News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Quranists in the UK

Started by truth.seeker.uk.1987, January 07, 2014, 09:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diamantinehoneybunch

Labels are not really mportant but what they do matters the most, followed by their views.

Burqa-burning? LOL.

Anyways can anyone ask them? Do they believe that:
1. The majority of hell-dwellers are women?
2. Muslim men can divorce their wives immediately by instant divorce pronouncement?
3. Dogs are forbidden to be kept inside houses and people who touch wet dogs must wash with soiled water 7 times?
4. Men should beat women as last alternative?
5. Women must wear headscarves or they would be hung by their hair in hell?
6. Only women whom their husbands are pleased will go to heaven?
7. Apostates must be killed?
8. Stoning of adultery?
9. Reciting the Qur'an like mantras will get rewards from God?
10. Statues and pictures of animals are forbidden?
11. Shaking hands between male and female is forbidden?
12. Prophet Muhammad ascended to heaven and received 50 prayers daily instruction but after discussing with Prophet Moses, he met God again and negotiated with God to decrease the number of prayers to 5 times daily?
13. Second coming of Prophet Issa?
14. The coming of Mahdi?
15. 72 hot virgins in heaven for men who fought or strived in the cause of God?
Etc?

If they believe in these, sorry.

Sorry for intruding but sometimes I also think that we should not call or label ourselves with anything such as Quranists or Quran aloners. I hold the view that Quranism is just a TERM of the belief that hadith rules that are not in the Qur'an should not be the source of Fiqh, Quran [and other scriptures] are the only important things for believers, and hadiths are just invention made by some people and they falsely attributed the invention to islam. I do not consider Quranism as a name for a group or sect in islam. It is just a term. We are indeed non-denominational muslims or muslims without a particular sect.
Sometimes it is the label Quranist hat make people stay away from us because they have a mindset that we are deviants, anti-prophets, hadith rejectors. :'(

MECO may be good but do not be too quick to say "I am a Quranist", "I don't follow hadith" in front of them.
This profile is dead. It was assasinated by its owner :D

I am no longer of an adherent or believer of any religion. So some of my views that have been expressed here may no longer represent or reflect my current views.

virtueorvice

Quote from: diamantinehoneybunch on January 15, 2014, 04:25:48 AM
Sorry for intruding but sometimes I also think that we should not call or label ourselves with anything such as Quranists or Quran aloners.

Those who believe in the Qur'an and follow its guidance are Muslims; the rest are just something else!

See what the Qur'an says:

2:132 This very legacy Abraham left  to his children, and so did Jacob, saying, ?O My children! Indeed, God has chosen for you the way of Life. Therefore, let not death overtake you except that you are Muslimoon (Submitters).?

[Deen = The Divinely Prescribed System of Life = Al-Islam. It has more to do with the collective life of humans and the science of sociology. It concerns itself with people living in this world collectively in peace according to a Code of permanent values that ensures success in both lives. Religion (Mazhab) is more of a generic term signifying a creed involving certain rites and rituals and seeking individual salvation. Islam being a Collective System of Life is, in fact, a challenge to religion]

3:52 (This is what the angels had told Mary. Then Jesus was commissioned to prophethood.) As he sensed their rejection, he called out, ?Who are my supporters towards God?? The disciples said, ?We are God?s supporters, we believe in God, so bear witness that we are submitters (Muslims).?

22:78 Strive hard in God?s cause, with all the striving that is due to Him. It is He Who has elected you to carry the message and has placed no hardship in religion, the Creed of your father Abraham. It is He Who has named you ?Submitters? in the bygone days and now in this revelation - That the messenger may be a witness for you and you be witnesses for all mankind! (You shall be the watchers over people that no community oppresses the other.) So, establish the Divine System and set up the Just Economic Order, and hold fast unto God. He is your Lord Supreme, and how excellent is this Giver of support! [2:143, 2:288. Muslimeen = Muslims = Those who submit to God alone]

Those who submit to Bukhari, Tabari, Dawkins, Angelina Jolie, this Imam and that Imam and etc. and etc. are not MUSLIMS.

Nabeel

Quote from: diamantinehoneybunch link=topic=9606144.msg345959#msg345959Sorry for intruding but sometimes I also think that we should not call or label ourselves with anything such as Quranists or Quran aloners. I hold the view that Quranism is just a TERM of the belief that hadith rules that are not in the Qur'an should not be the source of Fiqh, Quran [and other scriptures] are the only important things for believers, and hadiths are just invention made by some people and they falsely attributed the invention to islam. I do not consider Quranism as a name for a group or sect in islam. It is just a term. We are indeed non-denominational muslims or muslims without a particular sect.

I agree and in fact I find the term 'Quranist' quite offensive.  Whoever invented that term must have a twisted understanding of what it means to have Qur'anic views and they must be obsessed with labels.  A label is not sufficient to attribute to a person who simply wants to lead a righteous life for God; however descriptions are acceptable.  I think the word 'alone' also has connotations of a label.  If someone had to describe their beliefs, grammatically why would someone describe in a sentence, 'I follow the Qur'an alone', instead of saying more naturally in plain English: 'I follow the Qur'an only' as a more common way to express the description?  Again, 'Qur'an only' is not a label either, but only a description, or short-form description, to refer to our views or refer to people who have such views.   

Nabeel

(The above message wasn't formatted correctly but it's displaying fine now)

Mikebloke

Quote from: aqua on January 14, 2014, 01:40:47 PM
Not to discredit their good works of-course. Just saying that we really are a rare kind out there with our views on Hadith / Qur'an.

Maybe, or maybe not. I don't think there is a particular push for 'Quranists' to exert their agenda on anyone else. I honestly believe there is quite a number of people who don't value hadith above Quran, or otherwise reject hadith completely; but stick to their previous/parental denomination not so much out of fear (at least here in Europe) but out of convenience.

We don't harm anyone by having the views we have, and normally unless we express those views to people, Muslims or not, won't notice the difference anyway when it comes to everyday life.

That's not to say that an organisation based upon Quranic ideals wouldn't hold value, its just unlikely to form unless... guess who; we bother to form it ourselves. For that there would need to be a stated shared goal or ideal, and that is tricky in itself. Speaking in a UK sense, do UK Quranists suffer persecution? do they become loners with no friends? Are they politically active in the context of their beliefs? I don't think the answer to any of those is a yes, so there is little grounds for a formal organisation. That doesn't stop community groups like Free Minds existing and holding purpose though, its just a different kind of group.

Rachel84

Regarding MECO, according to the account of the 2008 London conference written by Layth (can read about it here: http://free-minds.org/forum/index.php?topic=9600926.msg254055#msg254055) they were difficult and kind of trying to dominate it, as well as trying to include Muhammad's name and hadith traditions in several things. Don't think we can consider them a 'Quran-alone/Quranist' organisation or at least 'free-minded' people at all.

Man of Faith

Peace,

I think we have to fade down a bit on the terms "Quranist" or "Quran-alone". The right term ought to be God alone or non-mushriks. They may come across slightly more arrogant, but nonetheless truer. God alone 'Islam' (if you still want to cling unto that word despite not being of label of a particular faith) is the best term in my opinion. If you make any distinction whatsoever with Muhammad or Jesus or whoever you are a mushrik and not God alone.

God bless you
Website reference: [url="http://iamthatiam.boards.net"]http://iamthatiam.boards.net[/url]

Rachel84

Yes you are right. It should be 'God Alone' or Monotheists/Monotheism not 'Quran Alone'. If you are a 'Quranist' then the Quran becomes like an idol along with Muhammad, Jesus, Moses etc. >:(  And I still read and appreciate the wisdom in the Bible so I am not really 'Quran Alone' I guess.  :-[

Although if people ask my religion and I say 'Abrahamic Monotheist' people don't get it, they want something they can understand, they want a (recognisable) label. If I say I am 'religious' then it's assumed as Christian or Jewish which I don't want. :brickwall:  But then if I call myself a Muslim people here roll their eyes at me...which is probably fair, since that feels like a lie anyway.

I could try 'God-Alone Muslim' but that sounds strange. 'Progessive Muslim' identifies you with a certain group who I believe is based in London, who I don't necessarily associate with. With 'Quran-alone Muslim' at least then the real/sunni muslims know what you are about (i.e. not like them) and everyone else at least has an idea.

We should ask the God-Alone Christians and Jews etc how they do it...

:sun:

Man of Faith

Peace,

Say: "I have faith in God; the God of Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad and the rest, and I do not make any distinction between them and I am not bound to any sect but believe in God alone and the revealed decree."  Well, I know it is kind of long but you assign no label at all to yourself, and it sounds like an undistorted phrase from the recitation (Quran).

God bless you

Website reference: [url="http://iamthatiam.boards.net"]http://iamthatiam.boards.net[/url]

Rachel84

Quote from: Man of Faith on June 04, 2014, 05:36:04 PM
Say: "I have faith in God; the God of Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad and the rest, and I do not make any distinction between them and I am not bound to any sect but believe in God alone and the revealed decree." 

Okay cool. Next time I am filling out a questionnaire then, like the Census or something I am gonna write in the section marked
What is your Religion?: "I have faith in God; the God of Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad and the rest, and I do not make any distinction between them and I am not bound to any sect but believe in God alone and the revealed decree."
Just hope it all fits!

:sun: