News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Should a human being identify with his nationality if there are no nations...

Started by hansolo, January 11, 2017, 01:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hansolo

Should a human being identify with his nationality if there are no family bounds and earthly things such as nationalities and races in the hereafter?

Zulf

We can do it to lesser extents, but with caution.

When someone identifies too much with something, they automatically get in opposition to all that which is other than their own. This is because identifying with a certain thing also means you dis-identify from something else. You cannot identify with every single concept and thing there is. Something is in, and most are out. We select.
So, identifying yourself with something, like a nationality, leads to ideas of separation. You are Uruguayan and NOT Brazilian or Dutch. In the long stretch, this inevitably leads to suspicion, rumors and racism. The unknown is always feared by human beings. If we don't feel separate, we won't fear as much.

However, we need to accept worldly constraints but ALSO focus on the common denominators. This is the challenge. We are all human. Humanity is one big family. Actually, even our souls may not be separate entities like individuals. We need to remind ourselves about all that which is common between us all. This can be stuff at many different level. It's a constant mental and intellectual challenge.

For peace, ideas of separation and fragmentation are to be avoided.

Peace  :)
If you name me, you negate me.

good logic

Peace.

For me it is a matter of "Loyalty".  Are we loyal to GOD Alone or to "others"?

Total loyalty to GOD Alone unites all humankind. Loyalty to others divides the humans.

However, we have to accept society and live among our brothers and sisters doing our best and being "peaceful".

Our nation should be a "Universal" one.  All earth belongs to GOD Alone  for  all of us to live on.
GOD bless.
Peace.
TOTAL LOYALTY TO GOD ALONE.   IN GOD I TRUST
38:65″ Say:? I warn you; There is no other god beside GOD, the One, the Supreme.?
[url="https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/"]https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/[/url]

huruf

Either I do not understnd the uestion or I do not understand the answers.

I disagree tht identifying with somethin to a certin extent should mean disidentifying with something else, on the contrary. It is much easier to identify with something else when you already identify with other things. Like it is not because you love a person that you are not going to love other persons.

I do not see what the problem is.

Salaam

hawk99

Peace

I cannot understand your question, if you would be so kind
as to rephrase your query I would appreciate it.
   :handshake:
The secret to monotheism can be found in the garden

Zulf

I understand "identify with" as something you do to build your identity. All things of this world are temporary,  therefore if we make an image of ourselves/our being as composed of certain things like nationality, sexual preference, blood line, profession, religion, then I believe that image is fake,  or at least it is not describing your real self, the spiritual soul, as that is beyond things of this world. These things you identify with only shows your own impression of yourself, not your actual self. It's a thing of the mind only.
If you rely on a worldly definition of yourself, then you risk huge crisis if some of the things that you think make up you would be proven false or disappear or similar.

That's how I see it at least
Cheers

huruf

I don't know. I think we do need to identify us frommany points of view, or if you like it better, to determine us. We have to know our reality in our medium, what we are and what we are not, nnot to despise whatwe are not, just to know what we are not. We evolve. We are not born the final product, impossible. We have the potential to evolve into the final product, but we are not the finl product, so identifying, I guess is also something that evolves. The fact tht things are temporery does not make them less of what they are. An everything is temporary, so bby that measure we should not appreciate or value anything. Temporary is not nothing. It is what we have.

Salaam

Man of Faith

The tendency of binding a strong bond to the kinship on different levels is a human instinct and among what one must abstain from. One might embrace their own customs and traditions with little respect of what others have and what they think and why they think so. In truth people have just occupied a piece of land calling it their own and then placing their doctrine upon that land.

Be well
Amenuel
Website reference: [url="http://iamthatiam.boards.net"]http://iamthatiam.boards.net[/url]

Zulf

Quote from: huruf on January 12, 2017, 02:23:31 PM
I don't know. I think we do need to identify us frommany points of view, or if you like it better, to determine us. We have to know our reality in our medium, what we are and what we are not, nnot to despise whatwe are not, just to know what we are not. We evolve. We are not born the final product, impossible. We have the potential to evolve into the final product, but we are not the finl product, so identifying, I guess is also something that evolves. The fact tht things are temporery does not make them less of what they are. 

I think the issue might be what we think of the word 'identify'.
Of course, I identify as a person from Sweden. I identify as someone who went to university. I identify as a man. Etc

But I'm also keenly aware that not nationality, nor education or gender, are things that are inherently me. They also don't make me a better or worse person. If I for example wake up with complete amnesia in Uruguay, I won't recall being a person from Sweden or having been to university. In this sense, such things, like nationality, are just fleeting ideas that I decide is part of me.

They are part of my image of me that I hold in my awareness and memory in my mind, but they are not part of my actual being. I don't believe souls after death have nationalities.

For this reason, I find it wise to keep this in mind. The reason for that is that we can develop and nurture a sense of unity with all human beings, and even all living things, and perhaps even the entire creation. It is much better, in my opinion, to think of the unifying things as deeper and more genuine than to see the superficial things like skin color or caste as the most important and defining thing.

Of course we must identify to a certain extent with stuff, because our mind is programmed to classify everything we come across, otherwise the mind and brain would not be able to make sense of the world.

But to classify yourself is not the same as thinking that you are things that you are actually not. You may classify yourself as a woman, from Finland, being a pilot, and a mother of five, but these things are not the essence of you. These things are just how your life has expressed itself. Like profession. We are not our profession, and still people think they ARE doctors, or plumbers or whatever. No, their training and profession is like that, but that just a circumstantial dress we wear in this life.

Again, it nothing wrong classifying yourself. But identifying your real self with concepts is not wise simply because it is not the reality. So, I don't disagree with you, but we are perhaps thinking about different things.

Also, insecure people usually over identify with concepts like religion, nation, genetics, caste and such. It is very common for people to dislike other with different skin color, or different religion, or different nationality, or different language, or different sexual preference. That's insane. Racism e.g. is based on fear and corrupt identification. We are all human beings. Hating someone because of temporary, fleeting concepts or physical attributes are madness. That's what I actually want to say.

QuoteTemporary is not nothing. It is what we have.

Temporary is also not everything actually. It might be everything we can see right now, but I believe there is something more that just this temporary world. When we die, I believe something remains when the body is gone.

Peace and kind greetings