Author Topic: Is fish really halal?  (Read 1570 times)

Amra94

• Apprentice
Is fish really halal?
« on: June 03, 2019, 09:50:47 AM »
In chapter 5:3 it says animals that are killed by strangulation are prohibited. Since fish die suffocating which is basically the same as being strangled to death, doesn't that mean you should slaughter a fish when you catch it and say the name of God over it in order for it to be considered halal? Instead of letting it suffocate.

5:3 Prohibited to you are dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than God, and [those animals] killed by strangling or by a violent blow or by a head-long fall or by the goring of horns, and those from which a wild animal has eaten, except what you [are able to] slaughter [before its death], and those which are sacrificed on stone altars, and [prohibited is] that you seek decision through divining arrows. That is grave disobedience. This day those who disbelieve have despaired of [defeating] your religion; so fear them not, but fear Me. This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion. But whoever is forced by severe hunger with no inclination to sin - then indeed, God is Forgiving and Merciful

imrankhawaja

• Wise One / Burnout
Re: Is fish really halal?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 10:46:59 PM »

Layth

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 01:56:31 AM »
In chapter 5:3 it says animals that are killed by strangulation are prohibited. Since fish die suffocating which is basically the same as being strangled to death, doesn't that mean you should slaughter a fish when you catch it and say the name of God over it in order for it to be considered halal? Instead of letting it suffocate.

5:3 Prohibited to you are dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than God, and [those animals] killed by strangling or by a violent blow or by a head-long fall or by the goring of horns, and those from which a wild animal has eaten, except what you [are able to] slaughter [before its death], and those which are sacrificed on stone altars, and [prohibited is] that you seek decision through divining arrows. That is grave disobedience. This day those who disbelieve have despaired of [defeating] your religion; so fear them not, but fear Me. This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion. But whoever is forced by severe hunger with no inclination to sin - then indeed, God is Forgiving and Merciful

Salam,

Your question/comment is correct, however, it misses the premise that the animals that are given restriction in 5:3 have already been identified as "livestock" in 5:1 (i.e. fish would not covered under 5:3).

In-fact, the catch of the sea is not even constrained by the restricted months:

"Permissible for you is the catch of the sea and its consumption, as an enjoyment for you and for those who travel; and forbidden for you is the catch of the land - as long as you are under restriction; and be aware of God to whom you will be gathered." (5:96)
`And when God Alone is mentioned, the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter are filled with aversion; and when others are mentioned beside Him, they rejoice!` (The Quran 39:45)

Amra94

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 10:50:04 AM »
Salam,

Your question/comment is correct, however, it misses the premise that the animals that are given restriction in 5:3 have already been identified as "livestock" in 5:1 (i.e. fish would not covered under 5:3).

In-fact, the catch of the sea is not even constrained by the restricted months:

"Permissible for you is the catch of the sea and its consumption, as an enjoyment for you and for those who travel; and forbidden for you is the catch of the land - as long as you are under restriction; and be aware of God to whom you will be gathered." (5:96)
Salam, since 5:3 is only about restrictions for livestock, does that mean you can kill any other animal any way you want for example strangling a wild animal since it's not a livestock?

Mohammed.

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 03:12:31 AM »
salaam,

We know that fish cannot breath in outside the water (except some species which breathe out of water).

Then, should we slaughter fish under the water itself? (Otherwise we have to do slaughter while strangling)
But that is not logical. And the Qur'an does not mentions such special cases for fish/catch of the sea ?

And fishes (not all) are simple organisms i.e. not having much complicated/complex systems like in animals/birds.
-my current understanding. Verify for yourself-17:36.
O you who believe! Enter perfectly in islam/ Surrender yourselves wholly unto God [2:208], [3:19-20,85 2:132]

Amra94

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 01:26:37 PM »
salaam,

We know that fish cannot breath in outside the water (except some species which breathe out of water).

Then, should we slaughter fish under the water itself? (Otherwise we have to do slaughter while strangling)
But that is not logical. And the Qur'an does not mentions such special cases for fish/catch of the sea ?

And fishes (not all) are simple organisms i.e. not having much complicated/complex systems like in animals/birds.
Salam, you can slaughter it within seconds after catching it. Just because fish aren't land animals doesn't mean they don't feel pain and you should allow them to suffer. Why not  makes its death quicker by slaughtering it instead of letting it suffocate for like 5 minutes.

hawk99

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 04:48:22 PM »
 :o  where in Quran does it state that fish/seafood is not halal?   :nope:

:peace:
The secret to monotheism can be found in the garden

Amra94

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 06:45:34 PM »
:o  where in Quran does it state that fish/seafood is not halal?   :nope:

It's cruel to catch a fish and let it suffocate to death. It's just like strangling a different animal. Which is why I am starting to believe you should catch fish yourself and slaughter it for a quicker death. Another thing I mentioned about 5:3  is that you should say God's name when slaughtering an animal. 5:3 says it is forbidden to eat any animal which any name other than God's has been invoked. This clearly means you should mention God's name over the animals you kill. Why wouldn't this apply to fish?

Mohammed.

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 09:50:42 PM »
peace Amra94,

You can’t do slaughter for fish like in animals/birds. If you slaughter fish, then it would be almost like cutting its belly or splitting many internal organs like heart, liver, stomach, gills etc. together ! which is more cruel than taking the fish out of water!
O you who believe! Enter perfectly in islam/ Surrender yourselves wholly unto God [2:208], [3:19-20,85 2:132]

hawk99

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 07:22:13 AM »
It's cruel to catch a fish and let it suffocate to death. It's just like strangling

Peace Amra94, suffocating and strangling are not the same.

Another thing I mentioned about 5:3  is that you should say God's name when slaughtering an animal. 5:3 says it is forbidden to eat any animal which any name other than God's has been invoked. This clearly means you should mention God's name over the animals you kill. Why wouldn't this apply to fish?

[6:121] And do not eat of that upon which the name of Allah has not
been mentioned,

It says mention Allah's name before you eat, negating that the
eater has to be the slaughterer.

[16:14] And it is He who subjected the sea for you to eat from it tender
meat and to extract from it ornaments which you wear. And you see the
ships plowing through it, and [He subjected it] that you may seek
of His bounty; and perhaps you will be grateful.

Anyway how would you slaughter shrimp   :eat:

Mohammed.

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 08:42:07 AM »
been mentioned,

salaam,

How did you reach that conclusion? If it [remembering God's name] is for (just) before eating, it would be like "Eat in the name of your Lord" imho,

See 96:1
"Read in the name of your Lord"

I understand 6:118,119 & 121 in such a way that 'remembering God's name' should happen/happening somewhere (far) before eating.

6:118 "So eat from what God's name was remembered on it"/ "So eat from that on which the name of God has been remembered"
Note the Arabic mimmā

And while/for eating, there are some verse/s which mentions 'thanking God' (e.g. 16:114).

Amra94

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 10:34:51 AM »
peace Amra94,

You can’t do slaughter for fish like in animals/birds. If you slaughter fish, then it would be almost like cutting its belly or splitting many internal organs like heart, liver, stomach, gills etc. together ! which is more cruel than taking the fish out of water!
I think it's still less painful than suffocating.

Amra94

• Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 10:43:22 AM »
Peace Amra94, suffocating and strangling are not the same.
Since strangling livestock is forbidden does that mean suffocating them some other way is allowed?

been mentioned,

[16:14] And it is He who subjected the sea for you to eat from it tender
meat and to extract from it ornaments which you wear. And you see the
ships plowing through it, and [He subjected it] that you may seek
of His bounty; and perhaps you will be grateful.

Anyway how would you slaughter shrimp   :eat:

been mentioned,

How is that saying BEFORE YOU EAT?

And shrimp aren't fish but idk I've never had shrimp, they're bottom feeders. I personally don't consider them to be "good" things to eat.

The Faiz

• Beginner/Inquirer
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 12:44:40 PM »
Peace,

I think an important question is are fish/sea food good or pure to eat?

I used to eat fish, shrimp, etc. but I ceased eating shrimp after contemplating it some more.
I echoe Amra's sentiments that they are bottom feeders and essentially sea bugs.

However, I have not been eating fish either lately, considering how common parasites are within them.

In the US, our food and drug administration pays mention to the fact that a large percentage of fish will be carrying parasites and that's why they recommend high temperature cooking and being careful.
This in my opinion misses the point that whether or not you kill a worm with heat doesn't mean you still aren't ingesting a dead worm. How can that be something pure to eat?

Just food for thought.

Peace
Faiz

hawk99

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2019, 01:15:57 PM »
salaam,

How did you reach that conclusion? If it [remembering God's name] is for (just) before eating, it would be like "Eat in the name of your Lord" imho,

I accept your opinion for your own understanding, however if
you would notice there is no word "slaughter" in the ayat.

salaam,
I understand 6:118,119 & 121 in such a way that 'remembering God's name' should happen/happening somewhere (far) before eating.

True, we should always be mindful of our lord at all times, submission
to our sustainer is the goal while walking, sitting, sleeping, and at all
other times.

6:118 "So eat from what God's name was remembered on it"/ "So eat from that on which the name of God has been remembered"
Note the Arabic mimmā

And why should you not eat of that upon which the name of Allah has been
mentioned while He has explained in detail to you what He has forbidden
you, excepting that to which you are compelled. And indeed do many lead
[others] astray through their [own] inclinations without knowledge. Indeed,
your Lord - He is most knowing of the transgressors.

Since strangling livestock is forbidden does that mean suffocating them some other way is allowed?

Peace Amra94, no we are not to strangle or suffocate the livestock.   :nope:

been mentioned,

Yeah don't eat something without mentioning Allah.

And shrimp aren't fish but idk I've never had shrimp, they're bottom feeders. I personally don't consider them to be "good" things to eat.

Your personal diet is okay.

[6:145] Say: I do not find in that which has been revealed to me anything
forbidden for an eater to eat of except that it be what has died of itself, or
blood poured forth, or flesh of swine-- for that surely is unclean-- or that
which is a transgression, other than (the name of) Allah having been
invoked on it; but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring nor
exceeding the limit, then surely your Lord is Forgiving, Merciful.

@ Amra94 and Mohammed do you remember Allah before eating
fruits, vegetables, snacks, when there is no meat involved?

Amra94

• Apprentice
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2019, 01:57:50 PM »
Peace Amra94, no we are not to strangle or suffocate the livestock.   :nope:
Peace, why not suffocate the livestock if you say strangling and suffocating are different?

Yeah don't eat something without mentioning Allah.

Your personal diet is okay.

[6:145] Say: I do not find in that which has been revealed to me anything
forbidden for an eater to eat of except that it be what has died of itself, or
blood poured forth, or flesh of swine-- for that surely is unclean-- or that
which is a transgression, other than (the name of) Allah having been
invoked on it; but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring nor
exceeding the limit, then surely your Lord is Forgiving, Merciful.

You don't only mention God's name before eating meat or anything, God's name should be mentioned over the animals before slaughter.

22:36 And the camels and cattle We have appointed for you as among the symbols of God; for you therein is good. So mention the name of God upon them when lined up [for sacrifice]; and when they are [lifeless] on their sides, then eat from them and feed the needy and the beggar. Thus have We subjected them to you that you may be grateful.

Amra94

• Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2019, 02:02:47 PM »
Peace,

I think an important question is are fish/sea food good or pure to eat?

I used to eat fish, shrimp, etc. but I ceased eating shrimp after contemplating it some more.
I echoe Amra's sentiments that they are bottom feeders and essentially sea bugs.

However, I have not been eating fish either lately, considering how common parasites are within them.

In the US, our food and drug administration pays mention to the fact that a large percentage of fish will be carrying parasites and that's why they recommend high temperature cooking and being careful.
This in my opinion misses the point that whether or not you kill a worm with heat doesn't mean you still aren't ingesting a dead worm. How can that be something pure to eat?

Just food for thought.

Peace
Faiz
Peace, I haven't had fish in a while either. Rather get my omega 3's from chia seeds and walnuts :D We can't say all seafood is impure though because it is lawful 16:14 And it is He who subjected the sea for you to eat from it tender meat and to extract from it ornaments which you wear. And you see the ships plowing through it, and [He subjected it] that you may seek of His bounty; and perhaps you will be grateful.

Mohammed.

• Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2019, 08:41:30 PM »
I accept your opinion for your own understanding, however if
you would notice there is no word "slaughter" in the ayat.
So, don’t you care the way in which animal being slaughtered? Whatever is the way slaughtered, just considering only the meat?

Here is my understanding of the verses 6:118,119 & 121
The verses 6:118,119 &121 does not mention slaughtering specifically, so

'on which God's name has been remembered' may also mean Fair Treatment throughout farming as well as during slaughtering. [God's name-The Merciful, so 'remembering Gods name' may refer to kind treatment to animals?]
i.e. remembering God and His mercy on us and doing the processes accordingly.

True, we should always be mindful of our lord at all times, submission
to our sustainer is the goal while walking, sitting, sleeping, and at all
other times.
You say we should always be mindful of our Lord at all times, then, we should always be care about the way our Lord’s creations are treated. right?

39:18
"The ones who listen to what is being said, and then follow the best of it. These are the ones whom God has guided, and these are the ones who possess intelligence."

So which is better/best?
1.Considering remembering God’s name (The Merciful) while slaughter
2.Considering remembering God’s name (The Merciful) during farming as well as while slaughter
3.Not considering remembering God’s name (The Merciful) while slaughter

I remember The Creator not only before eating but also while eating any food (if my mind isn't distracted)
I remember and wonder about Allah the way He designed/engineered the food for us which I am eating, for example if it’s an apple-its unique taste, texture, shape, colour, the way it grown etc. I enjoy it. And I thank my Lord for giving me an opportunity to experience this wonderful world. I was nothing worth mentioning before I came into existence.
And sometimes I wonder/remember the way He designed/engineered my mouth, tongue, teeth etc. the mechanism of chewing, digestion absorption and the mechanism of growth etc.

Mohammed.

• Apprentice
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2019, 01:36:29 AM »

peace,

I think no need to care about parasites which are not identifiable with naked eye.
Even treated drinking water may contain dead microbes in it.

Cerberus

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2019, 05:55:41 AM »
slaughter  :hail slaughter  :hail slaughter  :hail

The fact that it is mentioned in the quran, is it because it's the holiest, most pious,virtuous, god-observing way of killing an animal or is it because it was the most appropriate way of killing an animal at that time ?

We've been given the tools to figure out the right way to do things, and if we didn't then how could we possibly discriminate between what is right or wrong ?

It's been over a thousand years now, the human mind wasn't in stagnation all this time and we're certainly not living today to mindlessly replicate how people did things at one point in history.

Amra94

• Apprentice
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2019, 08:12:26 AM »
slaughter  :hail slaughter  :hail slaughter  :hail

The fact that it is mentioned in the quran, is it because it's the holiest, most pious,virtuous, god-observing way of killing an animal
or is it because it was the most appropriate way of killing an animal at that time ?
Well yeah. What's a more appropriate way today?

Mohammed.

• Apprentice
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2019, 09:10:20 AM »
We've been given the tools to figure out the right way to do things, and if we didn't then how could we possibly discriminate between what is right or wrong ?
So, what is the right way you figured out? Did you find new rules other than what the Creator said?

It's been over a thousand years now...
Yeah, it’s been over a thousand years now... but the change was for time, still we have the same Creator and the same Book/Guidance.

(Ignore it, if you believe that the Qur’an is not from the Creator)

The Faiz

• Beginner/Inquirer
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2019, 12:42:30 PM »
Peace,

I recognize that the God has made fish halal (permissable) but my concern was with what we can verify as tayyab (pure) or not. Properly slaughtered cow is halal but take that same meat and sully it with excrement or perhaps mix it with small bits of swine and suddenly it is no longer tayyab. Likewise, the fish (not all fish, but a large percentage) have something within them sullying their purity.

I wonder if global warming has allowed for increased proliferation of parasites in fish in our time. Much like increased bacteria observable in the warmer waters. Just a thought.

I wouldn't say someone eating fish is breaking the God's commandments but I would say it may not be best.

Regrading the comment about not worrying about parasites we can't see with the naked eye, I am very much referring to worms you can see with the naked eye. Even through grocery packaging in super markets.
These worms can cause disease, such as anisakiasis, among other things.

Just raising some awareness.

Faiz

Cerberus

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2019, 02:02:09 PM »
You can't really claim that "this is the holiest way of doing things" and at the same time pretend to be interested to find "better ways" to do it because the claim itself shuts down any attempt of thought and understanding. It's a very lazy and ineffective way and it is showing very clearly on muslim countries.

Amra94

• Apprentice
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2019, 02:24:29 PM »
Peace,

I recognize that the God has made fish halal (permissable) but my concern was with what we can verify as tayyab (pure) or not. Properly slaughtered cow is halal but take that same meat and sully it with excrement or perhaps mix it with small bits of swine and suddenly it is no longer tayyab. Likewise, the fish (not all fish, but a large percentage) have something within them sullying their purity.

I wonder if global warming has allowed for increased proliferation of parasites in fish in our time. Much like increased bacteria observable in the warmer waters. Just a thought.

I wouldn't say someone eating fish is breaking the God's commandments but I would say it may not be best.

Regrading the comment about not worrying about parasites we can't see with the naked eye, I am very much referring to worms you can see with the naked eye. Even through grocery packaging in super markets.
These worms can cause disease, such as anisakiasis, among other things.

Just raising some awareness.

Faiz

Yeah I agree. Since we've polluted the ocean, I think if you choose not to eat fish because it might be contaminated or have some kind of parasite then I don't think it's wrong to say it's impure to eat.

Amra94

• Apprentice
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2019, 02:29:28 PM »
You can't really claim that "this is the holiest way of doing things" and at the same time pretend to be interested to find "better ways" to do it because the claim itself shuts down any attempt of thought and understanding. It's a very lazy and ineffective way and it is showing very clearly on muslim countries.
You didn't answer my question. The Quran tells us ways not to kill the animal and slaughtering isn't one of the prohibited ways. Not sure how else you can kill an animal that doesn't go against the prohibitions in 5:3.

hawk99

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2019, 06:47:22 PM »
Peace Amra94, this is what you said before, suffocation was about the fish.

It's cruel to catch a fish and let it suffocate to death.

peace Amra94,

You can’t do slaughter for fish like in animals/birds.

Agreed

salaam,

Peace Mohammed I simply quoted ayat 6:121 and pointed
out that the word slaughter does not appear there and that
your interpretation is yours.

So, don’t you care the way in which animal being slaughtered?

Yeah I care.

God's name should be mentioned over the animals before slaughter.

True

You say we should always be mindful of our Lord at all times, then, we should always be care about the way our Lord’s creations are treated. right?

I totally agree with you

I remember The Creator not only before eating but also while eating any food (if my mind isn't distracted)
I remember and wonder about Allah the way He designed/engineered the food for us which I am eating, for example if it’s an apple-its unique taste, texture, shape, colour, the way it grown etc. I enjoy it. And I thank my Lord for giving me an opportunity to experience this wonderful world. I was nothing worth mentioning before I came into existence.
And sometimes I wonder/remember the way He designed/engineered my mouth, tongue, teeth etc. the mechanism of chewing, digestion absorption and the mechanism of growth etc.

Excellent

Mohammed.

• Apprentice
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2019, 04:08:55 AM »
Guidance from the Creator of the animal or guidance from scientists/animal experts?

Scientific/technological methods are based on human understanding! Human understanding has limitations, which may harm the animal.

Cerberus

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2019, 09:21:53 AM »
It's true that human understanding is limited, it has evolved and is still evolving. Human ignorance on the other hand knows no limits. Its worse when this ignorance is disguised as a form of devotion and virtue.

Also, scientists are merely digging on the surface of things, only to discover the reasons behind how they work. It's reasonable and logical, and we are able to understand it because we've been given the ability to. To shut this ability down is at one's own peril.

Cerberus

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2019, 09:28:07 AM »
You didn't answer my question. The Quran tells us ways not to kill the animal and slaughtering isn't one of the prohibited ways. Not sure how else you can kill an animal that doesn't go against the prohibitions in 5:3.

It's not a big deal of a question, I was more criticizing the mentality behind some statements.
I think stunning with electric shock then "slaughtering" is better. You won't have to deal with the animal screaming with its throat open, while kicking and defecating and peeing, and blinking all at once.

Mohammed.

• Apprentice
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2019, 08:07:23 PM »
You won't have to deal with the animal screaming with its throat open, while kicking and defecating and peeing, and blinking all at once.

You should watch the video here; you may find a different way of preparing animal for slaughter.
Thus, from the video we can observe that even Large animals can be prepared for slaughter without stunning ( if God willing )

if all people took a decision to eat meat only from mercy slaughterers, What would be the result?
but you indirectly suggests "Make the animals unconscious and let the wicked do whatever they want!"

Mohammed.

• Apprentice
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2019, 08:57:06 AM »
Such unfair things happen when the slaughterer does not consider/treat the animal as a ‘living being with sense organs’.
When there is a demand for Fair meat, the merciless and greedy meat industry cannot survive.

Your solution for animal cruelty is…’Make the animal unconscious’? And you don’t care whether the animal get harmed or not while applying high voltage electric shock on its head!
Why you don’t think/advise to stop animal cruelty and to treat animals fairly, instead of promoting stunning?

You agree the fact that human understanding is limited; still you ignore your Guidance!

Cerberus

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2019, 01:24:21 AM »
You agree the fact that human understanding is limited; still you ignore your Guidance!

How do you know I ignore my guidance ?

If by guidance you mean the Quran, then I can give that guidance to a hateful person and they will use that guidance to justify their hate. Without knowing. It will appear to them the right thing to do. The only thing that keeps you in check is your own mind. If you shut it down, you're leaving yourself with your own "devils" and they will lead you to your loss.

Your guidance doesn't do the work by itself. You have to do all the work yourself. and the work is within.

By the way, I have no issues with slaughtering animals, my problem is this mentality.

That's all I have to say in this thread.

Mohammed.

• Apprentice
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2019, 11:00:35 PM »
How do you know I ignore my guidance ?

Ask yourself what you ignored and what else you are still ignoring
Of course, ignorance is the lack/want of knowledge. But the knowledge is by the will of God.

So thank you for reply, but I pass on your comments.
salaam