News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Is Marriage Commanded?

Started by TheUnseenLight, August 20, 2017, 08:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheUnseenLight

Peace Everyone,

I wanted to hear everyone's understanding in regards to marriage. Is it commanded or did God give us the option to remain single?
I have seen the word "encourage" in the Quran when speaking about marriage between man and women. What are you thoughts? Thank you. God bless.

HP_TECH

I have a better question. Where do you get the notion that it is obligatory or in your words commanded? From which source do you get this?
إِنَّنِي مِنَ الْمُسْلِمِي

My Lord I repent to you for anything I uttered concerning You for which I have no knowledge of. Indeed You are the Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful

TheUnseenLight

24:32 And marry the unmarried among you and the righteous among your male slaves and female slaves. If they should be poor, Allah will enrich them from His bounty, and Allah is all-Encompassing and Knowing.

Comrox

I don't remember coming across any verses that say marriage is compulsory. Certainly there are traditional Muslims who decide not to get married and that is allowed (although their decision may not be accepted well by family/friends/society, but that's just how it is).
10:109 Follow what is being inspired to you and be patient until God judges.

57:3 He is the First and the Last, the Evident and the Innermost. And He is fully aware of all things.

huruf

Quote from: TheUnseenLight on August 22, 2017, 05:23:42 PM
24:32 And marry the unmarried among you and the righteous among your male slaves and female slaves. If they should be poor, Allah will enrich them from His bounty, and Allah is all-Encompassing and Knowing.

In fact this is a command which clearly instructs to monogamy, except where there is an unbalance in the numbers of each sex, much more of one than of another.

Salaam

HP_TECH

Quote from: TheUnseenLight on August 22, 2017, 05:23:42 PM
Excellent always provide Quranic proof.
Yes I believe it is a command.
But I also believe it is a matter one must be patient over until a suitable companion is presented

My Lord I repent to you for anything I uttered concerning You for which I have no knowledge of. Indeed You are the Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful

Makaveli

I don't think there is a command to marry, but in case one wishes to marry God puts an emphasis on marrying only chaste or chaste and believing women: 4:25, 5:5, 24,32. Interestingly, in 4:25 God says that those who cannot marry free beliving women may marry maids/slave women [with permission from her people] (I interpret it as women without full civil right or from other background, such as immigrants), but who also should be chaste and not change partners, but if they commit adultury for them is half of punishment which would normally apply for believing women.

So there is [probably] no injuction to marry but rather to marry specific types of people, who are most suitable for spouses and believing families, which is wise. [A lot of] modern men are stupid enough to marry prostitutes and then wonder why do they leave them and steal most of their wealth by exploiting judical system. :rotfl:
براتىشكا و فايحوشى

To contact me use kasnew1 [at] gee-mail (dot) com.

Man of Faith

Quote from: HP_TECH on August 24, 2017, 01:45:27 AM
Excellent always provide Quranic proof.
Yes I believe it is a command.
But I also believe it is a matter one must be patient over until a suitable companion is presented

That does not seem like a command, more like advice on whom you should marry.
Website reference: [url="http://iamthatiam.boards.net"]http://iamthatiam.boards.net[/url]

HP_TECH

Quote from: Man of Faith on August 24, 2017, 07:17:16 AM
That does not seem like a command, more like advice on whom you should marry.
Click Here!!
(24:32:1)
wa-ankiḥū
And marry      CONJ ? prefixed conjunction wa (and)
V ? 2nd person masculine plural (form IV) imperative verb
PRON ? subject pronoun
الواو عاطفة
فعل أمر والواو ضمير متصل في محل رفع فاعل

I guess I wasn't clear. The verb used is in the imperative form. This is clearly a command God has issued.
I also think the command is given in a sense to call for those who are in a position to do so, to organize or carry out the matchmaking for the single believers and for the servants that are righteous.

TheUnseenLight

Quote from: HP_TECH on August 24, 2017, 04:55:10 PM
I also think the command is given in a sense to call for those who are in a position to do so, to organize or carry out the matchmaking for the single believers and for the servants that are righteous.

Peace Tech,

I forgot to mention, if you meet a women who meet all the qualifications, as well as the man, and all the factors are aligned. Then this is a command from God to marry that individual? Therefore, would you say if you do not marry, it is a sin?