Author Topic: Difference between انی and اننی  (Read 2014 times)

TellMeTheTruth

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Difference between انی and اننی
« on: July 13, 2018, 08:52:37 AM »
Salam!

Would appreciate if some Arabic Grammar expert could explain the difference between the word انی (INNI) and اننی (INNANi).

Thanks in advance!

Peace!

huruf

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Difference between انی and اننی
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 01:34:54 PM »
IN is a conditional I think
and INNA is an enfatical particle final I refers to the first person, I, in both. May be if you bring the text it can be explained better.

Salaam

TellMeTheTruth

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 09:39:53 PM »
Salam!

Here are two verses as example in which these words are used (highlighted in red):

وَإِذْ زَيَّنَ لَهُمُ الشَّيْطَانُ أَعْمَالَهُمْ وَقَالَ لَا غَالِبَ لَكُمُ الْيَوْمَ مِنَ النَّاسِ وَإِنِّي جَارٌ لَّكُمْ ۖ فَلَمَّا تَرَاءَتِ الْفِئَتَانِ نَكَصَ عَلَىٰ عَقِبَيْهِ وَقَالَ إِنِّي بَرِيءٌ مِّنكُمْ إِنِّي أَرَىٰ مَا لَا تَرَوْنَ إِنِّي أَخَافُ اللَّـهَ ۚ وَاللَّـهُ شَدِيدُ الْعِقَابِ ﴿٤٨﴾

[Transliteration] Waith zayyana lahumu alshshaytanu aAAmalahum waqala la ghaliba lakumu alyawma mina alnnasi wainnee jarun lakum falamma taraati alfiatani nakasa AAala AAaqibayhi waqala innee bareeon minkum innee ara ma la tarawna innee akhafu Allaha waAllahu shadeedu alAAiqabi

[Sahih International]And [remember] when Satan made their deeds pleasing to them and said, "No one can overcome you today from among the people, and indeed, I am your protector." But when the two armies sighted each other, he turned on his heels and said, "Indeed, I am disassociated from you. Indeed, I see what you do not see; indeed I fear Allah. And Allah is severe in penalty."

قُلْ إِنَّنِي هَدَانِي رَبِّي إِلَىٰ صِرَاطٍ مُّسْتَقِيمٍ دِينًا قِيَمًا مِّلَّةَ إِبْرَاهِيمَ حَنِيفًا ۚ وَمَا كَانَ مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِينَ ﴿١٦١﴾

[Transliteration] Qul innanee hadanee rabbee ila siratin mustaqeemin deenan qiyaman millata ibraheema haneefan wama kana mina almushrikeena

[Sahih International] Say, "Indeed, my Lord has guided me to a straight path - a correct religion - the way of Abraham, inclining toward truth. And he was not among those who associated others with Allah."

I am a bit confused as these words are translated in various Ayats as (I, me, my, I am, and indeed, I am). I want to understand the difference and also grammar so I know when "I" is subjective and when "I" is objective etc.

Thanks in advance!

Novice

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 03:36:46 AM »
Would appreciate if some Arabic Grammar expert could explain the difference between the word انی (INNI) and اننی (INNANi).

I am not an expert in Arabic grammar but in shaa Allah explain what I have learned.

إِنَّ and أَنَّ both are used for emphasis.

إِنَّ is used either in the start of a sentence or after the verb قَالَ  and its derivatives.

أَنَّ   is used inside a sentence.

إِنِّى is  إِنَّ + ي and means indeed/surely I and pronounced as "INNI"

إِنَّنِي is إِنَّ + ن + ي   also mean indeed/surely I.
Here ن is added to protect the sound of إِنَّ and pronounced as  "INNANI"

Salaam

huruf

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 04:16:57 AM »
I had an answer almost complete this morning, but my computer or the internet or the programme, lost it in the ether.

Now after the answer by novice I will jut try to add some:

In the original post you spoke about In, without double N. I do not know whether it was correct or what you meant was what you wrote int he later post where there was no "INI", without double N.

In the two ayas you posted later the question is only about the double NN

In the first one it is about INNI  and in the second one it is about INNani

The difference between the two, as I can see, is that in the first the "I", first person pronoun, is the subject of the emphasis, I, I, I,

In the second aya the emphasis is not on the "I" but on what is done to the "I", that is, what was done to him was to be guided by God. The one who speaks is not the the subject of the empasis but the guidance given to him is.

That is what seems to me.

Salaam

Noon waalqalami

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 11:25:08 AM »

TellMeTheTruth

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 12:50:27 AM »
Salam and thank you for your response, brothers and sisters!

Brother Noon Waalqalami! This is interesting, especially, 20:14

اننی Indeed am I (ان+نی) I think نی- could also mean me/mine as in فاعبدنی below
انا I am (could this be a noun?) I think one cannot say "I am the God" or "I am the Imran" or "I am the professor" etc. Hope you can share some other examples from the Quran.
اللہ The God
لا no
الہ god
الا except
انا I am (shouldn't it be "me" or "myself"? or is it a noun?)
فاعبدنی so devote to me
و and
اقم you establish
الصلوٰة the connection
لذکری for remembrance mine

If I translate word by word, it will be like this:
"Indeed I am, I AM, The Lord - no god except I AM, so be devoted to Me and you establish the connection for  remembrance Mine." -or-
"Indeed I am, Myself, The Lord - no god except Myself, so be devoted to Me and you establish the connection for remembrance Mine."

[Sahih International] Indeed, I am Allah. There is no deity except Me, so worship Me and establish prayer for My remembrance.

Then Moses said to God, ?If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, ?The God of your fathers has sent me to you,? and they ask me, ?What is his name?? what shall I say to them?? God said to Moses, ?I AM WHO I AM.? And he said, ?Say this to the people of Israel, ?I AM has sent me to you.?? God also said to Moses, ?Say this to the people of Israel, ?The Lord, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.? This is my name forever, and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations.? (Exodus 3:13?15)

I seek refuge in Allah from being among the ignorant.

I am confused to a great extent. Please help out. Thanks!

TellMeTheTruth

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 01:16:35 AM »

I do not see a difference. انی and اننی  both are written in the same way. Or is it only me?

Peace!

The Sardar

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 01:27:40 AM »
I do not see a difference. انی and اننی  both are written in the same way. Or is it only me?

Peace!
Salam/Peace. This may be because of the lack of diacritics marks in the Manuscript.

TellMeTheTruth

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 02:08:11 AM »
salam sardar!

This is not the case of diacritic marks. It is an extra letter i.e., ن there.

Peace