Author Topic: Simple Question in regards to the Monotheist Translation  (Read 405 times)

malsi

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
Simple Question in regards to the Monotheist Translation
« on: May 12, 2019, 04:19:39 AM »
Is there pdf copy or documents available in which there actually are some comments pertaining to the verses. I know the point is to be simple and for us to figure out the proper meanings themselves without fusing certain theological ideologies into a particular translation, confusing people into following the meaning of the leader instead of themselves, but I have a dilemma.

I am currently attempting to gain the most knowledge I can out of reading the Qur'an. I don't have the time to start absolutely from scratch. So I wanted to use a fund of sources together to help me to figure out the meanings of some issues while shortening the amount of research I need to do myself. For instance, in Sam Gerrans translation, he does at least point out some things that he has found out from supporters, such as the Almighty-thesis. And although i'm not 100% on that, I do indeed like that he explains why he translates it this way. Which for me, that information I would perhaps never find on my own, or it would take quite some time.

Using others work as my starting place, with the option to disagree and eliminate the view of those whenever I find they don't make provable sense, i feel will be the most efficient way of working my way through the Qur'an from the ground up without relying particularly on any one translator, or even two.

The major dilemma is, both the monotheist translation as well as the Quranite translation translate Ar-rahman as Almighty. Im not thoroughly convinced of Sam Gerran's reasoning, and I wonder if the evidence is compounded by another reason or if the Monotheist Group version uses the same reasoning for almighty. If there is another form of evidence it would greatly help me to discover the meaning of this word, as currently, I don't believe almighty fits the root very well. Regardless, I am still searching for that subject, I have by no means made up my mind and probably won't for a while. But this particular word, much like many others I wish to view the reasoning behind the translations, as I'm only intermediate with Arabic, not an expert, and many people know it better than I and can assist my findings with mine.

So the question-

Does the monotheist translation of the Qur'an have any commentary documented somewhere outside the official pdf that if I realy wanted the commentary, I could have?

good logic

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +2/-0
Re: Simple Question in regards to the Monotheist Translation
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 05:17:31 AM »
Peace malsi.
Regarding this, quote:

I don't have the time to start absolutely from scratch. So I wanted to use a fund of sources together to help me to figure out the meanings of some issues while shortening the amount of research I need to do myself.

Also when I started I had a similar idea especially when I was working the majority of the time. However I found that I wasted time instead of gaining it, why?

1- I wasted so much time checking out the details  and I had to go back and start from scratch.
2- I did not use Qoran as a whole to see if it explained itself. i.e go over it again and again from start to finish and find comparable verses and collect  topic verses together for analysis.
3-I was not satisfied with non logical explanations and historical "facts" that I needed a lot of time to check them .
4-The more you think one or two sources should be enough ,the more you need to compare multiple other sources to get to the bottom of some "explanations".
5-It does not matter for me now about having time or not having time, the study of Qoran needs to be done in detail and with patience. I have come to the conclusion that time is irrelevant if at the end I gain my own understanding through my own checking. So what if it takes me 20 years. As long as I am alive I shall trust in GOD and do everything from scratch.

I hope I am not putting you off from using any source, that is fine and necessary as long as you do the checking for your own satisfaction honestly and thoroughly.
Just thought I give you my experience with studying Qoran.
GOD bless you.
Peace.
TOTAL LOYALTY TO GOD ALONE.   IN GOD I TRUST

38:65″ Say:? I warn you; There is no other god beside GOD, the One, the Supreme.?

http://www.total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/website-pages/good-logic/

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +13/-2
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

Mazhar

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 08:31:09 AM »
The major dilemma is, both the monotheist translation as well as the Quranite translation translate Ar-rahman as Almighty. Im not thoroughly convinced of Sam Gerran's reasoning, and I wonder if the evidence is compounded by another reason or if the Monotheist Group version uses the same reasoning for almighty. If there is another form of evidence it would greatly help me to discover the meaning of this word, as currently, I don't believe almighty fits the root very well. Regardless, I am still searching for that subject, I have by no means made up my mind and probably won't for a while. But this particular word, much like many others I wish to view the reasoning behind the translations, as I'm only intermediate with Arabic, not an expert, and many people know it better than I and can assist my findings with mine.

Ar'Reh'maan: This unique personal name of Allah the Exalted has widely been discussed by scholars, Muslims, Jews and Christians included, for determining its meanings by considering it as an attribute of the Sustainer Lord of the Universes. This debate spreads over thousand pages.

Grand Qur?ān is perhaps the only book about which scholars, believing and non-believing, never adhered to otherwise well accepted norms of behaviour - academic discipline of transferring a book of one language to another language. Just one example suffices to prove this allegation. We have in academics means and methods to distinguish a Proper Noun - Personal Name in a lengthy text. None seems to have cared to resolve whether Ar'Reh'maan is the Proper Noun-Name of Allah the Exalted, despite the fact that it finds mention for fifty seven times in the text of Grand Qur?ān.

We will rely upon the Grand Qur?ān to let us know whether it is the Personal Name of Allah the Exalted, or could it be stretched and considered as an Adjectival Name attributing a qualitative trait.

We find in Grand Qur?ān that it is fully declinable, in all cases, nominative, accusative and genitive.

Rules of Arabic language signify it as Proper Noun - Personal Name. Proper Noun is always the first element in Adjectival Phrase.  Proper Noun/Personal Name NEVER find a place at a secondary place as an adjective in the Adjectival Phrases. Neither in Grand Qur?ān nor in other literature one will find it as second noun in adjectival phrase.

In possessive phrases - أَلإضَافَةُ ٱلْحَقِيقِيَّةُ, the proper noun is never the first - مضاف, it is always the second noun - مضاف إليه.

Proper Noun has no dual or plural, it has no feminine parallel, while the adjectives in Arabic do have its dual and plural form and have a feminine form of same adjective.

Since:  : Ar'Reh'maan is Proper Noun it has no dual and plural form, neither there is its feminine equivalent.

Contd

Proper Name  Ar'Reh'maan

imrankhawaja

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 10:47:14 AM »
Chapter 55 is best to read for this special name of God, understanding why "MERCIFUL" is not a correct interpretation for this name as most of the translators copied from one another without critically thinking the passages of chapter 55 that started with.. Ar-Rehman

moreover the repeated theme فباى ءالاء ربكما تكذبان translated with FAVOURS/BOUNTIES what never get fit with cross check of the very same chapter when God talk about the punishment of المجرمون criminals/guilty ones. so i think these 3 words are closer translation of theme word i.e

( miracles  marvels  authorties )

from the first set of chapter 55 before the theme, (AR-rehman) talk about his absolute control over universal things and also the brain provided to us in such a way we can learn and understand. , whatever we learn that also comes from AR-rehman.

for FAVOR that word is suitable as per my knowledge نعمت

ending verse = 55:78 Ever blissful is the Name of your Lord, the Lord of Majesty and Honor!

translators did not really care while translating one thing differently at other occasions and sometimes interchangeably switch from one ROOT to another. example in the last verse root (ba ra kaf) used as blessed but also they used it as favor and in urdu its more worst when they use arabic word نعمت for translating theme word of الا. on other words they are using arabic word in urdu translation.. its funny.

GOD bless you all.

imrankhawaja

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 11:32:41 AM »

Does the monotheist translation of the Qur'an have any commentary documented somewhere outside the official pdf that if I realy wanted the commentary, I could have?

Its mean you are reading the mind of commentator and solely relied/dependant on his/her information.
author of quran suggest to read QURAN slowly and take your time and abilities provided to you for the great reading by yourself (17:36). by this method you will feel urself more polished and blessed with confidence in hand.

God bless you