News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Za'atar

Started by عوني, June 19, 2018, 09:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SarahY

Za'tar is awesome. Off course it will be healthy a bunch of herbs and sesame seeds is bound to be good for you.
We all have blind spots.
Follow your heart but take your brain with you.
ambiguity is there for a reason, why do you think?
We're all different, so how can we all be equal?

Cerberus

I've only heard good things about it from the older generation.

Making tea out of it is how we do it here and it is much more effective than just sprinkling a little on your salad.

by the way, Za'atar = Origano

SarahY

Actually I know za'tar to be thyme. but it seems to be used interchangeably with oregano because it's usually in the dried mix.

Zatar is nice on breads or as a croissant, chicken marinate, or dipped with eggs. I don't really like it on a salad.

Oregano tea sounds nice though
We all have blind spots.
Follow your heart but take your brain with you.
ambiguity is there for a reason, why do you think?
We're all different, so how can we all be equal?

عوني

Quote from: SarahY on June 26, 2018, 07:35:44 AM
Za'tar is awesome. Off course it will be healthy a bunch of herbs and sesame seeds is bound to be good for you.

Totally agreed :) I know they make them really good in the Levant were they usually add it to e.g fatayer which tastes very good.

Quote from: Cerberus on June 26, 2018, 07:44:19 AM
I've only heard good things about it from the older generation.

Making tea out of it is how we do it here and it is much more effective than just sprinkling a little on your salad.

by the way, Za'atar = Origano

Wouldn't you say it is better to eat it rather than drinking water (which is sort off soaked by the herb)? I'm thinking you would get more of the nutrients that way. :) But the tea version does sound nice too.

I think the Muslim countries have a lot of plant-based food that can be very healthy such as hummus, fatayer with za'atar, m'jedderah (a mix of lentils and bulgur wheat), chorbat Al-ads (lentil soup), tabbouleh, fattoush, biryani rice, etc.