News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Your stand on alcohol consumption based on Quran

Started by OnlyOneGod, June 20, 2017, 03:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OnlyOneGod

The query is very simple, I just want to ask from the forum contributors about their stand on the consumption of alcohol. Do you think (based on your study) is it Haram or not?

As far as I have read in the Quran, we have been guided to abstain from it in situations where it clouds the mind during prayer (i.e excessive consumption), other than that Allah (SWT) in the Quran does not seem to declare it Haram for us. Maybe I'm wrong so need other peoples input.

Salaam

A Submitter

Quote from: OnlyOneGod on June 20, 2017, 03:37:47 PM
The query is very simple, I just want to ask from the forum contributors about their stand on the consumption of alcohol. Do you think (based on your study) is it Haram or not?

As far as I have read in the Quran, we have been guided to abstain from it in situations where it clouds the mind during prayer (i.e excessive consumption), other than that Allah (SWT) in the Quran does not seem to declare it Haram for us. Maybe I'm wrong so need other peoples input.

Salaam
Not haram. Though,it could lead to doing haram things.
I recommend you read The Natural Republic, it goes into detail and explains well. Start from PDF page 130, under the subject title Drug/Alcohol.

https://free-minds.org/sites/default/files/TNR.pdf

Salam

huruf

No, the Qur'an does nto say it is haram, but it says other things like that it is an evil (rijs) work of shaytan...

And in another aya it says that it has some good sides but that the bad sides ar greater than the good.

So, it does not say that it is haram, so what? Does that mean that if it was said haram it would be worse?

Eating pig is haram, so what is worse pig of wine? Of the pig the Qur'an does nto say the bad things it says of spirits, so why not say haram to spirits and say it about pig.

Which is a greater evil?

Alcohol is the hardest drug known. It destroys societies, families, persons.

No haram? How good! go and drink even, if you are told that it is the evil work of the shaytan.

By the way does it say anywhere inthe Qur'an that zina is haram literally? I cna't remember that it says so. Just to check as to when Does God say haram and when not.

Salaam

Wakas

peace,

http://misconceptions-about-islam.com/alcohol-is-forbidden.htm

Some people think "haram" is the strongest word Quran can use to forbid something, but what is actually the evidence for this? For example pig meat is "haram" but Quran says in times of hunger/desperation one can eat it [2:173].
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

imrankhawaja

quran does not say

lie is haram
dishonesty is haram
cheating is haram
robbery is haram

but quran say us to stay away from it .. for our own Good

same thing "ijtanabu" quran used it for alcohol and gambling
we should stay away from it too.. for our own good

although the verse indicate stay away from devil(shaitan)/evil

the word quran use in 2:219 is اثم is translated as sin not as "HARM"
in all other occassions this word is understood as "SIN"

so we should avoid sin at any cost..

the catagory is although not like a "PIG" meat thats why people do it in general bothering not much about it same as they lie ,cheat and do other small sins without bothering much..

but in some cases alcohal related accidents cost the lives of people and society so its better if we stay away from this thing..

huruf

Quote from: Wakas on June 21, 2017, 04:41:50 AM
peace,

http://misconceptions-about-islam.com/alcohol-is-forbidden.htm

Some people think "haram" is the strongest word Quran can use to forbid something, but what is actually the evidence for this? For example pig meat is "haram" but Quran says in times of hunger/desperation one can eat it [2:173].

That is right, that is what I am getting at. Pig meat does not do to a society the harm alcohol does.

The distinction I think is that obeying things like haram is automatic. It does not take much strength of will. There are so many thing to eat and so many ways to prepare them without haing to resort to pig...

But, on the other hand to keep away from alcohol is nto automatic. Many people have not been alcoholics in their life and then comes a time of hardship and spirists are such an easy comfort and refuge... It takes will, strength of will, a lot of conviction.

That, I think, may be why the Qur'an does not say haram, but tells us what it does to us. It divests us of our humanity and turns as into the work of the shaytan. It says so in the Qur'an. Don't we see? Do we need to be told it is haram in order to realise that we become shaytans. What do we want to be machines where we are pushed the button haram and we do it but refuse to reason? That is precisely what the Qur'an tells us not to do.

Alcohol is nto haram, it is much worse than haram, it is hell, for the drinker and the victims of the drinker. But we do not fight that with the haram automatic button, but with conviction and strength of will and repsect for our own God given humanity. With compassion for ourseles and for those to whom we can bring no end of worries and suffering through our falling into the clutches of that devil.

Of course there are plenty of people who drink moderately spparently and do not fall into alcohlism or drunkardness. The thing is whether all those who drink moderately at a gien time will remain so throughout their lives. The thing is also whether it pays for a society to hava a certain amount of people who drink moderately while having a certain amount of people becoming the abject victims of the "shaytan" tht is alcohol. As the poet says "so many have been destroyed by the happiness of the happy".

Salaam

imrankhawaja

PIG meat is a "filthy thing" thats why its haram.. same like urine is not suppose to drink ...

alcohol is not filthy but its chemistry drive some of them crazy , some of them relax after drinking, some of them make accidents while drinking, some of them encounter illegal sex due to the heat of alcohol in body, some of them eat red wine for making themselves hungry so that they consume food properly, some of them use alcohol as a substance for mouthwash and perfumes that helps us getting rid from nasty smell, some of them start making trouble in land while they drunk,

although less benefits but more harms.. (drinking itself) is not accoutable but it makes chances of wrong doing at a risky level..

PIG and alcohal  are both different things we cannot compare them..
if you drink alcohol and did not do anything wrong (you will not accountable)
if you eat PIG when u have other things to eat(you will held accountable) for disobeying the command of God.

Maha

I don't drink alcohol because I don't like the smell of it, and I don't see why I should. But I have not read any verse in the Quran which directly makes it haram, rather the Quran seems to warn us against alcohol consumption because it can be detrimental to us.
''No one has ever made himself great by showing how small someone else is''

huruf

Alcohol is a collectie evil, it does not matter that we do nothing wrong even though we drink it. If we drink we contribute to others drinking, to the normalisation of alcohol. So indeed we are responsible as members of society.

Again, it is not a question of the button haram or no button at all. Every one knows, every one, every adult, that alcohol is a hard drug that it causes enormous suffering and human and economic losses, so one is not responsible if one does nothing? And how do we know that we will always be like that.

Pig is not near as dangerous as alochol, and one of the reasons is precisely because  people do not have to make a will effort not to eat pork but they do have to do it not to drink. Ask any Alcoholic anonymous about it. It is pitiless on the part of those who do not have trouble not drinking to deliberately indicate that it is ok and they will not be judged for it and ignore that for many people that is not so straightforward or easy. It would be of the greatest help to them that alcohol was not so common, so readily available, even so pushed down our throats, so popular and so "inocuous".

Inocuous if you do not get drunk... tell that to those who cannot quit it even though they would like very much to...

Again it is the hardest drug known, may be because of being the most attractive and pleasurable.

The Qur'an seems to waste words at times, because. if it misses the convenient "haram" button, is as it if had said nothing at all. 

Pig does not destroy societies, alcohol does, whole societies. So we are comfortable with the work of shaytan, fantastic. 

Salaam

imrankhawaja

doing "shirk" also does not harm any society same like pig meat but it is a gross SIN..  isnt it?