About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

24:31 - To reveal their beauty

Started by Faith, July 17, 2017, 06:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faith

Greetings,
I'm battling with my mind to try to understand the purpose of the verse below:

...And they should put forth their shawls over their cleavage, and they should not reveal their beauty except to their husbands, or their fathers, or fathers of their husbands, or their sons, or the sons of their husbands, or their brothers, or the sons of their brothers, or the sons of their sisters, or their women, or those committed to by their oath, or the male servants who are without need, or the child who has not yet understood the composition of women... - 24:31

We know that the beauty isn't talking about the face, so what is the purpose of revealing your "beauty" to anyone other than your husband/fiance? Showing the cleavage to "their fathers, or fathers of their husbands, or their sons..." etc. but why? I'm being serious. If you're going to tell me that it's not talking about cleavage, then what other beauty is it talking about?

God knows best.
Peace.
my Lord and your Lord is on a straight path, not a curved one.

Noon waalqalami

Peace,

Last week was on a beach and reminded of the verse and to lower the gaze; imagine would also apply in whose company a woman could breastfeed a child; discreetly of course ...

Wakas

peace,

I see it as flexibility within the household for various situations that might arise, e.g. breastfeeding, giving birth, changing clothes, wearing less clothes indoors if too hot, bathing/showering, ablutions etc. The message is one of modesty, and it is better to be modest even if given leeway (24:60), but it is letting us know it is not a sin if some "beauty" is revealed sometimes with these people/situations etc, allowing us to be more relaxed/comfortable.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

reel

Quote from: Wakas on July 18, 2017, 05:22:00 AM
peace,

I see it as flexibility within the household for various situations that might arise, e.g. breastfeeding, giving birth, changing clothes, wearing less clothes indoors if too hot, bathing/showering, ablutions etc. The message is one of modesty, and it is better to be modest even if given leeway (24:60), but it is letting us know it is not a sin if some "beauty" is revealed sometimes with these people/situations etc, allowing us to be more relaxed/comfortable.

Yeah, that's what I had in mind also.

Quote from: Faith on July 17, 2017, 06:27:04 PM
Greetings,
I'm battling with my mind to try to understand the purpose of the verse below:

...And they should put forth their shawls over their cleavage, and they should not reveal their beauty except to their husbands, or their fathers, or fathers of their husbands, or their sons, or the sons of their husbands, or their brothers, or the sons of their brothers, or the sons of their sisters, or their women, or those committed to by their oath, or the male servants who are without need, or the child who has not yet understood the composition of women... - 24:31

We know that the beauty isn't talking about the face, so what is the purpose of revealing your "beauty" to anyone other than your husband/fiance? Showing the cleavage to "their fathers, or fathers of their husbands, or their sons..." etc. but why? I'm being serious. If you're going to tell me that it's not talking about cleavage, then what other beauty is it talking about?

God knows best.
Peace.

Not all days of humans will ever be similar. Think of being in hospital bed too ill to move around. Humans will have no choice other than seeking someone's help. No gender is immune to such critical time.
"I fear that nothing will lead me to hell more than ḥadīth"-Hadith collector: Shu'ba Ibn al-Ḥajjāj

Mazhar

And you the Messenger [Sal'lallaa'hoalaih'wa'salam] pronounce for the Believing Women that they should reduce their focused attention upon men [just for info: it is most powerful stimuli to excite] and that they should preserve their genitalia [for into: it is the end area in sex process].

And that they should not make eminently noticeable their attraction- bosoms; exception is for that which has naturally swelled out above the surface.

However, they should strike barrier obscuring their surfaced bosoms by putting their un-sown sheets upon their chests.

And they should not expose- make noticeable their attraction- bosoms by removing extra veil/sheet except before their husbands;

Or before their fathers, or fathers of their husbands; or their sons or sons from other wives of their husbands;

Or their brothers, or sons of their brothers, or sons of their sisters;

Or their own-family women [not strangers]; or maid servants under their control and obligation;

Or male attendants who are "the other than of holders of genitalia desiring for marriage- castrated" considered in state of amongst the Men;

Or the children, those who have not yet become aware-explicitly cognizant regarding the "private sexual parts/aspects" of the women.

And women should not publicly walk striking their feet so that it might become understood what they veil of their attraction: bosoms.

And you people are directed to turn repenting towards Allah the Exalted collectively, O you the true Believers.
The objective being that you people might attain and reap the fruit of perpetual success. [24:31]
[url="http://haqeeqat.pk/index.htm"]http://haqeeqat.pk/index.htm[/url]

The Sardar

There is also these 2 verses i found.

48:28 He is the One who sent His messenger with the guidance and the system of truth, so that it would expose all other systems. And God is enough as a witness.

48:29 Muhammad is God?s Messenger. And those who are with him are stern towards the deniers, and compassionate among themselves. You can see them bowing, adoring (Him), as they seek God?s bounty and acceptance. Their signs (of belief) are on their faces, the effects of adoration. Such is their likeness in the Torah and their likeness in the Gospel. They are like a seed that brings forth its shoot, and then He strengthens it, so that it grows stout, and then stands firm on its stem, delighting those who have sown it. As a result it enrages the deniers at them. And God promises forgiveness and an immense reward to those who attain belief and do acts of beneficence.

huruf

This aya is the very common sense. What appears appears and there is nothign wrong with it nor anything to do about it. It is what is shown off (yubdina) what is pointed to women to avoid in front of anybody who is not of their inner circle, be they men or women.

Obviously what is recommended here to women is not to fall prey to what society so much imposes on them which is that it is their physical attributes what may promote them in society and which has been the foremost value of women in many of those societies: their beauty. The Qur'an discourages them from that and encourages them to put value in other values, which are moral and spiritual values and which are the same for men and women.

No extra modesty or chastity is required from women. They are warned against relaying on their physical attractiveness.

Salaam

The Sardar

Quote from: huruf on July 20, 2017, 07:07:04 AM
No extra modesty or chastity is required from women. They are warned against relaying on their physical attractiveness.

Salaam
Pevertedly. I unfortunatly saw some drunk women showing their naked chest during spring in Sweden which i really regret seeing them,right now i having hard time getting out but its getting weak which is good.