Author Topic: Speaking in God's Name: Islamic Law, Authority, Women - Khaled Fadl  (Read 1046 times)

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
This book is often spoken of highly. I haven't read it yet though.

Speaking in God's Name: Islamic Law, Authority, Women
Khaled Fadl

Download:
http://www.islam-and-muslims.com/islamic-books-online.html

direct link: right click save as

If anyone has read it, feel free to share your thoughts.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

reel

• Advanced Truth Seeker
Re: Speaking in God's Name: Islamic Law, Authority, Women - Khaled Fadl
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 07:08:16 PM »
Bookmarked. Will have to download. Thanks Wakas.
"I fear that nothing will lead me to hell more than ḥadīth"-Hadith collector: Shu'ba Ibn al-Ḥajjāj

ay

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 02:21:49 PM »
Thank you... I have been wanting to read this for quite some time... did you ever read it in the end? What did you make of it?
if you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor

Jafar

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 10:19:13 AM »
Just skimmed through the initial page, interesting, it discuss the issue of 'authority'.
Which act as motivation or objective on why people claimed something or somebody carries the authority of God / Deities in the first place. Ex: Divinity of Jesus, Divinity of Quran, Divinity of Torah etc..

However it started the observation only from 7th century, the Islam era.

While such behavioral pattern (ie: claiming something / someone as divine and carries the authority of God / Deities) has started much earlier, the earliest surviving evidence can be found from 1800 BC Babylonia.

A king set forth a set of laws to be enforced within his empire and claimed that the law was written by a God, in this case a deity named Marduk. Thus claiming the authority of Marduk to enforce the set of laws.

An example of a type of authority named 'coercive authority' as labeled by the book.
Within this type of authority no discussion or questioning allowed.
Why? Because God saith so.. those who dare to question or resist will face the wrath of Marduk.
And nobody dare to piss Marduk off and choose to comply.
Nobody except the son of idol maker.

The book define 'coercive authority' as:
"Coercive authority is the ability to direct the conduct of another person through the use of inducements, benefits, threats, or punishments so that a reasonable person would conclude that for all practical purposes they have no choice but to comply."

Nowadays, coercive authority has fallen out of favor, thus a divinity claim is no longer effective.
At least in most part of the world.

Persuasive authority is the norm of the today, an evidence and / or a compelling argument need to be presented which shall influence how others view the subject. In most part of the world, a debate regarding law / policy are conducted before enforcing the law / policy within the society.

The book define 'persuasive authority' as:
"Persuasive authority involves normative power. It is the ability to influence the belief or conduct of a person because of trust."

However it's still the norm of today for some people to mix a 'coercive authority' with 'persuasive authority' within a debate. They put forth "Because God saith so" argument as evidence to persuade others and gain 'persuasive authority' over others.