News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Prayer & using the Quran.

Started by Ali Nasser, January 08, 2014, 02:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habibullah

Quote from: GODsubmitter on January 09, 2014, 01:26:03 PM
And, since you say "However, salat and prayer is not the same thing.", would you care to explain it to me what do you mean by salat please, because there is much contradiction and different interpretations about it. We all know what prayer ("dua") might be, I suppose.

Peace brother,

I am sorry for the confusion.
What I should have written was "it is not just mere prayer". I do not know of a substitute in English for the arabic word Salat. If I ever would translate a verse/sign where the arabic word salat is used I would translate the whole verse except the word salat.

Perform As-Salat at the sinking of the sun to the darkening of the night and the reading at dawn; surely the reading at dawn (qur-ana alfaj-ri) is witnessed. 17:78

Those to whom We have sent the Book read/study it as it should be studied: They are the ones that believe therein: Those who reject faith therein, - the loss is their own. 2:121

24:58 salati alfajr-i
17:78 quran alfajr-i

GODsubmitter

Quote from: Habibullah on January 11, 2014, 06:23:07 PM
Peace brother,

I am sorry for the confusion.
What I should have written was "it is not just mere prayer". I do not know of a substitute in English for the arabic word Salat. If I ever would translate a verse/sign where the arabic word salat is used I would translate the whole verse except the word salat.

Perform As-Salat at the sinking of the sun to the darkening of the night and the reading at dawn; surely the reading at dawn (qur-ana alfaj-ri) is witnessed. 17:78

Those to whom We have sent the Book read/study it as it should be studied: They are the ones that believe therein: Those who reject faith therein, - the loss is their own. 2:121

24:58 salati alfajr-i
17:78 quran alfajr-i

Peace.

Thank you for the answer
God has no Religion!

God is running everything.

Peace begins with me.

mmkhan

Quote from: Ali Nasser on January 08, 2014, 02:33:13 AM
Greeting fellow earthlings,

I am trying to compile a method in which I am able to conduct my daily prayers. Like what to say, what to do etc.

I was wondering, in regards to what to say, if you want to take an extract from a variety of verses and put them together in a way that would indicate you are asking for forgiveness for example, would it be okay to do that? Like for instance, pick out a verse, something in it that you like, and you take out a portion of it to use in your prayer, is that permissible?

Also, are there any verses which tell you what positions you must do, what order, or is it possible to just face the kaaba in a prostrating, or standing, or bowing  position and recite your prayer?

Peace brother,

I personally understand that you are absolutely permissible to do so, inshaAllah.
It is just between you and Allah. Indeed, you will pick up only those words that you need. So, how it could be wrong?
You are not trying to change the word of Allah, right? Then how and why it is wrong?
You don't need any particular position of facing towards anything, just call your Lord FROM YOUR HEART [not just from tongue like parroting], inshaAllah, you will get the best answers of what you asked Him for.

To understand it better, recall Zakariyya [19:2-3] and please understand 7:205.

May Allah's peace and blessings be upon you :pr
mmKhan
6:162    قل إن صلاتي ونسكي ومحياي ومماتي لله رب العلمين
6:162    Say: My contact prayer, and my rites, and my life, and my death, are all to Allah, Lord of the worlds.

3:51

ths

Peace Ali,

Quote from: aliGreeting fellow earthlings,

I am trying to compile a method in which I am able to conduct my daily prayers. Like what to say, what to do etc.

I was wondering, in regards to what to say, if you want to take an extract from a variety of verses and put them together in a way that would indicate you are asking for forgiveness for example, would it be okay to do that? Like for instance, pick out a verse, something in it that you like, and you take out a portion of it to use in your prayer, is that permissible?

Also, are there any verses which tell you what positions you must do, what order, or is it possible to just face the kaaba in a prostrating, or standing, or bowing  position and recite your prayer?

Personally, I pray the traditional sunni way, but with modifications. However, I don't think the actual form is very important.

The Quran mentions standing, bowing, prostration, direction, and the glorification of God in the state of prostration, so I think it's clear that the early Muslims simply copied Muhammad's chosen way to do so.

I also prefer to read from the Quran while standing, instead of just recite the same verses that I know off by heart. It's a great method to read more of the Quran.

After the part "sami3ah l-laaha liman hamidah" I quote verse 17:110-111. I think it's very appropriate for that position.

Then in the bent and prostrated positions I make the necessary tasbeeh, which is already a part of normal salah

Finally in the seated position I start the tahiyyaat in the normal way. I omit the direct stuff spoken to Muhammad because I think it's heretical.

Then I make the shahadah, but without the reference to Muhammad. My shahadah is simply:
أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله ، واشهد أن لا شريك له

Then I recite relevant verses from the Quran.
I've created a list of such verses for myself and change them occasionally, but for now this is the one I like most:

2:136:

ءامنا بالله وما انزل الينا وما انزل الى ابرهم واسمعيل واسحق ويعقوب والاسباط وما اوتى موسى وعيسى وما اوتى النبيون من ربهم لا نفرق بين احد منهم ونحن له مسلمون

"We believe in God, and in that which has been bestowed from on high upon us, and that which has been bestowed upon Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and ,their descendants,111 and that which has been vouchsafed to Moses and Jesus; and that which has been vouchsafed to all the [other] prophets by their Sustainer: we make no distinction between any of them.112 And it is unto Him that we surrender ourselves."

6:162-163

ان صلاتى ونسكى ومحياى ومماتى لله رب العلمين

"My contact prayer, my devotion and offerings, my life, and my death, are all to God the Lord of the worlds."

46:15:

رب اوزعنى ان اشكر نعمتك التى انعمت على وعلى ولدى وان اعمل صلحا ترضىه واصلح لى فى ذريتى انى تبت اليك وانى من المسلمين

"My Lord, enable me to be grateful for Your favor which You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents and to work righteousness of which You will approve and make righteous for me my offspring. Indeed, I have repented to You, and indeed, I am of the Muslims."

3:8

ربنا لا تزغ قلوبنا بعد اذ هديتنا وهب لنا من لدنك رحمة انك انت الوهاب

(Our Lord, make not our hearts to swerve after that Thou hast guided us; and give us mercy from Thee; Thou art the Giver)

2:201

ربنا ءاتنا فى الدنيا حسنة وفى الءاخرة حسنة وقنا عذاب النار

'Our Lord, give to us in this world good, and good in the world to come, and guard us against the chastisement of the fire'

14:40:

(رَبِّ اجْعَلْنِي مُقِيمَ الصَّلاَةِ وَمِن ذُرِّيَّتِي رَبَّنَا وَتَقَبَّلْ دُعَاء)

O my Sustainer, cause me and [some] of my offspring to remain constant in prayer!54 "And, O our Sustainer, accept this my prayer

So that's my prayer at the moment. Those verses are all quotes from people like Ibrahim and others used as examples in the Quran.

Whenever I come across such a verse I write it down, and every now and then I rotate them or add new ones that speak to me at that moment.
فَاسْتَبِقُوا الْخَيْرَاتِ ۚ
So strive as in a race in all virtues!
5:48