News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

New member, first post

Started by Indiana, June 28, 2014, 05:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indiana

Salaam everyone. I am really new, just learning, and am rather confused. I hope to learn more about Islam without all the culture and traditions added in, which make things very hard. I'm not saying I'm against culture and traditions, but when people believe their tradition is religion, then things become confusing. Then I end up not knowing what to believe.

Bender

Salaam and welcome to the forum  :handshake:

Somewhere in your confusions there is a bright light, my advice is to follow that light, it will take you out of darkness inshaAllah.

Salaam,
Bender
Alhamdu lillahi rabbi al-alameen

Indiana

Thank you Bender. I have been told different things by different people. I was attending classes for awhile but the teacher believes in a constant stream of things to say all day long...say this 100 times, say that when you go in the bathroom, say something else when you do this or that, repeat over and over again, count on your fingers if you need, but get them all said in a day. It's all in Arabic! I can't remember what it means, much less how to say it. I got discouraged and dropped out. My husband, who is every easy going told me not to go anymore if I don't like it. But he has his own ways from the way he was raised in the Balkans. I don't know who to talk to.

Bender

Quote from: Indiana on June 28, 2014, 06:53:04 PM
Thank you Bender. I have been told different things by different people. I was attending classes for awhile but the teacher believes in a constant stream of things to say all day long...say this 100 times, say that when you go in the bathroom, say something else when you do this or that, repeat over and over again, count on your fingers if you need, but get them all said in a day. It's all in Arabic! I can't remember what it means, much less how to say it. I got discouraged and dropped out. My husband, who is every easy going told me not to go anymore if I don't like it. But he has his own ways from the way he was raised in the Balkans. I don't know who to talk to.

Salaam,

I don't see any harm in parroting some words but I also do not see any benefit. A lot of people think that words from The Quran (and some sayings) are some magic words, thus they think by repeating them a couple of times somehow they will erase their sins or grant them a higher status or to praise Allah. Those words, if they are from The Quran, where used for a purpose and that purpose is imo not to parrot them but to ponder about them.
Well, of course this is just a different view from a different person  ;)

Salaam,
Bender

Indiana

"Higher status", that's exactly what she was teaching, how to attain a higher status and she was giving us examples of what she does every day.

Scribbler

As-salam alaykum.

Welcome to the forum, sister :)
Turn to Allah before you turn to ashes.

JavaLatte

Welcome to the forum. 

Welcome

Salām.  :)
[33:72] Verily, We offered the trust to the heavens and the earth and the mountains, but they refused to bear it and they were afraid of it; but man bear it - verily, he was transgressing, ignorant.

Man of Faith

Peace,

What God wants from you is not particularly hard. Welcome to the forum.

God bless you
Website reference: [url="http://iamthatiam.boards.net"]http://iamthatiam.boards.net[/url]

Bender

Quote from: Man of Faith on June 29, 2014, 03:33:28 AM
Peace,

What God wants from you is not particularly hard. Welcome to the forum.

God bless you

Salaam,

agreed, and what Allah wants from you is also best for you.

Salaam,
Bender

JavaLatte

Quote from: Bender on June 29, 2014, 07:34:36 PM
what Allah wants from you is also best for you.

Agreed.  ;D

Salām.
[33:72] Verily, We offered the trust to the heavens and the earth and the mountains, but they refused to bear it and they were afraid of it; but man bear it - verily, he was transgressing, ignorant.

Existential1

Welcome, Indiana!

I too had problems with the 189738972398 supplications I was told to say when I reverted.  Now, I don't really say any of them, but I see their purpose.  I think they're supposed to keep you mindful of Allah in all that you do.  But if you can do that w/out saying a specific pattern of words, I don't see the issue.  That's how I feel about it anyway.

:peace: