News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Surah Al-Muminun (23:6) and Surah Al-Maarij (70:30)

Started by Jaqen Hghar, August 13, 2017, 01:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaqen Hghar

In a recent online discussion, I protested that Islam does not allow sex-slave. However, the following was replied to me. "Surah Al-Muminun (23:6) and Surah Al-Maarij (70:30) both, in identical wording, draw a distinction between spouses and "those whom one's right hands possess" (female slaves), saying " أَزْوَاجِهِمْ أَوْ مَا مَلَكَتْ أَيْمَانُهُمْ" (literally, "their spouses or what their right hands possess"), while clarifying that sexual intercourse with either is permissible. The purchase of female slaves for sex was lawful from the perspective of Islamic law, and this was the most common motive for the purchase of slaves throughout Islamic history."

I tried to study the tafsir of the verses but things don't look good to me. Can anyone give me a proper explanation?

good logic

Peace  Jaqen Hghar
Here is the problem verse that most translate to imply"having sex with".

وَالَّذينَ هُم لِفُروجِهِم حٰفِظونَ

You need to concentrate on getting this translation right ,then one can understand why GOD added "Aw Ma Malakat Aymanukum" to the next verse.
It certainly has nothing to do with "having sex with".
My view is GOD is talking about "private parts"  (Man or woman) .They are private except for spouses and ....( This for me could mean your doctor/nurse etc. My understanding.
Anyway ,for sure it has nothing to do with sex. GOD is clear in Qoran,sex with any other (except your spouse) is Zina!!
GOD bless you.
Peace.
TOTAL LOYALTY TO GOD ALONE.   IN GOD I TRUST
38:65″ Say:? I warn you; There is no other god beside GOD, the One, the Supreme.?
[url="https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/"]https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/[/url]

Noon waalqalami

Quote from: Jaqen Hghar on August 13, 2017, 01:13:22 AM
In a recent online discussion, I protested that Islam does not allow sex-slave. However, the following was replied to me. "Surah Al-Muminun (23:6) and Surah Al-Maarij (70:30) both, in identical wording, draw a distinction between spouses and "those whom one's right hands possess" (female slaves), saying " أَزْوَاجِهِمْ أَوْ مَا مَلَكَتْ أَيْمَانُهُمْ" (literally, "their spouses or what their right hands possess"), while clarifying that sexual intercourse with either is permissible. The purchase of female slaves for sex was lawful from the perspective of Islamic law, and this was the most common motive for the purchase of slaves throughout Islamic history."

I tried to study the tafsir of the verses but things don't look good to me. Can anyone give me a proper explanation?

Peace Jaqen Hghar -- ask them to be consistent and does it apply equally to women?

24:30 قل say للمومنىن to the believers ىغضوا lower they of من from ابصارهم vision/gaze theirs وىحفظوا and guarded they of فروجهم furūjahum/intimate parts theirs ذلك such ازكى purest لهم for them ان indeed الله the god خبىر aware بما in what ىصنعون working

24:31 وقل and say للمومنت to the believers (f/p) ىغضضن lower they من from ابصارهن vision/gaze theirs (f/p) وىحفظن and guarded they (f/p) فروجهن furūjahunna/intimate parts theirs (f/p) ولا and not ىبدىن display زىنتهن adornment theirs (f/p) الا except ما what ظهر apparent منها therein ولىضربن and to striketh they (f/p) بخمرهن bikhumurihinna/with cover theirs على on جىوبهن bosoms theirs ولا and not ىبدىن display زىنتهن adornment theirs (f/p) الا except لبعولتهن to husbands theirs او or اباىهن forefathers (paternal/maternal) theirs او or اباء fathers بعولتهن husbands theirs او or ابناىهن sons theirs (f/p) او or ابناء sons بعولتهن husbands theirs او or اخوانهن brothers theirs او or بنى sons اخوانهن brothers theirs او or بنى sons اخواتهن sisters theirs (f/p) او or نساىهن nisāihinna/womenfolk theirs (f/p i.e. female relatives) او or ما mā/what ملكت malakat/control/vouchsafe اىمنهن aymānuhunna/right hands theirs (f/p) او or التابعىن the attendants/followers غىر other than اولى possessors الاربه the desire من from الرجال the menfolk او or الطفل the young الذىن the ones لم not ىظهروا cognizant they of على on عورات private النساء the womenfolk ولا and not ىضربن striketh they (f/p) بارجلهن with feet theirs لىعلم to know ما what ىخفىن concealed they من from زىنتهن adornment theirs (f/p) وتوبوا and turn ye of الى to الله the god جمىعا all of اىه you المومنون the believing لعلكم that may you تفلحون succeeding

Likewise a page from one of the earliest dated manuscripts...

Mazhar

23:1-11

This exception clause of the sentence was erroneously translated by pioneer Christian translators in English as under:

Contd in link
[url="http://haqeeqat.pk/index.htm"]http://haqeeqat.pk/index.htm[/url]

NK

Salam,

In both verses the Arabic word " أَوْ " which means "or" it never means "and". There is a much difference. If you read Quran it only allow sexual intercourse with marriage which is supported by Quranic verses 4:3, 24, 25 and 24:32. Therefore, it is a misconception that sexual intercourse with one's slave is permitted without marriage.

It is my interpretation and you don't have to agree with me.

Regards,
NK

Mazhar

Quote from: NK on September 04, 2017, 03:32:52 PM
Salam,

In both verses the Arabic word " أَوْ " which means "or" it never means "and". There is a much difference. If you read Quran it only allow sexual intercourse with marriage which is supported by Quranic verses 4:3, 24, 25 and 24:32. Therefore, it is a misconception that sexual intercourse with one's slave is permitted without marriage.

It is my interpretation and you don't have to agree with me.

Regards,
NK

No doubt, no woman is permissible except after Nikah. " أَوْ " is also used as "and/or". Or restricts the choice to either which is not the intended meaning. It is explained in the given link in my earlier post.
[url="http://haqeeqat.pk/index.htm"]http://haqeeqat.pk/index.htm[/url]