News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Helping students cheat

Started by smmirza1, July 11, 2016, 09:10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smmirza1

Hey guys,
Over the past couple of years, I have been writing essays for college students.  I have searched in the Quran for any thing which prohibits this but am unable to find it.  Are there any relevant verses which you know of regarding the matter?  These are the verses which are pertinent but they don't say anything about what I am doing:

4:29 O YOU who have attained to faith! Do not devour one another's possessions wrongfully - not even by way of trade based on mutual agreement- and do not destroy one another: for, behold, God is indeed a dispenser of grace unto you!

17:35 And give full measure whenever you measure, and weigh with a balance that is true:this will be [for your own] good, and best in the end.

imrankhawaja

are you writting esssey from somebody else stuff, i mean plagarising or just write your own views ,,?

savage_carrot

I think you'll be better served by looking at concepts in the quran, like independent thought and the importance of being truthful and so on. Are they using/buying these essays and passing them off as their own? That's wrong. Are they using it to help them better understand and/or compose their own? Not wrong...etc. Perhaps you should have some sort of disclaimer...realizing what they may be used for. You should at least have a say in how they should be used in the best possible way rather than the worst.
God has a plan, Gaius. He has a plan for everything and everyone.

imrankhawaja

i think i little bit understand what is the nature of the business,

actually people pay for assignments and then the students submit these assignments for marks like exams and now a days there are different people in market who make assignment for the sake of money ,,

i think it comes in the sense of dishonesty or cheating, or unfair play..

one of my frd was also offering me for this kinda business but i just refuse it due to the logics behind all this..

smmirza1

Salaam,
Yes I do have a disclaimer saying this work is not to be passed as your own. As I said in my earlier post, I would like verses to back up your arguments.  The verses I highlighted do not address my issue.

Comrox

Wait so I don't really understand... You say you're helping students cheat by writing papers for them, but you also say that the work is not to be passed off as their own? How are they using your papers then?
10:109 Follow what is being inspired to you and be patient until God judges.

57:3 He is the First and the Last, the Evident and the Innermost. And He is fully aware of all things.

savage_carrot

Quote from: smmirza1 on July 11, 2016, 01:04:28 PM
Salaam,
Yes I do have a disclaimer saying this work is not to be passed as your own. As I said in my earlier post, I would like verses to back up your arguments.  The verses I highlighted do not address my issue.
What arguments? You want specific verses for why you shouldn't sell essays to students that were going to pass it off as their own? It's pretty crystal even without specific verses. It's like saying I want to know if there is a verse that prohibits a particular 'bad' thing when not all bad things are specifically listed but come under general concepts of prohibition in a connected way. If you do have a disclaimer, then what is the reason you're looking for verses that prohibit selling essays to students? Be clear please. As far as I can tell given the limited information available is that someone is looking for a specific prohibition on selling essays to students, so they are obviously concerned about the negative ramifications of such which would include being a party to or facilitating plagiarism. It's not as if you're looking for the prohibition because it can only be a good thing. So, no there aren't any verses in the quran that say 'do not sell essays to college students' but there are plenty of verses that talk about doing honest work, not deceiving others, being righteous, truthful etc that are pretty basic and can be easily found and by extension cover things that involve deceit...if one is party to doing so knowingly, they too are complicit. If you think your work falls into such a category, or is doing more harm than good then you need to re-evaluate what you can do to limit that harm, amplify the good and/or drop it. There isn't much more to say.

Comrox

The only way I could see this making sense in helping them cheat is if the students are paraphrasing the sentences in your essays into their own words, so it resembles their own written voice. So theoretically it would be their essay, but they would be taking your essay structure and ideas to get the grade.

57:3 He is the First and the Last, the Evident and the Innermost. And He is fully aware of all things.

smmirza1

Hello,
So here are the details.  My site works on a freelancing model where students post homework and then tutors write out solutions.  It could be anything from math problems, exams to essays.  I know that students are using the site to cheat.  However, I am not deceiving anyone here.  The disclaimer states pretty explicitly that all work is owned by tutors and that students cannot pass it on their own.  Obviously, most students are using the work as is.  This is what concerns me and I was looking for some references from the Quran addressing this issue.  Keep in mind the whole issue of cheating is a gray area.  Some students don't have the time (working in low paying jobs) or the aptitude to pass a class.  The educational system as a whole is pretty corrupt with ridiculous tuition and favoring students with high income background.  Most classes are required for students to take them and have no real world significance.  I am not defending cheating here but giving you a background.  The fact of the matter is that me personally have no control on how students use the material given to them by tutors.  I am being a 100% honest with students (my customers) and providing a product which they are paying for.  Hope this makes more sense.

imrankhawaja

Quote from: smmirza1 on July 11, 2016, 07:34:38 PM
Hello,
So here are the details.  My site works on a freelancing model where students post homework and then tutors write out solutions.  It could be anything from math problems, exams to essays.  I know that students are using the site to cheat. 

so basically you are doing their homework on their behalf, by getting money so you are infact selling education , why dnt you become a tutor to teach education instead of selling..

its something like you are selling something which they have no knowledge off, if somebody become a doctor but dnt know how to operate, if somebody become an engineer but dnt know how to construct,

either way its something i would not suggest you to do, it cannot be right? by any justification

honesty is the best policy , again if a person get a job by your provided homework and the one who struggle a lot with his own study and did not get any job who really deserve it, how you will feel?

peace

savage_carrot

Hello,
So here are the details.  My site works on a freelancing model where students post homework and then tutors write out solutions.  It could be anything from math problems, exams to essays.  I know that students are using the site to cheat.  However, I am not deceiving anyone here.  The disclaimer states pretty explicitly that all work is owned by tutors and that students cannot pass it on their own.  Obviously, most students are using the work as is.  This is what concerns me and I was looking for some references from the Quran addressing this issue.  Keep in mind the whole issue of cheating is a gray area.  Some students don't have the time (working in low paying jobs) or the aptitude to pass a class.  The educational system as a whole is pretty corrupt with ridiculous tuition and favoring students with high income background.  Most classes are required for students to take them and have no real world significance.  I am not defending cheating here but giving you a background.  The fact of the matter is that me personally have no control on how students use the material given to them by tutors.  I am being a 100% honest with students (my customers) and providing a product which they are paying for.  Hope this makes more sense.
I understand. You could however maybe advise them on how to better their situations in practical terms that don't involve shortcuts but would require more effort from both sides and apparently is not the model you're working with. You won't find any specific verses but if you do know those that do it and let it go, you may be complicit in facilitating deception and it may just get the student kicked out of college. I can't really defend it since I know most would be using it as is to cheat as well esp if your model just involves giving them 'answers/essays'. I can find ways to justify it as well but the bottom line is that it's not the way it should be done, defeats the purpose and to honestly know who doesn't have the time or aptitude or smart elder siblings or parents to help them out, you'd have to personally know their circumstances...which I'm guessing you don't since places like these tend to be fairly anonymous and keep to the services? And even if you did, it still wouldn't make it right and/or fair to the others who despite circumstances manage to do their own work. It's easy to pass on the responsibility harder to question our roles but given that you are, I would advise a move to another model that involves a more direct and fruitful connection with said students rather than just handing them answers they pay for.

Quranically, this may come under the principle of personal responsibility...what you do affects/facilitates a net negative rather than a positive (most students cheat). This would mean that the model needs to change to amplify the good since currently it seems to be helping those who want an easy way out of their own personal responsibilities.

JavaLatte

The educational system as a whole is pretty corrupt with ridiculous tuition and favoring students with high income background.  Most classes are required for students to take them and have no real world significance.

I can't deny that.

QuoteI am not defending cheating here but giving you a background.  The fact of the matter is that me personally have no control on how students use the material given to them by tutors.  I am being a 100% honest with students (my customers) and providing a product which they are paying for.  Hope this makes more sense.

May Allah guide you to choose the right decision regarding this issue. However, if I were you, I possibly choose to stop this kind of business.

Peace.
[33:72] Verily, We offered the trust to the heavens and the earth and the mountains, but they refused to bear it and they were afraid of it; but man bear it - verily, he was transgressing, ignorant.

Comrox

Hello,

I see.

As savage_carrot has said, there is no explicit rule in the Qur'an that says to not do what you are doing.

But, even though you are not deceiving anyone, I would argue that you are aiding in their destruction.

Quote from: smmirza1 on July 11, 2016, 09:10:53 AM
4:29 O YOU who have attained to faith! Do not devour one another's possessions wrongfully - not even by way of trade based on mutual agreement- and do not destroy one another: for, behold, God is indeed a dispenser of grace unto you!

Destruction doesn't have to be physical. It can be emotional, or in this case, academic. By providing a service for students, you are aiding them in not learning the material. They are not improving their writing skill or written arguments. They are not growing or learning as students, despite paying for the education. They are being hindered. They have chosen to go to college - so I would hope they would want to learn as much as they can from this chosen experience. If not, maybe college isn't the place for them to be, as it isn't for everyone.

Also, perhaps you're not writing essays on medical matters for pre-med students, but what if a topic you're writing about for them is crucial in saving a life? Or less dramatic, crucial in securing and succeeding in their career choice? What if they absolutely need to know this knowledge for another class they have to take in the future? Just something to think about.

That being said - You are still not responsible for what they do. They cannot blame you, only themselves. Although you provide a service (that sounds like its intent is not to allow students to cheat), they choose to use that service.

So... up to you really. Do you think you should be continuing this practice? Do you have the means to stop it if you wished?

Timotheus

Peace,

Whatever the circumstances, we must all strive for truth and justice, and not to support transgression of it. i do not know the exact circumstances, but its up to us to make the best judgement we can, applying the teachings of our lords scriptures. If you think that what you are doing is alright, and in accordance with gods scriptures, then the deed is yours, and if you think it is supporting cheating (i dont realy know at the end of the day, because i dont know what they are used for) then i would advice you stopped, however the deed is still yours. i personaly have made a commitment to not support any kind of dishonesty, as much as possible.
What could i say that is better than what God has already informed us of?
Follow God
Seek His guidance, the only guidance
Glory and Praise be to God, rabbil Aalameen

reel

Ignorance is very much condemned by Allah throughout the Quran. If the students are taking essays from you they remain ignorant. They learn nothing. Secondly, if they are in college it is a favor from the creator. In many places around the world, people don't even have the option to go to elementary schools. So those college students should be grateful.

And when covers them a wave like canopies, they call Allah, (being) sincere to Him (in) religion. But when He delivers them to the land then among them (some are) moderate. And not deny Our Signs except every traitor ungrateful.31:32

But again, the verse can be applied to ignorant professors and teachers for they have been gifted a position to create tomorrow's talented people. Also consider the following:
O you who believe! Indeed, many of the rabbis and the monks surely eat (the) wealth (of) the people in falsehood, and hinder from (the) way (of) Allah. And those who hoard the gold and the silver, and (do) not spend it in (the) way (of) Allah, [so] give them tidings of a punishment painful.9:34

Some professors and teachers are not here to teach no matter how enthusiastic the students are. I have seen many give up their dream careers just because of how those people make it difficult for them to pass the classes. They forget that they are  to provide their teaching services in exchange for the students' fees. Education is the way to knowing and discovering Allah's signs. Professors and teachers are to make it feasible. But no, some would rather steal the money while discouraging students to succeed.

So basically, we are dealing with a sticky situation. Not all students have the same story to tell. However, if you feel guilty you can do what I did. I always told students that I would edit their paper instead of actually writing it.

Truth is that rarely two people follow the same style in writing and speaking. The students are, thus, taking a big risk by asking help from your site. I remember catching papers like that when I was a TA for a biology class. The teacher told me to let go of them.
"I fear that nothing will lead me to hell more than ḥadīth"-Hadith collector: Shu'ba Ibn al-Ḥajjāj

imrankhawaja

there are always two ways one is right one is wrong,

my personal experience is telling me walking on straight path is always a problem for everybody so most of them choose a shortcut or wrong way which only cause trouble and loss ..

same in study only some of the students are honest rest of them jst doing it due to parents, society, purpose , and for this they need to clear it by any means possible and devil is always helpful in walking on wrong path so he introduce the ideas of wronging our soule...

most of them get traped in it..

es

Salaam,

Quote from: smmirza1 on July 11, 2016, 09:10:53 AM
Hey guys,
Over the past couple of years, I have been writing essays for college students.  I have searched in the Quran for any thing which prohibits this but am unable to find it.  Are there any relevant verses which you know of regarding the matter?  These are the verses which are pertinent but they don't say anything about what I am doing:

17:35 And give full measure whenever you measure, and weigh with a balance that is true:this will be [for your own] good, and best in the end.

Being the genius that I am, I hit asked some years ago to carry out the exact same work. I would have probably been a millionaire by now if I had taken it up. However, I didn't. As one of my Professors at Law School echoed in our first lecture "You can cheat if you want, but it's s matter of your integrity." There are some things in life which one cannot buy.

I feel as though you know it's wrong and that you feel uncomfortable about it, but you just haven't quite got there yet.

All the best.

Salaam.

Timotheus

Quote from: es on July 18, 2016, 07:14:44 PM
Salaam,

Being the genius that I am, I hit asked some years ago to carry out the exact same work. I would have probably been a millionaire by now if I had taken it up. However, I didn't. As one of my Professors at Law School echoed in our first lecture "You can cheat if you want, but it's s matter of your integrity." There are some things in life which one cannot buy.

I feel as though you know it's wrong and that you feel uncomfortable about it, but you just haven't quite got there yet.

All the best.

Salaam.

Peace,

Alhamdullilah, good points es,

"I feel as though you know it's wrong and that you feel uncomfortable about it, but you just haven't quite got there yet."

Well said, often people seem to ask 'is this ok?' etc when they know its not, or there is some sin with it, but thier soul desires in some ways for someone to say 'yes its fine', and justify it, of course:

12:53 وما ابرئ نفسى ان النفس لامارة بالسوء الا ما رحم ربى ان ربى غفور رحيم

And I do not absolve my self, indeed the self is a certain advocate with evil, except what my Lord has had mercy. Indeed my Lord is forgiving, merciful

(my own faliable interpretation, limited by much)

Personaly, i love this quote:

"You can cheat if you want, but it's s matter of your integrity."

Alhamdullilah.

What profit is it to man, to gain the world, yet cause loss to his soul?

Peace
What could i say that is better than what God has already informed us of?
Follow God
Seek His guidance, the only guidance
Glory and Praise be to God, rabbil Aalameen