Author Topic: understanding BaGhA'a in 24:33 and in 19:20 and Tahasanun  (Read 2686 times)

/*JM*/

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +6/-3
Re: understanding BaGhA'a in 24:33 and in 19:20 and Tahasanun
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 11:24:28 AM »
peace,

I highly disagree with this translation as tahasanun doesn't only refer to unchastity, but to everyhting that goes beyond the justice of a women's right. This has clouded the real meaning of this verse. And limited its message. This verse doesn't apply to slavegirls, as it normally is applied to. But we have still a long way to go. But the traditional approach of this verse is wrong, as slavery is condemned in the Quran, so this verse must be approached with a much wider view.

Peace
You can replace "slavegirls" by "female servants/subordinates/workers", and keep the understanding i have proposed, cant' you ?

Arnold Yasin

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +16/-7
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 11:26:20 AM »
Peace,

Yes and no, as tahasanun refers to a lot more then just unchastity...... So yes, you can translate it like that, but is it the best translation? I think not.....

/*JM*/

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +6/-3
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 11:30:54 AM »
Peace,

Yes and no, as tahasanun refers to a lot more then just unchastity...... So yes, you can translate it like that, but is it the best translation? I think not.....

Is tahasanun used in the meaning of "everyhting that goes beyond the justice of a women's right" elsewhere in the quran ?
I think not...

Haniefa

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2019, 12:59:26 AM »
Peace Arnold,

My wife and I had written the following article sometime back:

http://www.free-minds.org/malak.htm

Your idea of "mohsanat" meaning "independent" is very interesting and it is in line with the finding of it meaning "self-protected".

Peace,

Ayman

Salaam,
I can?t read this article,
Maybe it is replaced ?
Please help🙏🏼

huruf

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2019, 03:46:29 AM »
tahassun has nohing to do with chastity nor the root H-S-n is anything to do with chastity, escept where contrived interpretations or tranlations are made so that chasitty is turned into a female specialty and not preseved as virtue for everyone of any sex. The terms for chastity in Qur'an ar Hafadha farj, not ahsana. e all know in almot all civilisations chastity is turned into a feminine specialty. The Qur'an of course could nto be left alone, it had to be corrected so that it too made chastity a femine extra duty: that is females must be chaste ot like men, but take off some of the burden of chastity of them and put it on the women themselves. The total amount f chastity is the same, but it is distributed unevenly: women 99 per cnet and men 1%, if they choose.

Salaam

Mazhar

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2019, 08:28:13 AM »
tahassun has nohing to do with chastity nor the root H-S-n is anything to do with chastity, escept where contrived interpretations or tranlations are made so that chasitty is turned into a female specialty and not preseved as virtue for everyone of any sex. The terms for chastity in Qur'an ar Hafadha farj, not ahsana. e all know in almot all civilisations chastity is turned into a feminine specialty. The Qur'an of course could nto be left alone, it had to be corrected so that it too made chastity a femine extra duty: that is females must be chaste ot like men, but take off some of the burden of chastity of them and put it on the women themselves. The total amount f chastity is the same, but it is distributed unevenly: women 99 per cnet and men 1%, if they choose.

Salaam

Right.

وَٱلَّتِـىٓ أَحْصَنَتْ فَرْجَهَا

And mention about she (Syeda Maryam the truthful) who guarded her pudendum- chastity; thus remained virgin in life ?

وَمَـرْيَـمَ ٱبْنَتَ عِمْرَٟنَ ٱلَّتِـىٓ أَحْصَنَتْ فَرْجَهَا

And of Maryam, daughter of Imr'aan, who guarded her pudendum- chastity; thus remained virgin in life .......

فَإِذَآ أُحْصِنَّ فَإِنْ أَتَيْـنَ بِفَٟحِشَةٛ فَعَلَيْـهِنَّ نِصْفُ مَا عَلَـى ٱلْمُحْصَنَٟتِ مِنَ ٱلْعَذَابِۚ

Thereby, when they (maid servants) are given in wedlock, thereat, if they have committed "fahishatin" - some illicit sexual activity [other than Zina, illicit intercourse], half of that punishment which is prescribed by Penal code of society in respect of such offences in respect of independent family women, shall be liable against them.

When a dependent - maid servant is wed she becomes protected by her husband.

Mazhar

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2019, 08:30:15 AM »
Root: ب غ ى

Words from this Root in the Grand Qur?ān:

a) Total occurrences: 96

b) No of constructions: 51

It occurs in 89 Ayahs in 41 Sura

Nouns: 13' Recurrence: 31; Verbs: 38  Recurrence: 65 [Form-I: 25; Form-VII: 6; Form-VIII:: 34]

Ibn Faris [died 1005] stated:

(مقاييس اللغة)

الباء والغين والياء أصلان: أحدهما طَلَب الشيء، والثاني جنسٌ من الفَساد.

That it signifies firstly the demand, seeking a thing/object; and secondly it signifies some sort of corruption, degeneration, transgression. perversion, immorality, and turpitude.

Lane Lexicon:  He sought; sought for, or after; sought, desired, or endeavoured, to find, and take,

Semantic domain: Emotion

Sub field: Seeking

http://haqeeqat.pk/roots/(128).htm