Author Topic: Is fish really halal?  (Read 1528 times)

Amra94

• Apprentice
Is fish really halal?
« on: June 03, 2019, 09:50:47 AM »
In chapter 5:3 it says animals that are killed by strangulation are prohibited. Since fish die suffocating which is basically the same as being strangled to death, doesn't that mean you should slaughter a fish when you catch it and say the name of God over it in order for it to be considered halal? Instead of letting it suffocate.

5:3 Prohibited to you are dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than God, and [those animals] killed by strangling or by a violent blow or by a head-long fall or by the goring of horns, and those from which a wild animal has eaten, except what you [are able to] slaughter [before its death], and those which are sacrificed on stone altars, and [prohibited is] that you seek decision through divining arrows. That is grave disobedience. This day those who disbelieve have despaired of [defeating] your religion; so fear them not, but fear Me. This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion. But whoever is forced by severe hunger with no inclination to sin - then indeed, God is Forgiving and Merciful

imrankhawaja

• Wise One / Burnout
Re: Is fish really halal?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 10:46:59 PM »

Layth

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 01:56:31 AM »
In chapter 5:3 it says animals that are killed by strangulation are prohibited. Since fish die suffocating which is basically the same as being strangled to death, doesn't that mean you should slaughter a fish when you catch it and say the name of God over it in order for it to be considered halal? Instead of letting it suffocate.

5:3 Prohibited to you are dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than God, and [those animals] killed by strangling or by a violent blow or by a head-long fall or by the goring of horns, and those from which a wild animal has eaten, except what you [are able to] slaughter [before its death], and those which are sacrificed on stone altars, and [prohibited is] that you seek decision through divining arrows. That is grave disobedience. This day those who disbelieve have despaired of [defeating] your religion; so fear them not, but fear Me. This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion. But whoever is forced by severe hunger with no inclination to sin - then indeed, God is Forgiving and Merciful

Salam,

Your question/comment is correct, however, it misses the premise that the animals that are given restriction in 5:3 have already been identified as "livestock" in 5:1 (i.e. fish would not covered under 5:3).

In-fact, the catch of the sea is not even constrained by the restricted months:

"Permissible for you is the catch of the sea and its consumption, as an enjoyment for you and for those who travel; and forbidden for you is the catch of the land - as long as you are under restriction; and be aware of God to whom you will be gathered." (5:96)
`And when God Alone is mentioned, the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter are filled with aversion; and when others are mentioned beside Him, they rejoice!` (The Quran 39:45)

Amra94

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 10:50:04 AM »
Salam,

Your question/comment is correct, however, it misses the premise that the animals that are given restriction in 5:3 have already been identified as "livestock" in 5:1 (i.e. fish would not covered under 5:3).

In-fact, the catch of the sea is not even constrained by the restricted months:

"Permissible for you is the catch of the sea and its consumption, as an enjoyment for you and for those who travel; and forbidden for you is the catch of the land - as long as you are under restriction; and be aware of God to whom you will be gathered." (5:96)
Salam, since 5:3 is only about restrictions for livestock, does that mean you can kill any other animal any way you want for example strangling a wild animal since it's not a livestock?

Mohammed.

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 03:12:31 AM »
salaam,

We know that fish cannot breath in outside the water (except some species which breathe out of water).

Then, should we slaughter fish under the water itself? (Otherwise we have to do slaughter while strangling)
But that is not logical. And the Qur'an does not mentions such special cases for fish/catch of the sea ?

And fishes (not all) are simple organisms i.e. not having much complicated/complex systems like in animals/birds.
-my current understanding. Verify for yourself-17:36.
O you who believe! Enter perfectly in islam/ Surrender yourselves wholly unto God [2:208], [3:19-20,85 2:132]

Amra94

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 01:26:37 PM »
salaam,

We know that fish cannot breath in outside the water (except some species which breathe out of water).

Then, should we slaughter fish under the water itself? (Otherwise we have to do slaughter while strangling)
But that is not logical. And the Qur'an does not mentions such special cases for fish/catch of the sea ?

And fishes (not all) are simple organisms i.e. not having much complicated/complex systems like in animals/birds.
Salam, you can slaughter it within seconds after catching it. Just because fish aren't land animals doesn't mean they don't feel pain and you should allow them to suffer. Why not  makes its death quicker by slaughtering it instead of letting it suffocate for like 5 minutes.

hawk99

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 04:48:22 PM »
 :o  where in Quran does it state that fish/seafood is not halal?   :nope:

:peace:
The secret to monotheism can be found in the garden

Amra94

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 06:45:34 PM »
:o  where in Quran does it state that fish/seafood is not halal?   :nope:

It's cruel to catch a fish and let it suffocate to death. It's just like strangling a different animal. Which is why I am starting to believe you should catch fish yourself and slaughter it for a quicker death. Another thing I mentioned about 5:3  is that you should say God's name when slaughtering an animal. 5:3 says it is forbidden to eat any animal which any name other than God's has been invoked. This clearly means you should mention God's name over the animals you kill. Why wouldn't this apply to fish?

Mohammed.

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 09:50:42 PM »
peace Amra94,

You can’t do slaughter for fish like in animals/birds. If you slaughter fish, then it would be almost like cutting its belly or splitting many internal organs like heart, liver, stomach, gills etc. together ! which is more cruel than taking the fish out of water!
-my current understanding. Verify for yourself-17:36.
O you who believe! Enter perfectly in islam/ Surrender yourselves wholly unto God [2:208], [3:19-20,85 2:132]

hawk99

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 07:22:13 AM »
It's cruel to catch a fish and let it suffocate to death. It's just like strangling

Peace Amra94, suffocating and strangling are not the same.

Another thing I mentioned about 5:3  is that you should say God's name when slaughtering an animal. 5:3 says it is forbidden to eat any animal which any name other than God's has been invoked. This clearly means you should mention God's name over the animals you kill. Why wouldn't this apply to fish?

[6:121] And do not eat of that upon which the name of Allah has not
been mentioned,

It says mention Allah's name before you eat, negating that the
eater has to be the slaughterer.

[16:14] And it is He who subjected the sea for you to eat from it tender
meat and to extract from it ornaments which you wear. And you see the
ships plowing through it, and [He subjected it] that you may seek
of His bounty; and perhaps you will be grateful.

Anyway how would you slaughter shrimp   :eat:

The secret to monotheism can be found in the garden