Author Topic: Can we translate "As-Salat" as "Social Justice"?  (Read 1355 times)

TellMeTheTruth

• Beginner/Inquirer
Can we translate "As-Salat" as "Social Justice"?
« on: January 16, 2018, 06:11:25 AM »
Salam Brothers and Sisters!

Can we translate "As-Salat" as 'Social Justice - according to Quran's Guidance/Laws'
and translate "Az-Zakat" as 'Distribution of Wealth/Resources - according to Quran's Guidance/Laws'
Please share your views. Thanks!

Note: I am not talking about the terms Social Justice and Distribution of Wealth used in Marxism

Peace!

progressive1993

• Wise One / Burnout
Re: Can we translate "As-Salat" as "Social Justice"?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 06:12:45 AM »
Wow... This is literally the worst interpretation I have seen of salat and zakat.
10:41 If they deny you, say: "My works are for me, and your works are for you. You are innocent of what I do, and I am innocent of what you do."

TellMeTheTruth

• Beginner/Inquirer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 06:15:43 AM »
Would appreciate if you could share the reasons that why do you think so?

progressive1993

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 06:18:12 AM »
Because you are basically advocating marxism. Also, "al zakat" cannot mean "distribution of wealth." And the word for justice is not "salat." It's best you read past posts on the forum and try not too hard to get caught up with it. Basically salat entails reading and preaching of God's message. Zakat means purity or pure growth and "ata al zakat" refers to attaining or showing purity of character/soul/self (nafs) in my opinion as of now.
10:41 If they deny you, say: "My works are for me, and your works are for you. You are innocent of what I do, and I am innocent of what you do."

TellMeTheTruth

• Beginner/Inquirer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 06:19:51 AM »
Please consider the words "According to the Quran's Guidance/Laws". I am not talking about the terms of Marxism at all.

TellMeTheTruth

• Beginner/Inquirer
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 06:29:12 AM »
Because you are basically advocating marxism. Also, "al zakat" cannot mean "distribution of wealth." And the word for justice is not "salat." It's best you read past posts on the forum and try not too hard to get caught up with it. Basically salat entails reading and preaching of God's message. Zakat means purity or pure growth and "ata al zakat" refers to attaining or showing purity of character/soul/self (nafs) in my opinion as of now.
I have been reading past posts for more than a year now and I have a right to disagree with any established translation/interpretation. Word اقیموا is mostly interpreted as "establish". for 'reading' and 'preaching' there are different roots used in Al-Quran. For ME صلاة و عبادة = petition and to call upon Allah, the one and only God who answers your calls. الصلوٰة is term given by Al-Quran. It is an aggregation of Ayats mentioned in Surah 70:19-35 and Surah 23:1-11. These ayats are detailed in Surah 4.

Peace!

TellMeTheTruth

• Beginner/Inquirer
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 06:38:36 AM »
Actually I wanted to say that اقیموا الصلوة means "Establish a system in which you do justice to your relations with your Creator, your family and your sociey based on Quran's teachings". 

amin

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 07:19:57 PM »
On a Personal level, I think, it can be "establish Love/Affection"

huruf

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 02:54:09 AM »
I have come to think that as-salaa is communion, the realisation that we are all one, that God is one, that God and His creztion are one, that everything is one, and that we are a conscience, and an individuality of that ONE. That we derive our sustenance from everything else, that we are the sustenance of everything else, that we are not detached from everything else. That we, all creatures, all that exist are one and the self.

The salaa as ritual may be, that a ritual to remind us a devolve to us the consciousness that we are One, as everything else in God's messages, a reminder. Taht me be the value of the salaa viewed as prayer, but it is just a hlep a crutch a reminder that we must never forget that we are one.

Salaam

progressive1993

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 09:18:36 AM »
I have a feeling that you're a social justice warrior.