Author Topic: How to perform traditional salat in space?  (Read 3416 times)

Novice

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
How to perform traditional salat in space?
« on: March 11, 2014, 06:18:41 PM »
Recently I read an article in the newspaper about Chris Austin Hadfield, a Canadian Astronaut. He used to orbit our earth in about 90 minutes i.e. 16 times in 24 hours. It means there will be
about 16 fajar (rising of sun) and gharoob (setting of sun) times. How many times we have to establish salah in such situations in the light of Al-Quran?

newform

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: How to perform traditional salat in space?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 09:07:17 PM »
However often you feel inspired to salat. Allah knows your heart.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11.

Mikebloke

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 06:20:25 AM »
This is where similar logic to fasting comes into play.

People near the poles have to accept that fasting dawn till dusk is impossible so have to copy the time of somwhere more sensible, some places don't even get dark at all.

In regards to praying in space, you would base it on your routine. Although you might be spinning round the planet in 90 minutes but living a 24 hour routine. Either base your timings on where you lived on earth or the ground base you took up from.

Ali Nasser

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 10:47:50 AM »
Yes, because floating around with barely any gravity would be the most ideal time to perform a physical ritual...

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +13/-2
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 11:57:13 AM »
With regard to the regular/timed salat, the only plural address I am aware of is 24:58, which doesn't strictly mention movement of the sun. However one could infer it is twice daily, morning and evening, whenever one's morning and evening was.

And with regard to sawm/abstinence 2:185 says: "...so whoever among you witnessed the shahr, then let him abstain it...". Thus one may wish to consider what if one does not witness it.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

Novice

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
With regard to the regular/timed salat, the only plural address I am aware of is 24:58, which doesn't strictly mention movement of the sun. However one could infer it is twice daily, morning and evening, whenever one's morning and evening was.

And with regard to sawm/abstinence 2:185 says: "...so whoever among you witnessed the shahr, then let him abstain it...". Thus one may wish to consider what if one does not witness it.
Thanks Wakas
How about 17:78 wherein sun is mentioned.

أَقِمِ ٱلصَّلَوٰةَ لِدُلُوكِ ٱلشَّمۡسِ إِلَىٰ غَسَقِ ٱلَّيۡلِ وَقُرۡءَانَ ٱلۡفَجۡرِ‌ۖ إِنَّ قُرۡءَانَ ٱلۡفَجۡرِ كَانَ مَشۡہُودً۬ا (٧٨)

So traditional ritual namaz is linked to sun. Can we overrule a Quranic command with human agreements?
Or salah is not ritual namaz?

Novice

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 05:34:04 PM »
Yes, because floating around with barely any gravity would be the most ideal time to perform a physical ritual...

Well said brother so are you hinting that salah is not a physical ritual?
Peace

Novice

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 05:38:54 PM »
This is where similar logic to fasting comes into play.

People near the poles have to accept that fasting dawn till dusk is impossible so have to copy the time of somwhere more sensible, some places don't even get dark at all.

In regards to praying in space, you would base it on your routine. Although you might be spinning round the planet in 90 minutes but living a 24 hour routine. Either base your timings on where you lived on earth or the ground base you took up from.

Thanks Mikebloke

Regarding fasting please see brother Wakas's reply.
What is your understanding of 17:78 where salah is linked to sun.?
أَقِمِ ٱلصَّلَوٰةَ لِدُلُوكِ ٱلشَّمۡسِ إِلَىٰ غَسَقِ ٱلَّيۡلِ وَقُرۡءَانَ ٱلۡفَجۡرِ‌ۖ إِنَّ قُرۡءَانَ ٱلۡفَجۡرِ كَانَ مَشۡہُودً۬ا (٧٨)
Establish prayer at the decline of the sun [from its meridian] until the darkness of the night and [also] the Qur'an of dawn. Indeed, the recitation of dawn is ever witnessed.

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 08:38:57 PM »

My hay penny worth,

I think its all about getting people to work  :group:

saum(fasting) is also linked to shamas(sun) , maybe saum isn't fasting and shamas is not the sun.

There are countries where you have six months of daylight and night.

2:185
activities heinous/bad/unscrupulous/vain was in which was sent down the Qur'an, as a guide to mankind, also clear (Signs) for guidance and judgment (Between right and wrong). whoever among you witnesses such an activity should abstain it??..

what is salaat???
4:102
When thou (O Messenger) art with them, and standest to lead them in prayer, Let one party of them stand up (in prayer) with thee, Taking their arms with them: When they finish their prostrations, let them Take their position in the rear. And let the other party come up which hath not yet prayed ?

Here the the commander talks about the tactics of war?..of course at other times you talk about other matters , so people can perform better.In the advanced countries performance is increased by working together by way of consultaion.

But saying that nothing wrong by fasting and doing Salaat if one ......

:hmm

Man of Faith

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 03:56:38 AM »
Peace,

It fascinates me that people always need to follow things so literally. If you have no space or time then simply glorify and bond with God on a frequent basis, i.e. whenever you need Him and whenever you wake up from resting or before resting. Even if you are in outer space you are still bound to a physical body that is designed to require sleep.

God bless you
Website reference: http://iamthatiam.boards.net