News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Classical Arabic Grammar: difference between مَّا (ma with shadda) and مَا

Started by Anoushirvan, May 29, 2016, 09:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anoushirvan

Peace free-minders,

Does someone know the difference between two Mā, one with shadda مَّا and one without shadda مَا  ?

Both seem to be used for negation with imperfect verbs.

Example for Mā with shadda.
2.105 مَّا يَوَدُّ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُواْ مِنْ أَهْلِ الْكِتَابِ وَلاَ الْمُشْرِكِينَ أَن يُنَزَّلَ عَلَيْكُم مِّنْ خَيْرٍ مِّن رَّبِّكُمْ وَاللّهُ يَخْتَصُّ بِرَحْمَتِهِ مَن يَشَاءُ وَاللّهُ ذُو الْفَضْلِ الْعَظِيمِ

And by the way, can someone recommand me a good book on classical arabic grammar ?

bkanwar2

Certain sign in Quran are present for Tajweed (reading).  2:104's last word is a Miim with Tunween.  In short it is not for grammatical reasons.  Best book in English for Grammar is William Wright.  Lexicon by Edward Lane.
Be aware, knowledge is not static.  My knowledge of Classic Arabic is evolving too.  Hence my understanding of the message continues to evolve.  I think, learn, unlearn, relearn and then believe; not believe and claim to know it all.

Anoushirvan

Quote from: bkanwar2 on May 29, 2016, 10:38:44 AM
Certain sign in Quran are present for Tajweed (reading).  2:104's last word is a Miim with Tunween.  In short it is not for grammatical reasons.  Best book in English for Grammar is William Wright.  Lexicon by Edward Lane.

Same for this verse ?

عَلِمَتْ نَفْسٌ مَّا قَدَّمَتْ وَأَخَّرَتْ 82.5

Also, thanks for the suggestions.

bkanwar2

Yes, it is called Idgham-e-Yarmaloon.  These are alphabet that occur in mnemonic  يرملون  .  When these are present successively the two are combined in utterance and this is marked by sign of Shaddha.
Be aware, knowledge is not static.  My knowledge of Classic Arabic is evolving too.  Hence my understanding of the message continues to evolve.  I think, learn, unlearn, relearn and then believe; not believe and claim to know it all.

Man of Faith

Those diacritical markers are not native with the Arabic of Quran but inserted by interpreters later. They mean nothing according to the author. They are supposed to give pronunciation help and knowing how a word should be interpreted although the problem is this interpretation hint is according to those interpreters.

Sorry for not having answered your post on the other forum yet.

Be well
Amenuel
Website reference: [url="http://iamthatiam.boards.net"]http://iamthatiam.boards.net[/url]