Author Topic: Salaamu Alaykum, all  (Read 2523 times)

Jane

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Salaamu Alaykum, all
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 03:08:45 PM »
Here's a link to my linked-in profile pic.  I cut my beard last month though, starting a new job in August and the new employer doesn't like it. 

https://media.licdn.com/media/p/6/005/05d/378/0f2623c.jpg

Wow - you look very happy!

Was the beard a 'whilst you were sunni' thing or just your personal preference? If you don't mind my being nosey...
PEACE

Existential1

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 04:23:30 PM »
Wow - you look very happy!

Was the beard a 'whilst you were sunni' thing or just your personal preference? If you don't mind my being nosey...

It was actually a "I moved to Seattle" thing.  People just have a lot of beards up here.  When I travel for a long time I usually grow a beard too, due to laziness. 

Arman

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 07:13:45 PM »

Agree with all of the above.
Religion doesn't matter, it's your deed and attitude that matter.

Salam / Peace

Salamun Alaikum.

I would not say and did not mean to say, "Religion does not matter". Everybody understands that, in theory, for learning a subject it is not "absolutely essential" to attend a school; anyone can learn any subject from reading books on his own. But that does not rule out the need for educational institutions. Just like the routine and rigor of a school helps the students learn a subject, Religion (millat) certainly helps a vast majority of us to stay focused on our resolution (deen) - but only as long as we do not deviate from the fundamentals - i.e. instead of constantly reminding us on our God-gifted conscience and intellect - which is the purpose of the religion in the first place - we start to blindly follow "others".

Especially those of us within the fold of Abrahamic Religion (millat) would be only fooling our own souls if we convince ourselves that religion is irrelevant.  That would just take us one step closer to rejecting our conscience as a mere illusion and run after the life of the world.

2:130   And who will opt out of the religion of Abraham except who fools his (own) soul? And certainly We have chosen him in the world and indeed, in the hereafter, he is surely amongst the ones acting appropriately .

2:131   As his Master said to him, ?Be submissive?, he said ?I am submissive to the Master of the universe.?

(My personal translation; cross checking is recommended.)
May Allah guide us all to the straight route.

Regards,
Arman
Indeed I have faced my face to the One who farmed the heavens and the earth in precision; and I do not happen to be among the ones associating partners (with Him).

Jane

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 03:51:35 AM »
When I travel for a long time I usually grow a beard too, due to laziness.

Yeah, laziness and poverty, that's what makes your hair grow, I think. When you are long-term unemployed and you can no longer afford to go the hair-dresser and you realise it has been, like two years since your last visit and your hair is now practically down to your waist and people are thinking that you are a hippie now... :P

Ever grown one of these O0 ?  - Or is that a 'racist question'?   ???
PEACE

Existential1

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 09:58:45 AM »
Ever grown one of these O0 ?  - Or is that a 'racist question'?   ???

I'm sure if you asked a sensitive or insecure person they'd take offense.  I didn't cut my hair from 5th grade till 11th grade.  I had cornrows, but I'd occasionaly wear a fro.