News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Divorcing an addicted husband

Started by fredet, June 08, 2017, 12:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredet

Hey, I am married to an alcoholic addict. I don't know what to do. He convinced me that he was a teetotaler before the marriage. But, he was lying. I cannot cope up with this behavior of his. He is also quarrelsome after using alcohol.
I am going to ask him to get addiction help from Toronto. If he is planning to continue with his behavior, then I am going to ask for a divorce. What do you guys think?

Layth

Salam,

It is impossible to give someone advice as only they know the extent of their situation.

When you say alcoholic, I assume you mean someone who drinks regularly (possibly each day) and who drinks to the point of drunkenness?
`And when God Alone is mentioned, the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter are filled with aversion; and when others are mentioned beside Him, they rejoice!` (The Quran 39:45)

Aries

Quote from: fredet on June 08, 2017, 12:24:50 AM
Hey, I am married to an alcoholic addict. I don't know what to do. He convinced me that he was a teetotaler before the marriage. But, he was lying. I cannot cope up with this behavior of his. He is also quarrelsome after using alcohol.
I am going to ask him to get addiction help from Toronto. If he is planning to continue with his behavior, then I am going to ask for a divorce. What do you guys think?

You can not help whom is not willing to help himself.

Stay safe

huruf

Either you can helpt him to fight it or you can't. If you can't, really I see myself inyour situation and I would divorce.

Give yourself may be a room for trial and if that fails, go ahead May be the fact that he looses a family may bring some sonse into his life. If not, there is ntohing you can do except get drowned with him.

Salaam and really, really, pray for you for the best. It is a very trying, hellish situation. Be good to yourself and pray for him. But do not stay in the middle or the continuous doubt.

You have all my syimpathy. Him too, but may be there is ntomuch you can do for him. So take care of yourself.

Salaam

fredet

Quote from: Layth on June 08, 2017, 01:36:24 AM
Salam,

It is impossible to give someone advice as only they know the extent of their situation.

When you say alcoholic, I assume you mean someone who drinks regularly (possibly each day) and who drinks to the point of drunkenness?

The latter one.

fredet

Thank you everyone for considering me. :)

Aladin

If you have any issue in a marriage you two should invite your relatives and talk in their presence about an issue. If that helps then thank to Allah and continue your life, if not you're free to divorce. If he leaves you in bed 4 times openly while you're with him, you can divorce too and he has no permition to stop you. That's Kitab (Regulation), but we're doing many things other then Kitab.
el-insan + el-jaann = ins

A Submitter

Quote from: Aladin on June 08, 2017, 06:48:44 AM
If you have any issue in a marriage you two should invite your relatives and talk in their presence about an issue. If that helps then thank to Allah and continue your life, if not you're free to divorce. If he leaves you in bed 4 times openly while you're with him, you can divorce too and he has no permition to stop you. That's Kitab (Regulation), but we're doing many things other then Kitab.
Where is this in Quran that if a man leaves a woman in bed 4 times she should divorce???

Aladin

el-insan + el-jaann = ins

SarahY

Personally hate the idea of drinking and wouldn't tolerate a drunken alcoholic. You've obviously married him so he can't be all bad, something must have attracted you to him.

My advice, see if he is willing to amend his ways to being sober. Explain how the drinking makes you feel and your anger for his lying/misguiding your perception of his drinking. If he is improving and amending his ways is there any reason to divorce? if not, continue happily otherwise go with your decision.

Peace.
We all have blind spots.
Follow your heart but take your brain with you.
ambiguity is there for a reason, why do you think?
We're all different, so how can we all be equal?