About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Difference between انی and اننی

Started by TellMeTheTruth, July 13, 2018, 11:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sardar

Quote from: TellMeTheTruth on July 15, 2018, 05:08:11 AM
salam sardar!

This is not the case of diacritic marks. It is an extra letter i.e., ن there.

Peace
You mean Noon? I copied-paste on google for the info.

TellMeTheTruth

Noon waalqalami

Quote from: TellMeTheTruth on July 15, 2018, 03:50:27 AM
If I translate word by word, it will be like this:
"Indeed I am, I AM, The Lord - no god except I AM, so be devoted to Me and you establish the connection for  remembrance Mine." -or-
"Indeed I am, Myself, The Lord - no god except Myself, so be devoted to Me and you establish the connection for remembrance Mine."

Peace, only (7) occurrences in translation (meaning is clear either way) the ?am? should be before I/me/mine, use context...

6:19 واننى wa-innanī/and indeed am I

6:161 قل say اننى innanī/indeed me هدانى has guided me ربى lord mine الى to صرط path مستقىم straight

11:2 اننى innanī/indeed am I

20:14 اننى innanī/indeed am I انا anā/I am الله the god لا not اله deity الا except انا anā/I am

20:46 قال said لا not تخافا thou fear dual اننى innanī/indeed am I معكما with you dual اسمع I hear وارى and see

41:33 ... وقال and said اننى innanī/indeed am I من of المسلمىن the acquiescent

43:26 واذ and when قال said ابرهىم abraham لابىه to father his وقومه and folk his اننى innanī/indeed am I برا disassociated مما from what تعبدون thou devoting

Quote from: TellMeTheTruth on July 15, 2018, 04:16:35 AM
I do not see a difference. انی and اننی  both are written in the same way. Or is it only me?

Example from one of the oldest manuscripts (University of Birmingham); scan over with magnifier tool?

https://corpuscoranicum.de/handschriften/index/sure/20/vers/12/handschrift/281

https://corpuscoranicum.de/handschriften/index/sure/20/vers/14?handschrift=281

TellMeTheTruth

Salam and thank you, brother Noon Waalqalmi!
The Ayats shared by you clearly show that اننی means "Indeed I am" or "Indeed am I".

I have checked Ayats where انی is used and in translation of most of these Ayats, انی is translated as "I HAVE" or "I WILL" instead of "I AM".
For example:
3:35 انی نذرت لک Indeed I have pledged for/to You
3:36 انی وضعتھا انثی Indeed I have delivered a female
4:18 انی تبت الآن Indeed I have repented now
5:115 فانی اعذبہ عذابا then indeed I will punish him a punishment
6:56 انی نھیت ان Indeed I have been forbidden that
etc.

So I think use of these two words is related with tense and verb forms used.

I appreciate your efforts again!

Peace

Aladin Azra

Inn is a conjunction, similar to "and" (ar. we) but also similar to "same time" or "also". Inni means "Also, I..." or "Same time, I..." or "And I...", and innneni is emphatic, meaning "Also, for sure I...", "Same time, for sure I...", "And, for sure I...". As a negation inne-maa means that there's no "also", so it becomes the only option(s) meaning "only" or "just".
Ordo ab LICENTIA.