News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Multiple wives.

Started by Ali Nasser, February 05, 2014, 10:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huruf

Anybody can propose marriage to anybody, what I was saying was in the environment where the Qur'an was revealed, as in many other environments, poligamy was common amonst the powerful classes, and therefore that if the Prophet became powerful it was to be expected that he would get proposed for alliances and so on.

Salaam

Firedragon

Hi

Could someone explain something about the verse quoted (Generally out of context) that promotes polygamy. Just one point for now.

Who said this verse refers to men only. What if the master who has orphans under their protection is a woman? Is the Quran promoting lesbian marriages?

?   O people, be aware of your Lord who has created you from one person and He created from it its mate and sent forth from it many men and many women; and be aware of God whom you ask about, and the relatives. God is Watcher over you.
?   And give the orphans (Alyatama) their money, and do not replace the good with the bad, and do not consume their money with your money; for truly this is a great sin!

Where does it say "Men"?

uma

Salaam All

The Quran definitely points out that the Messenger of Allah had more than one wife. And in the ayat about orphans it does not say marry off but marry. We cant add words from ourselves to the Quran.
Allah has made both men and women and he knows best how to make this system work.
Allah has put in a mans heart love for women(as mentioned in Quran) its just natural. Women don't feel the same urge for men as men do for women.
Also women have other physical conditions on them in which its difficult for a man to satisfy his sexual needs, so then he would start lusting over haram things. But in such a case Allah has allowed these men to take more than one wife so his needs are satisfied in a totally halaal way.
This is how Allah has made this system and he knows our needs better than us.
This is my opinion

diamantinehoneybunch

Quote from: uma on February 17, 2014, 11:19:51 AM
Salaam All

The Quran definitely points out that the Messenger of Allah had more than one wife. And in the ayat about orphans it does not say marry off but marry. We cant add words from ourselves to the Quran.
Allah has made both men and women and he knows best how to make this system work.
Allah has put in a mans heart love for women(as mentioned in Quran) its just natural. Women don't feel the same urge for men as men do for women.
Also women have other physical conditions on them in which its difficult for a man to satisfy his sexual needs, so then he would start lusting over haram things. But in such a case Allah has allowed these men to take more than one wife so his needs are satisfied in a totally halaal way.
This is how Allah has made this system and he knows our needs better than us.
This is my opinion

This is an INSULT to both men and women because you consider women as sexual objects and a man as a creature that is not satisfied by sex with one woman.

Whether it means to marry or marry off, look at the FIRST PHRASE in 4:3, "IF YOU FEAR THAT YOU CANNOT BE JUST TO ORPHANS", so it is only to help orphans.

Women are not sex objects and men should not insult themselves as wild animals that are hungry of sex.
This profile is dead. It was assasinated by its owner :D

I am no longer of an adherent or believer of any religion. So some of my views that have been expressed here may no longer represent or reflect my current views.

huruf

Adding to diamantine, what you uma describe as men and women and their needs is purely imaginative. People, men or women are different. Neither all men are craving all the time neither all women never crave. And the Qur'an does not state what you state, rather than saying such a thing what it does command men and women is self control and command of the self. Men who who choose not to have any command over themselves, as diamantine says, choose to behave like beasts and not people. They cannot use women merely because they choose not to control themselves.

The Prophet never had any wives for that reason,  but rather to help his community, through helping widows or contracting alliances, but not as self serving sexual licence. The Qur'an does not condone such a thing and enjoys men and women to marry the single. So even if a man gave in to his beastly tendency, if he is married, no woman should accept him.

Salaam 

Earthdom

Peace

Quote from: huruf on February 16, 2014, 02:14:37 PM
what I was saying was in the environment where the Qur'an was revealed, as in many other environments, poligamy was common amonst the powerful classes, and therefore that if the Prophet became powerful it was to be expected that he would get proposed for alliances and so on.

Which sources you used for this claim?

huruf

That poligamy is common amongst the powerful classes but not the others is something common to most societies where poligamy exists either legally or alegally. There is no reaso to supose something different for the prophet. That he did not do it for his own slefish sake comes from the description that the Qur'an gives of him

Salaam

Notexceling

The Prophet married an underaged girl but kept her a virgin.

[66.5] Maybe, his Lord, if he divorce you, will give him in your place wives better than you, submissive, faithful, obedient, penitent, adorers, fasters, widows and virgins.

Most people don't notice Aisha is addressed as a "virgin".

Most women try to get married as a virgin but they are addressed as a wife afterwards, not a virgin.

In this Surah we find a narration about Hafsah bint Umar and Aisha bint Abu Bakr. (Widow and virgin respectively).

The prophet was already married to Aisha when Hafsah became a widow. Yet Aisha is addressed as virgin.

He hadn't had sex with her yet.

The reason he did marry an underage girl is because in the Quran his sexual laws are different to ours.

He has a Freedom.....

.... the Prophet desired to marry her-- specially for you, not for the (rest of) believers; We know what We have ordained for them concerning their wives and those whom their right hands possess in order that no blame may attach to you; and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

and importantly A RESTRICTION
It is not allowed to you to take women afterwards, nor that you should change them for other wives, though their beauty be pleasing to you, except what your right hand possesses and Allah is Watchful over all things.

I believe the Prophet married her and kept her a virgin till a decent age.

Notexceling

It only allows you to marry multiple wives if you cant look after an orphan.....
For me that means looking after an orphan is greater than looking after 4 women

Ali Nasser

@notexceling, apologies if this is too upfront, but that sounds like a load of horse sh*t. Her name isn't even mentioned in the Quran, and the prophet wouldn't marry a young girl to be a plan B f*uck buddy several years later.

Jesus Christ!!