News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Multiple wives.

Started by Ali Nasser, February 05, 2014, 10:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali Nasser

Can someone please explain to me, why prophet mohommed was the only one allowed to have more than one wife? Where is the sense and logic in that?

huruf

You should quote an aya or more to know exactly what you are talking about. What you state is not so. So please, quote where you got that.

Salaam

drfazl

First Muhammad is not mentioned in the ayat; it shall be with reference to any other prophets of afore times, too. Sex is not important for the prophets, in marriage; to them sex is not the primary requisite but the pre-requisite is to take the system of Islam to various religious sections and belief-systems of his populations' women folk.
Quran reading is useless unless we decisively stick to righteousness in our lives, at least to an extent possible. Based on such status Allah Guides, in such a way  [url="http://foolproofcure.net/index.aspx"]http://foolproofcure.net/index.aspx[/url]   that we do not transgress after receiving His Mercy.

DrGm

Quote from: drfazl on February 06, 2014, 05:02:58 AM

First Muhammad is not mentioned in the ayat; it shall be with reference to any other prophets of afore times, too. Sex is not important for the prophets, in marriage; to them sex is not the primary requisite but the pre-requisite is to take the system of Islam to various religious sections and belief-systems of his populations' women folk.

peace dr,
Quotebut the pre-requisite is to take the system of Islam to various religious sections and belief-systems of his populations' women folk.

could you please  elaborate.

peace.

uma

Also the ayat I think you are referring to is where Allah talks about marrying widows and he says you can marry them in twos threes and fours. But note that Allah does not put a cap on how many one can marry. So therefore I believe men can marry as many women as they wish so long as they can treat them all equally, which tbh I think is near impossible for most men. So therefore Quran advises them to stick to one.
Also if you read Islamic history you will find that many sahabas including Omar RA and Usman RA had more than four wives at a time.

Man of Faith

Peace,

As far as I have understood few prophets had multiple wives, at least the few cases wives are mentioned alongside them. Concubines perhaps, but not wives. Abraham had Sarah (unnamed in The Book 11:71), Lut had one anonymous wife (7:83, 11:81), Noah had one wife, Adam had one wife (2:35, 7:19). The sentences are written in such a manner that you cannot extract any other meaning than that they were monogamous.

2:102 speaks of man and his wife.

3:40, 19:5 speaks of Zachariah and his wife are old. If he had more wives perhaps another could bear his offspring.

4:20 talks of divorcing one wife for another, i.e one for another.

12:21, 12:25 Joseph's master had one apparent wife. 12:51 observe 'the wife of'

Polygamy is nothing which is supported to any greater extent in The Book except for some loosely translated verses. Allowed or not, our role models did not have a harem of wives. Only unrighteous people seem to have had multiple wives such as Pharaoh.

And as we spoke before it is not meant for man to have multiple wives due to the design. The ratio female vs male is almost even. Another way is against the system in my humble opinion.

God bless you
Website reference: [url="http://iamthatiam.boards.net"]http://iamthatiam.boards.net[/url]

Earthdom

Most of phrophet have many wives,
But the reason of this is because of some circumstances.

Peace

drfazl

Quote from: DrGm on February 06, 2014, 07:02:43 AM

peace dr,
could you please  elaborate.

peace.

DrGm,

The duty of the prophets are:
To explain to you the Book
To teach you its Wisdom
To differentiate to you between Good and bad
To enjoin upon you all that is good
To forbid you from all evils and
To free you from slavery.

57:20  Know that the life of this world is but amusement and diversion and adornment and boasting to one another and competition in increase of wealth and children - Hence the prophets' lives are not for fun and fare; their lives are not to increase their families and wealth; and their lives are not for show of pride and arrogance. And for them is long hours of work during the day 73:7; and they sleep very little in the night 51:17. They stand in prayers nearly two thirds in the night praising and remembering the glory of Allah 73:20; further the prophets are woken up in the nights from their covers 73, 74:1; and in the early morning hours to go to their people to warn them and make them ready for the fight against all evil 74:2. Thus for the prophets no intentions for sex during the day time; nor did they have any time for it during the nights that they stayed away from fearing and guarding Allah's admonition; and seeking forgiveness for themselves and for others; and remembering Him more and more staying awake in the nights, all their lives.

DrGm, what do you understand from all these ayats? Have the prophets got any thing or any time left with them for their family life? or selfish life style? No, most people have gotten them all wrong and May God forbid for us; and forgive us.

The prophets were sent to an almost forbidden society on its last legs splintered into fractured groups who had become like aborigines with very little calibre to understand the Truth. Amongst them the prophets had to move in and live to teach them the Book and the Wisdom, a Himalayan task. Even amongst such people were the endowed and dignified ones who become like disciples who could remember the oath given to Allah that they should help their prophets with their wealth and lives. 3:81  "Whatever I give you of the Scripture and wisdom and then there comes to you a messenger confirming what is with you, you shall believe in him and support him."  Said, "Have you acknowledged and taken upon that My commitment?" They said, "We have acknowledged it." He said, "Then bear witness, and I am with you among the witnesses."

Such of these, men and women from among their peoples, do volunteer to help their Prophets by listening to their prophets and go back to their men and women folks to guide them in the straight path from their evil-mind caused situations. While males can sit with their prophets for all time day or night, the women cannot be that way. Yet their women folks need to be taught too. In such a situation those among women who have the ability to get to the straight path; and who can gain better of the Book and of the Wisdom are chosen to get married to their prophets in their works.

They now gain the status as the wives of the prophet; and for the believers they unto them are mothers who live and sacrifice their lives, for the lives of their people. Surely for the believers the wives of the prophets are their mothers; and the believers are by nature forbidden from entering into their mothers' private matters of privacy; this is a grace from Allah that the minds of the believers would never wander into such gross indecency.

But the ignorant ones in whose hearts is the disease and the arrogant disbelievers would enter into such indecencies creating maliciousness to the prophets' and their wives' pure intention-relation in the cause of Allah. It is atrocious to say that the prophets did have concubines or paramours bringing disrepute to themselves in the cause of Allah, and degrading the sacrificing women in the straight path.

Those who validate the prophets' wives as their mothers with piety to God, such of them are the legitimate descendants of the prophets that shall reap the good on the earth and enter the heaven. And those who claim the prophets did have illegal concubines, such of them become illegitimate descendants of all evil forces. It is better to stay quiet on matters in which we have no knowledge or less know, so that we are saved from the questioning before the detrimental torment of blazing fire in both the worlds.

17:36  And do not pursue that of which you have no knowledge. Indeed, the hearing, the sight and the heart - about all those one will be questioned.

Any further question welcome, DrGm.

Peace.

Quran reading is useless unless we decisively stick to righteousness in our lives, at least to an extent possible. Based on such status Allah Guides, in such a way  [url="http://foolproofcure.net/index.aspx"]http://foolproofcure.net/index.aspx[/url]   that we do not transgress after receiving His Mercy.

Man of Faith

Peace,

My list is most earthdom? Muhammad is the only one with many wives. The rest had one or and some perhaps two if the Lore is accurate which I have doubts about. Moses is said to have had two wives in the Bible. He got an additional by working for Jethro a few more years.

Only one in hearsay with many wives is Solomon but that could be just fairy tales.

I see no support for marrying an army of wives. 

God bless you
Website reference: [url="http://iamthatiam.boards.net"]http://iamthatiam.boards.net[/url]

dr.rks

Peace dr.fazl,
                 For many years i was not getting answer whenever i read about prophet's wives. After reading your posting i have cleared my doubts. You explained about the prophets,not only about his duties but how they were sincere to allah's guidance. Really i realised how much time iam spending thoughts on allah. You dealt with this subject in utmost clarity. You have thrown light on these topics with your wisdom. All praise to allah.

Another important thing you have mentioned is that marriage is not for sex. World should understand this concept. This freeminds forum will be an eye opener for the entire world. Lot of my friends really wondered after reading the explanation by you from the quran.

Knowing well about the thoughtless people and the society,prophets have protected the women-folk who were working with him in the path of righteousness.

Such thoughtless people even go to the extent of disgracing these motherly women as concubines. At this moment i want to remind this ayat 5:5

"This day good foods have been made lawful, and the food of those who were given the Scripture is lawful for you and your food is lawful for them. And chaste women from among the believers and chaste women from among those who were given the Scripture before you, when you have given them their due compensation, desiring chastity, not unlawful sexual intercourse or taking lovers. And whoever denies the faith - his work has become worthless, and he, in the Hereafter, will be among the losers."