News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

MAQAAM of Ibrahim

Started by Mahdi Ibrahim, April 17, 2019, 02:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahdi Ibrahim

We made the House a place of return, a sanctuary for mankind: They took the Maqam of Ibrahim as a place of prayer. We contracted with Ibrahim and Ismail: "Purify My House for those who circle it, and those who stay there, and those who bow and who prostrate."(2:125)

Ibrahim left these kalimah to endure among his descendants, so that they might return. (43:28)

Ibrahim was tested by his Lord with certain words which he carried out completely. He said, "I will make you an Imam for mankind." He asked, "And what of my descendants?" He said, "(Granted but) My contract does not include the wrongdoers (descendants)." (2:124)
[url="http://matheism.blogspot.com"]Matheism[/url] is the conditions of natural harmony for all situations | [url="https://free-minds.org/forum/index.php?topic=9610618.0"]What defines you?[/url]

Wakas

You might find the following interesting: http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/meaning-hajj-Quran.html

3:96 Indeed, the first1 house/shelter placed/set-down2 for mankind was the one with/in/by/at bakka3 blessed and a guidance for the beings.
3:97 In it clear signs/evidences, the stance/position/status4 of Abraham, and whoever entered it was securing. And for God upon mankind (is) the HaJJ (at/of) the house/shelter, whoever is able to make a way to5 it, and whoever conceals/rejects then truly God has no need of the beings.

1 first means others are possible, also see 24:36. This would explain well the narration interplay between Abraham's example and the believers this time around, indicating that Abraham's model is an example for them to follow. This is perhaps linked to his status as an imam/model/exemplar for mankind [2:124].
2 Arabic: "wudi'Aa" often translated incorrectly as "set-up" or the like.
3 this could be a proper name of a place, however it could mean "distinguishing/ranking above others", "crowding" or some other CAD meaning for Ba-Kaf-Kaf. Interestingly, "crowding" is a common meaning to both BaKKah and MaKKah, thus could explain how they became interchanged in future Traditional Islamic sources. I personally think "makkah" means "crowding" in 48:24.
4 Arabic: "maqam" does not commonly mean physical standing place, see other occurrences.
5 Arabic: "ila" implies motion and/or direction.

Note the object of it (Arabic: hi/hu) can only be "bayt/shelter", however most traditional translators try to explain this away as referring to "the haram/sanctuary of Makkah" e.g. Ibn Kathir. This peculiar issue will be discussed later.

If the "bayt" mentioned in 3:96 is the cuboid called Kaabah in Makkah, then this has some issues:
1) a building is never described as a "guidance" elsewhere in AQ. However a community/nation can guide (e.g. 7:159, 7:181, 21:73)
2) according to traditional Islamic history the cuboid called Kaabah has been demolished and rebuilt several times - if so, does its status as a "guidance" and "securing" become temporarily suspended at these times?
3) what are the clear signs in the cuboid called Kaabah? Is there even any? It is very rare for people to enter it today.
4) I am not aware of any non-Islamic source that states Abraham was in the area of Makkah, nor any prophet/messenger thereafter.
5) in present day Makkah, the alleged "maqam Ibrahim" (stone imprint of Abraham's footsteps) is outside the cuboid called Kaabah, not inside it like the verses say.
6) I am not aware of any source which cites a place called Makkah or a cuboid called Kaabah prior to traditional Islamic sources.

######

"al bayt" (the shelter) can be a reference to a safe locality. An example of which is given to us in the story of Abraham, hence the believers being recommended to follow his blueprint wherever we may be, or in Quran parlance: "...take from the status (maqam) of Abraham a time/place of blessing (musalla)..." [2:125]

#######

http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/meaning-of-SuJuD-from-Quran.html

2:125 ...and we made a covenant to Abraham that "You shall purify My house/shelter for those who go among/about, and stay/devote, and incline and SuJuD."
Could indicate a possible progression: mingle/visit --> stay/devote --> incline --> SJD.

All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

huruf

According to a friend from Morrokko who is very much into the question of names an meanings in the Quran, which I agree with, the value of crowding is godd for both macca and bakka, bur the difference is that one means poring into and the other the opposite. So en fact bakk and macca are the representation of the heart. It pulses, it gets blood in and lets it go out purified. So  for mankind it would be a spiritual heart. I  do not trust that this designing of particular paces as holier than others has any Quranic basis. All places are holy although we may desecrate the places, but that does not mean that they are desecrated by God.

Bakka and Makka is the same. Where they are, anywhere people agree that they gather for uplifting purposes and with pure intentions.

Salaam

Mahdi Ibrahim

Here is an example, this is what actually mean by "MAQAAM" in verse 2:125

We have different one, our "MAQAAM (stations)" are based on the Quran...

starting with Step 0:

• The pure natural believer (natural justice) should not take kafirun (forced justice) as friends (compromise, obedience) rather than pure natural believer. Anyone who does that has nothing to do with Allah at all. (3:28)
  • IF they had had iman in Allah and the Prophet and what has been sent down to him,

[THEN] they would not have taken them as friends.

ELSE/But many of them are defiantly disobedient.
    (Can you save those who are already in Hell? 39:19 ...THEREFORE, move on and don't bother at all for Step 1. It will never happen -> "has nothing to do with Allah at all" 3:28)

(5:81)
  • Follow first post for the rest, IF you manage to pass STEP 0

Tafseer

|وإذ - And when| جعلنا - We made| البيت - the House regarding "structure of ... system, framework, rule of law, philosophy for pure natural belief"

| مثابة - a place of return regarding "Tawba", align our nature with NATURE| للناس - for mankind

| وأمنا - and (a place of) security

regarding "Those who have iman and do not mix up their iman with any wrongdoing,

they are the ones who are safe; it is they who are guided.

This is the argument We gave to Ibrahim against his people. (6:82-83)"

| واتخذوا - and (said), "Take| من - [from]| مقام - (the) standing place regarding "standpoint, judgment etc"

| إبراهيم - (of) Ibrahim,| مصلى - (as) a place of prayer." Salat means preserving and restoring natural justice or natural order.

| وعهدنا - And We made a covenant| إلى - with| إبراهيم - Ibrahim| وإسماعيل - and Ishmael| أن - [that],

| طهرا - "[You both] purify| بيتي - My House regarding "system, framework, rule of law, philosophy for pure natural belief"

| للطائفين - for those who circumambulate regarding "compassed...journey to the real self"

| والعاكفين - and those who seclude remain/stay/dwell themselves for devotion and prayer

| والركع - and those who bow down regarding "unity"

| السجود - and those who prostrate surrender completely and align our nature with Nature."|

Unlettered.. .

My standpoint from what I stand, ie.

Quote from: Mahdi Ibrahim on April 16, 2019, 10:24:00 AM

Earth..
[url="http://matheism.blogspot.com"]Matheism[/url] is the conditions of natural harmony for all situations | [url="https://free-minds.org/forum/index.php?topic=9610618.0"]What defines you?[/url]

Mahdi Ibrahim

O Messenger! transmit what has been sent down to you from your Lord. If you do not do it you will not have transmitted His Message (AND FAILED). (5:67)

---------------------

This Maqaam explains the statuses and how do Believers/Messengers (Forerunners) strive their mission in the situation of "However hard you try, many people will not believe. 12:103", "On that Day, We shall ask Hell, Are you now full? Hell will answer, Are there any more? (50:30)" and "Those who have iman and do right actions, how few they are! (38:24)".

BUT (inconsistencies, make it consistent.. ie. "READ")

What is the reality of "He made all gods same god." (38:5) and "We sent him to a hundred thousand or even more. They had iman and so We gave them enjoyment for a time. (37:147-148)"

Only argue with the People of the Book in the kindest way — except in the case of those of them who do wrong — saying, "We have iman in what has been sent down to us and what was sent down to you. Our God and your God are one and we submit to Him." (29:46)

BUT (inconsistencies, make it consistent.. ie. "READ")

While at the same time, "The pure natural believer (natural justice) should not take kafirun (forced justice) as friends (compromise, obedience) rather than pure natural believer. Anyone who does that has nothing to do with Allah at all. (3:28)".

THEREFORE?

The most difficult test.... only those with wisdom can see the path.

He gives wisdom to whom He wills, and whoever is given wisdom is certainly given a lot of good. Only the people of understanding observe the advice. (2:269)

Allah will not guide those whom He misguides. They will have no helpers. (16:37)

Therefore, a life wasted... wishful thinking.

Say: "Shall we inform you of the greatest losers"!? (18:103)

You know full well these idols cannot talk (ie. make all these verses consistent, sound argument). (21:65)

You will form three groups. (56:7)

You can easily recognize them (ie. their Maqaam: People of the Left, People of the Right, or The Forerunners/Rasul) by the way that they argue. (47:30)