News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Salaamu Alaykum, all

Started by Crow, June 10, 2014, 10:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Insha'Allah this finds everyone who reads this in good health and good spirits.

I am, for lack of a better term, a 'refugee' from the Sunni part of Islam, and I am seeing the true beauty of Islam that had been obscured for far too long. I converted to Islam in 2011- on September 12, to be exact- at the local Islamic Center, and began learning and being integrated into the community. Being one of the few 'white guys' there (it was mainly Sunni Pakistanis, Saudis, and Lebanese in the congregation, with two Shi'a from Iran in the mix), I was looked at by some as a 'trophy convert'.

In time, the questions I thought I had resolved for myself began creeping back into my thoughts- these were primarily on the nature and validity of the hadiths. Naturally, the minute I asked about this I was met with general indignance and the name 'Quranist' began popping up with very bad connotations attached to it. I felt like I did back in my Catholic days, asking questions that I never received satisfactory answers for, if any answer at all! In any case, I began to question everything I believed about Islam and I fell away from my salat and almost all observances.

However, my faith and belief in God was never in doubt and some months ago the thought occurred to me that if these 'Quranists' were so viciously attacked there HAD to be something to them, so I began reading and learning about the 'Qur'an Only' revival and the light went on in my head that this was the Islam I had been looking for all along. So, on June 6th of this year- just last week as of this post- I said a proper shahada and I, once again, became a new Muslim.

I thank you for giving me the opportunity to join this forum and glean what knowledge I may from your experiences and advice.

JavaLatte

Welcome to the forum!  :D

Welcome

Peace. 
[33:72] Verily, We offered the trust to the heavens and the earth and the mountains, but they refused to bear it and they were afraid of it; but man bear it - verily, he was transgressing, ignorant.

Arman

Wa alaikum as salam Brother.

Who is God / Allah? Is God / Allah someone we read about in a book or learn from some prophet or scholar? No ? God / Allah is the One who designed us ? who gave us our conscience, who gave us our rationality and morality. When Abraham (pbh) broke away from his idolater community, this is what he declared ? we do not need to seek for our Master here and there - simply following our own conscience and intellect having faith in our creator and the creator of the heavens and the earth is good enough ? that is the straight path ? the path of submission (islam) to Allah. There is no ?God? except Allah. That was his resolution (deen). In support of it he founded a religion (millat) to constantly remember God/Allah though certain rituals and practices (manasikan). Our Merciful Master accepted his offerings and followed him up with a series of messengers with scriptures that were meant to guide us and remind us to our own conscience. So, the messengers who came after him (including Moses, Jesus and Muhammad peace upon all) all preached the same message ? same resolution (deen), same religion (millat); but perhaps customized certain aspects of the rituals (manasikan) to suit their community and time.  If you read with an open mind you will find Al-Qur?an to attest to this very fact.

The prophets / messengers outside the fold of Abrahamic millat may have taught a different millat (a different view of God or a different way of searching Him) ? but they also preached the same resolution (deen): submit to the Master of the universe (i.e. be at peace with the "soul" of the universe) by upholding your conscience and rationality.

The problem arises when the religion preachers takes this very simple message and fabricates truth with falsehood for their economic and political gain. Instead of bridging between communities they spread hatred and envy and convinced their respective communities that their path is the only acceptable path to God. This trend is common for virtually every religion (be it judaism, christianity, shia / sunnism / wahabism and even quranism) ? this is how devil tries to deviate us from the straight path.

Your search for the most suitable community is understandable, but hope you can always stick to your resolution (deen) to submit to Allah. Do always uphold the conscience and intellect and never repress (kafar) these God-gifted faculties in order to take some book / scholar / prophet as your Master (in other words - be a blind follower). That would be an unforgivable mistake ? associating partners with Allah (shirk). As long as you can stick to these fundamentals, In sha Allah you will not lose your path.

Welcome to the forum. By way of welcoming you ? I have also put forward a brief summary of my standpoint. Hope you don?t mind.

Best regards,
Arman
Indeed I have faced my face to the One who farmed the heavens and the earth in precision; and I do not happen to be among the ones associating partners (with Him).

Man of Faith

Peace,

Welcome to the forum.

God bless you
Website reference: [url="http://iamthatiam.boards.net"]http://iamthatiam.boards.net[/url]

mmkhan

Salaam,

:welcome: to the forum brother.

Quote from: Armanaziz on June 11, 2014, 12:32:45 AM
we do not need to seek for our Master here and there - simply following our own conscience and intellect having faith in our creator and the creator of the heavens and the earth is good enough ? that is the straight path ? the path of submission (islam) to Allah.

I agree with the above.

Red: This is what called the Arabic word Wahi.

6:106
اتَّبِعْ مَا أُوحِيَ إِلَيْكَ مِن رَّبِّكَ ۖ لَا إِلَـٰهَ إِلَّا هُوَ ۖ وَأَعْرِضْ عَنِ الْمُشْرِكِينَ
Follow, what has been revealed [wahi] to you from your Lord - there is no deity except Him - and turn away from those who associate others with Allah.

And this is how Allah talk to us.

42:51
وَمَا كَانَ لِبَشَرٍ أَن يُكَلِّمَهُ اللَّـهُ إِلَّا وَحْيًا أَوْ مِن وَرَاءِ حِجَابٍ أَوْ يُرْسِلَ رَسُولًا فَيُوحِيَ بِإِذْنِهِ مَا يَشَاءُ ۚ إِنَّهُ عَلِيٌّ حَكِيمٌ
And it is not for any human being that Allah should speak to him except by revelation [wahi] or from behind a partition or that He sends a messenger to reveal, by His permission, what He wills. Indeed, He is Most High and Wise.

May Allah increase our knowledge and guide us on His path :pr
mmKhan
6:162    قل إن صلاتي ونسكي ومحياي ومماتي لله رب العلمين
6:162    Say: My contact prayer, and my rites, and my life, and my death, are all to Allah, Lord of the worlds.

3:51

Existential1

Quote from: Crow on June 10, 2014, 10:29:03 PM
I was looked at by some as a 'trophy convert'.

Salaam brother "John 'Crow' Snow", :rotfl:

I feel like this is the story of every convert.  It was certainly my story.  Welcome to a place where logical discourse is welcome.  I know exactly what you mean about questioning hadith when you are aware of the New Testament and the similarities between the two.  The only difference, I'm black.  I bet you never had to explain  to people that you weren't in the Nation of Islam with Farrakhan like me  :'(   It doesn't help that I have an affinity for wearing bow-ties either. 

Anyways, welcome bro.  May this site help you, and all of us, get closer to God.

:peace:

Jane

In time, the questions I thought I had resolved for myself began creeping back into my thoughts- these were primarily on the nature and validity of the hadiths. Naturally, the minute I asked about this I was met with general indignance and the name 'Quranist' began popping up with very bad connotations attached to it. I felt like I did back in my Catholic days, asking questions that I never received satisfactory answers for, if any answer at all! In any case, I began to question everything I believed about Islam and I fell away from my salat and almost all observances.

Wow, yeah - so much I can relate!

Peace :)
PEACE

Jane

Quote from: Existential1 on June 11, 2014, 12:57:53 PM
It doesn't help that I have an affinity for wearing bow-ties either. 

Oooh, pictures please.
PEACE

Jafar

I felt like I did back in my Catholic days, asking questions that I never received satisfactory answers for, if any answer at all! In any case, I began to question everything I believed about Islam and I fell away from my salat and almost all observances.

So, on June 6th of this year- just last week as of this post- I said a proper shahada and I, once again, became a new Muslim.

:welcome:
Don't stop asking questions, as through questioning you shall find answer.
Seek and you shall find, ask and you shall receive.

And you shall learn that there isn't such thing as 'proper shahada'..

Quote from: Armanaziz on June 11, 2014, 12:32:45 AM
they also preached the same resolution (deen): submit to the Master of the universe (i.e. be at peace with the "soul" of the universe) by upholding your conscience and rationality.

The problem arises when the religion preachers takes this very simple message and fabricates truth with falsehood for their economic and political gain. Instead of bridging between communities they spread hatred and envy and convinced their respective communities that their path is the only acceptable path to God. This trend is common for virtually every religion (be it judaism, christianity, shia / sunnism / wahabism and even quranism)

Do always uphold the conscience and intellect and never repress (kafar) these God-gifted faculties in order to take some book / scholar / prophet as your Master (in other words - be a blind follower).

Agree with all of the above.
Religion doesn't matter, it's your deed and attitude that matter.

Salam / Peace

Existential1

Quote from: Jane on June 11, 2014, 04:32:03 PM
Oooh, pictures please.

Here's a link to my linked-in profile pic.  I cut my beard last month though, starting a new job in August and the new employer doesn't like it. 

https://media.licdn.com/media/p/6/005/05d/378/0f2623c.jpg