail

The fact that it is mentioned in the quran, is it because it's the holiest, most pious,virtuous, god-observing way of killing an animal
or is it because it was the most appropriate way of killing an animal at that time ?
Well yeah. What's a more appropriate way today?

Mohammed.

Quote from: Cerberus on June 07, 2019, 08:55:41 AM
We've been given the tools to figure out the right way to do things, and if we didn't then how could we possibly discriminate between what is right or wrong ?
So, what is the right way you figured out? Did you find new rules other than what the Creator said?

It's been over a thousand years now...
Yeah, it's been over a thousand years now... but the change was for time, still we have the same Creator and the same Book/Guidance.

(Ignore it, if you believe that the Qur'an is not from the Creator)
-my current understanding. Verify for yourself -17:36.
O you who believe! Enter perfectly in islam/ Surrender yourselves wholly unto God [2:208], [3:19-20,85 2:132]

The Faiz

Peace,

I recognize that the God has made fish halal (permissable) but my concern was with what we can verify as tayyab (pure) or not. Properly slaughtered cow is halal but take that same meat and sully it with excrement or perhaps mix it with small bits of swine and suddenly it is no longer tayyab. Likewise, the fish (not all fish, but a large percentage) have something within them sullying their purity.

I wonder if global warming has allowed for increased proliferation of parasites in fish in our time. Much like increased bacteria observable in the warmer waters. Just a thought.

I wouldn't say someone eating fish is breaking the God's commandments but I would say it may not be best.

Regrading the comment about not worrying about parasites we can't see with the naked eye, I am very much referring to worms you can see with the naked eye. Even through grocery packaging in super markets.
These worms can cause disease, such as anisakiasis, among other things.

Just raising some awareness.

Faiz

Cerberus

You can't really claim that "this is the holiest way of doing things" and at the same time pretend to be interested to find "better ways" to do it because the claim itself shuts down any attempt of thought and understanding. It's a very lazy and ineffective way and it is showing very clearly on muslim countries.

Amra94

Quote from: The Faiz on June 07, 2019, 03:42:30 PM
Peace,

I recognize that the God has made fish halal (permissable) but my concern was with what we can verify as tayyab (pure) or not. Properly slaughtered cow is halal but take that same meat and sully it with excrement or perhaps mix it with small bits of swine and suddenly it is no longer tayyab. Likewise, the fish (not all fish, but a large percentage) have something within them sullying their purity.

I wonder if global warming has allowed for increased proliferation of parasites in fish in our time. Much like increased bacteria observable in the warmer waters. Just a thought.

I wouldn't say someone eating fish is breaking the God's commandments but I would say it may not be best.

Regrading the comment about not worrying about parasites we can't see with the naked eye, I am very much referring to worms you can see with the naked eye. Even through grocery packaging in super markets.
These worms can cause disease, such as anisakiasis, among other things.

Just raising some awareness.

Faiz

Yeah I agree. Since we've polluted the ocean, I think if you choose not to eat fish because it might be contaminated or have some kind of parasite then I don't think it's wrong to say it's impure to eat.

Amra94

Quote from: Cerberus on June 07, 2019, 05:02:09 PM
You can't really claim that "this is the holiest way of doing things" and at the same time pretend to be interested to find "better ways" to do it because the claim itself shuts down any attempt of thought and understanding. It's a very lazy and ineffective way and it is showing very clearly on muslim countries.
You didn't answer my question. The Quran tells us ways not to kill the animal and slaughtering isn't one of the prohibited ways. Not sure how else you can kill an animal that doesn't go against the prohibitions in 5:3.

hawk99

Peace Amra94, this is what you said before, suffocation was about the fish.

Quote from: Amra94 on June 05, 2019, 09:45:34 PM
It's cruel to catch a fish and let it suffocate to death.

Quote from: Mohammed. on June 06, 2019, 12:50:42 AM
peace Amra94,

You can't do slaughter for fish like in animals/birds.

Agreed

Quote from: Mohammed. on June 06, 2019, 11:42:07 AM
salaam,

How did you reach that conclusion? If it [remembering God's name] is for (just) before eating, it would be like "Eat in the name of your Lord" imho,

Peace Mohammed I simply quoted ayat 6:121 and pointed
out that the word slaughter does not appear there and that
your interpretation is yours.

Quote from: Mohammed. on June 06, 2019, 11:41:30 PM
So, don't you care the way in which animal being slaughtered?

Yeah I care.

Quote from: Amra94 on June 06, 2019, 04:57:50 PM

God's name should be mentioned over the animals before slaughter.
True

You say we should always be mindful of our Lord at all times, then, we should always be care about the way our Lord's creations are treated. right?

I totally agree with you

I remember The Creator not only before eating but also while eating any food (if my mind isn't distracted)
I remember and wonder about Allah the way He designed/engineered the food for us which I am eating, for example if it's an apple-its unique taste, texture, shape, colour, the way it grown etc. I enjoy it. And I thank my Lord for giving me an opportunity to experience this wonderful world. I was nothing worth mentioning before I came into existence.
And sometimes I wonder/remember the way He designed/engineered my mouth, tongue, teeth etc. the mechanism of chewing, digestion absorption and the mechanism of growth etc.

Excellent

The secret to monotheism can be found in the garden

Mohammed.

Guidance from the Creator of the animal or guidance from scientists/animal experts?

Scientific/technological methods are based on human understanding! Human understanding has limitations, which may harm the animal.
-my current understanding. Verify for yourself -17:36.
O you who believe! Enter perfectly in islam/ Surrender yourselves wholly unto God [2:208], [3:19-20,85 2:132]

Cerberus

It's true that human understanding is limited, it has evolved and is still evolving. Human ignorance on the other hand knows no limits. Its worse when this ignorance is disguised as a form of devotion and virtue.

Also, scientists are merely digging on the surface of things, only to discover the reasons behind how they work. It's reasonable and logical, and we are able to understand it because we've been given the ability to. To shut this ability down is at one's own peril.

Cerberus

Quote from: Amra94 on June 07, 2019, 05:29:28 PM
You didn't answer my question. The Quran tells us ways not to kill the animal and slaughtering isn't one of the prohibited ways. Not sure how else you can kill an animal that doesn't go against the prohibitions in 5:3.

It's not a big deal of a question, I was more criticizing the mentality behind some statements.
I think stunning with electric shock then "slaughtering" is better. You won't have to deal with the animal screaming with its throat open, while kicking and defecating and peeing, and blinking all at once.