Poll

I need a new name for myself (like seriously in real life) - birth name is stupid, unisex name that grates on me, no one ever says/spells it right and since am no longer in contact with the crazy people who put it upon me, I have decided now is time to ch

Variant of original: Alice/Alis/Alys/Alix/Allie/Ally/Ali etc
1 (16.7%)
Jane/Jayne etc
4 (66.7%)
Rachel/Raychel/Rachul/Raychul/Rachael etc
0 (0%)
Anne/Anna/Ann etc
0 (0%)
Other (please suggest in commets, ta)
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: June 19, 2014, 05:40:45 PM

Author Topic: Help me choose a new name for myself (like seriously - in real life)  (Read 4026 times)

Jane

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
I need a new name for myself (like seriously in real life) - birth name is stupid, unisex name that grates on me, no one ever says/spells it right and since am no longer in contact with the crazy people who put it upon me, I have decided now is time to change it officially by deed poll soon! God-willing. Not spur of moment thing - have been planning it for years! Have shortlist, just can't decide which one.  What do you think? My surname starts with an R, that will stay same, just need something that goes with that...all of the following are related to my actual name or something in my family: choose favourite!
PEACE

Existential1

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Make it match your forum name  ;D

JavaLatte

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
I need a new name for myself (like seriously in real life) - birth name is stupid, unisex name that grates on me, no one ever says/spells it right and since am no longer in contact with the crazy people who put it upon me, I have decided now is time to change it officially by deed poll soon!

Bold:  Your parents??

Peace.
[33:72] Verily, We offered the trust to the heavens and the earth and the mountains, but they refused to bear it and they were afraid of it; but man bear it - verily, he was transgressing, ignorant.

huruf

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +1/-1
With which would you feel more comfortable if some one, calls you. Imagine yourself being called, which one would sound to you more like you?

I like Jane. Sound humane and popular.

mmkhan

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
Salaam,

To me changing name is not necessary at all as it is just to identify.
If you still like to change, I like Jane because I know you with that name ;)

May Allah bless you :pr
mmKhan
6:162    قل إن صلاتي ونسكي ومحياي ومماتي لله رب العلمين
6:162    Say: My contact prayer, and my rites, and my life, and my death, are all to Allah, Lord of the worlds.

3:51

Zulf

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
Peace!

Go for whatever name feels intuitively good to you.

Meanwhile let me just share something. I always disliked the idea of changing names when converting. I know this does not apply to your situation, nor to mine, but I'd like to share my thought any way. So, I was always against changing to so called Muslim names for several reasons. I hated that the Muslims looked down upon your old name, and I hated that people thought that your identity was in the name. I hated that people wanted to change your identity when converting (though I've never converted from anything to anything).

Lately however, I have gain some alternate views, and that is that changing one's name can be very powerful. It can be a boost to your identity upgrade. It can reinforce the newly aspects to your life, and in this sense it can be good to change names, or at least to add a name. The only thing you should be careful about is to run away from something, to suppress something. I have known some people who wanted to change names because they were sick of their lives... but obviously, changing names would not solve their lives. They had other issues within themselves to sort out. You can expand and add to your life and identity by adding or changing names, but I think we should be careful and think twice if there is something we want to get rid of.

In any case, select a nice name for yourself and invest some happy, prosperous and bright sentiments into it.
Best of luck!
 :sun:
If you name me, you negate me.

Man of Faith

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
Peace Zulf,

The interesting thing is that they want us to  strictly change into an Arabic name.

I am planning on changing my own name by the way, to one of my other registered names. I find the meaning of my birth name to have an immodest meaning and the other one, 'Emanuel' to have a quite good meaning.

God bless you
Website reference: http://iamthatiam.boards.net

Zulf

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
Peace Zulf,

The interesting thing is that they want us to  strictly change into an Arabic name.

I am planning on changing my own name by the way, to one of my other registered names. I find the meaning of my birth name to have an immodest meaning and the other one, 'Emanuel' to have a quite good meaning.

God bless you

Yeah, as if a name is islamic just because it is arabic. It's so retarded. Didn't the names exist before Islam (prophet Muhammad/Quran)? Were the names not islamic then or what? I can be ok with someone changing names, even for religious reasons, if the do it for their own sake... but when people change names because other people say they should do so, to conform with religious etiquette, then I think it is just sick and retarded and I want to vomit on them. But I guess people often advice you out of ignorance and not malice.

By the way... one of my middle names is Emanuel... though I'm not really using it in practical life.  O0

Jane, or Jennifer, or anything else is nice. It's good to research the meaning of a name before selecting one. Like there are surnames I really cannot understand.. like Savage and similar or worse ones.

Peace!
If you name me, you negate me.

Bender

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0

Jane, or Jennifer, or anything else is nice. It's good to research the meaning of a name before selecting one. Like there are surnames I really cannot understand.. like Savage and similar or worse ones.

Peace!

Salaam,

Especially with a Carrot  :yes

Salaam,
Bender
Alhamdu lillahi rabbi al-alameen

huruf

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +1/-1
I got my two grandmothers' names. The second one I am glad it is indeed the second, for my taste a painful mention, it is not me at all and it was not very lucky for my grandmother. I trust she got a new one in Paradise. But the first one bothered me a little when I was little because it was so common. When it was called in the street half Spanish womanhood turned to attention. Later, and up till now, I love it. I would have it again and again and again.

I have complied a couple of times to take a few "muslim" names for the sake of expediency and without any intention whatsoever of ever using them. A pity they cannot be sold nor given as charity. And later still for some purposes I hyphenated mine and put Nur afterwards. That double name I do use for some purposes and occasions and do it with pleasure because that I do like it. But I always keep my grandmother's name that I like. I hope God likes it too and even if I fall short on virtues some time, may be my name helps a little.  :D :D :D

Salaam