Author Topic: Advice needed - medication and prayer  (Read 1444 times)

KTHRN

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-1
Advice needed - medication and prayer
« on: April 26, 2018, 07:09:07 AM »
Salaam sisters and brothers,

First of all i *know* i should be figuring this out on my own, because i?m solely responsible for my faith, but this is an issue that?s been tearing my faith, and so, me up.

To cut a long story short, i have a bipolar disorder, had multiple psychotic episodes and can only barely funtion if i take heavy medication.

So, either i am intoxicated or i do not have a sound mind. Because of this, i have kept away from prayer, because the Quran clearly states not to approach prayer in either state.

My question is: what would you do if you were me? I miss talking to our Maker all the time, i have no peace of mind at all. Whenever i go through hard times, it?s like i can?t just talk to my best friend.

Would it be a bad thing if i just prayed again?

Cerberus

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Advice needed - medication and prayer
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 09:27:10 AM »
Talk to God and say what ? There is nothing that is worth saying to God. And there isn't a thing that God isn't aware of.
Maybe talk to God and lament about the harshness of life ? What if it was supposed to be that way ?
Or maybe talk to God and ask for favors ? Wouldn't that be unfair and greedy ?

I think you should take your meds. And try to listen to God. Less talking, more listening. Contemplate.

KTHRN

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 02:19:13 PM »
Haha no, i don?t whine much to Him, neither do i ask for favors. I do, however, like to praise and thank Him, which in turn was how i remembered Him constantly and put him at the forefront of every decision and in turmoil, i was able to remind myself that nothing was so bad because i held that bond with Him.

Not being able to pray really made me realise how good it is to seek contact, for myself. He may know everything already, but i don?t and i miss that reminder.

You?re probably right though, i may have been too much of a blabbermouth and need to learn from this new perspective from the distance.

Peace!  :peace:

Rilum

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 02:37:47 PM »
Peace,
I would stay in contact with him by remembering him, praising him, calling him etc. I would stay away from the prayer when intoxicated and not knowing, what I am saying (4:43).

Get well soon, inshallah :)

HP_TECH

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 04:27:04 PM »
All good advices but missing something FUNDAMENTAL.
Indeed, that something came to me from The Knowledge of the Creator via a conversation with a good-hearted brother regarding this and regarding the confusion many of the members here have between "prayer" and salat.

Prayer in the sense the OP is calling attention to is not salat. What she is actually referring to is Duah or supplication and anyone can supplicate unto their Lord at any time. There is no restriction in regards to supplication so call on Him sincerely.

Salat however is not like the duah, salat is time restricted and it is a time of recitation of Quran and listening to the Quran. Salat is therefore, almost an educational experience, amongst much else it is comprised by.

So have no fear make duah and call unto your Lord and it is the BEST if you can volunteer some sadaqqat or charity to those near you in need before supplicating unto your Lord.

Always remember Allah's Help is indubitably Ever-Near

He responds to the call of the supplicant

Peace 
إِنَّنِي مِنَ الْمُسْلِمِي

My Lord I repent to you for anything I uttered concerning You for which I have no knowledge of. Indeed You are the Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful

Zach

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 05:32:50 PM »
Peace KTHRN,

4:43. O believers, draw not near to as-salaat when you are drunken UNTIL you know what you are saying ...

You seem to be perfectly able to express yourself clearly on this forum.

4:43. ... God is All-pardoning, All-forgiving.

1. Concerning prayer:

2:186. And when My servants question thee concerning Me -- I am near to answer the call of the caller, when he calls to Me; so let them respond to Me, and let them believe in Me; haply so they will go aright.

2. What is "salat"?

I pray god will give you peace of mind.
Arabic | www.quran4peace.org | ‎الإسلام من القرآن
English | www.quran4peace.org/en_index.html
Facebook | www.facebook.com/Quran4Peace | 4,000,000 Likes

hawk99

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 07:46:07 PM »
Salaam sisters and brothers,

First of all i *know* i should be figuring this out on my own, because i’m solely responsible for my faith, but this is an issue that’s been tearing my faith, and so, me up.

To cut a long story short, i have a bipolar disorder, had multiple psychotic episodes and can only barely funtion if i take heavy medication.

So, either i am intoxicated or i do not have a sound mind. Because of this, i have kept away from prayer, because the Quran clearly states not to approach prayer in either state.

My question is: what would you do if you were me? I miss talking to our Maker all the time, i have no peace of mind at all. Whenever i go through hard times, it’s like i can’t just talk to my best friend.

Make salat, make dua, for Allah is all hearing, all knowing.  What is better
than the deen?  Enjoy!   
:group: 

P.S. Take your Meds when it is most convenient.
The secret to monotheism can be found in the garden

عوني

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 05:27:30 PM »
Hi KTHRN my answer will maybe be different, this reminds me of a tweet that I read a year ago that was tweeted by a Sheikh (a great sheikh, check him out) that I found interesting since it offers a different perspective:

https://twitter.com/shaykhazhar/status/930640048105463808

My question is: what would you do if you were me? I miss talking to our Maker all the time, i have no peace of mind at all. Whenever i go through hard times, it?s like i can?t just talk to my best friend.

If I had e.g bipolar I would assume that a healthier diet and exercise (e.g gym) would be highly effective against that and then try that and see if it improves. There is a study that is trying to discover whether for example exercise is effective against bipolar although it is not yet determined (but studies seem to suggest that it may be effective) but things like exercising has shown to be highly effective against depression (which is what bipolar causes) as endorphins is released into the body improving mood and it does make you feel more energized and it has a lot of other health benefits too. So if I had to suggest it would be to keep taking your medication and try an improved diet and exercise along side and see if that helps. When I had depression some time ago I'd notice that I'd feel a lot better if I was eating healthier (I'd assume vitamin deficiency would be a contributor to it) and I would feel a lot better after the gym so I would recommend that. Insh'Allah your condition will get better soon. Something we don't tend to realize is that a good diet and good overall health through training can have a large effect on our way to progress and can improve a lot for us regardless of our condition.

There is a litterature review that talks about how exercising can be effective against mood disorder:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5423723/

hawk99

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 07:19:19 PM »
Peace

I agree diet and exercise are extremely helpful and should be practiced
by all, I would like to include herbs, rest, duas and salat as part of a
healthy lifestyle.  She should also seek both medical and holistic advice.

P.S. Take your Meds when it is most convenient.

The secret to monotheism can be found in the garden

عوني

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 07:29:23 PM »
Peace

I agree diet and exercise are extremely helpful and should be practiced
by all, I would like to include herbs, rest, duas and salat as part of a
healthy lifestyle.  She should also seek both medical and holistic advice.

Hi Hawk, yeah of course and I totally agree with you. : ) I did mention that medication is important too along with a good diet and exercise. She did mention she takes medication though so I'd assume she has gone to the doctor.