No it is forbidden
2 (7.4%)
It is very good
5 (18.5%)
Only certain types.
20 (74.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Man of Faith

Website reference: [url="http://iamthatiam.boards.net"]http://iamthatiam.boards.net[/url]

JavaLatte

Quote from: mmkhan on June 03, 2014, 10:49:37 AM
Not the music itself, I think, but the words used with it does, sometimes. :D

YES.

Quote from: muslims on June 03, 2014, 10:16:24 AM
What we do with the music might be forbidden . .

YES.

Quote from: Man of Faith on June 03, 2014, 11:32:53 AM
The texts can be immoral.

YES.

Peace.  :)
[33:72] Verily, We offered the trust to the heavens and the earth and the mountains, but they refused to bear it and they were afraid of it; but man bear it - verily, he was transgressing, ignorant.

muslims

Quote from: Man of Faith on June 03, 2014, 11:32:53 AM
The texts can be immoral.

Our understandings can be immoral. . not the texts.

The texts cannot be forbidden.

For example. . .

And they followed what the devils recited regarding the kingship of Solomon.
            Solomon did not reject, but it was the devils who rejected by teaching people magic,
            and teaching them what was sent down on the two angels in Babylon, Haroot and Maroot.
            They did not teach anyone until they would say:
            "We are a test, so do not lose faith!"
            Thus they teach what can separate between a person and his mate;
            but they cannot harm anyone except with the permission of God.
            And they learn what harms them and does not benefit them,
            and they have known that he who purchases such has no place in the Hereafter.
            Miserable indeed is what they purchased with their souls if only they knew!
            (2.102)

Is it the text that is forbidden, or practising what the text is saying is forbidden ?

I believe it is practising what the text is saying which is forbidden. . .

Another example, flesh of swine. . . flesh of swine is not forbidden
but it is the act of eating flesh of swine that is forbidden.

Another example, money is not haram. . but the act of taking usury is haram. . .
so , it is the act of taking usury that is forbidden, not the money etc.

[url=http://muslimatheism.org]Muslim Atheism[/url] is a theological position for the disbelief in god, religion and the unspecific
but the practical philosophy from the Quran are followed

ironman

I love to listen music. Would love to compose them too. I mostly listen to instrumental, soundtracks from action video games, such as "God of war", "prince of persia", "dante's inferno", "darksider" etc. They works like coffee when I work. Classical theological songs are also good for me. Indian classic is also good for me. Any good melody is ok for me. I hate the sexual music where you find nothing but sex. I love violin, playing violin notes with D-minor key makes me cry.

Those who think, all musics deviate one from Lord, is a liar and close to devil; I testify it.

When I become sad, I listen to,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFZ7bBaYpcw

And "adonai roi" from psalm 23, zabur.  :)

HP_TECH

In the name of the God the most gracious the most merciful

26:220 He is the Hearer, the Knowledgeable.
26:221 Shall I inform you on whom the devils come down?
26:222 They come down on every sinful liar.
26:223 They claim to listen, but most of them are liars.
26:224 And the poets, are followed by the strayers.
26:225 Do you not see that they traverse in every valley.
26:226 And that what they say, is not what they do!
26:227 Except for those who believe, and do good works, and remember God greatly, and were victorious after they were wronged. As for those who did wrong, they will know which fate they will meet.

Music with lyrics is poetry. A form of poetic expression. I think this notion is widely accepted.
And the poets follow them l-ghāwūna the deviatiors.
Music without lyrics may be fine depending on what you let it inspire
If it puts you in a mood that may incline you to be aggressive, lustful, boastful then abstain.
Does it make you want to jump up and dance?
I still don't know how I feel about dancing but maybe because I have no rhythm
But when I do dance I feel embarrassed like God is watching me and instead of being humbled by His presence I am disregarding for my temporary vain enjoyment (if at all) or expression.

It is a case by case in my opinion and I still wouldn't dare call anything other than what Allah has prescribes as forbidden in the Book, forbidden.
I would avoid it if possible because music with no lyrics can inspire emotions and desires that are not synonymous with your person. ( I have found myself repeating the stupidest things heard on radio, or embarrassing myself doing dance moves that don't fit my person)

In MY case abstaining by personal choice from music has proven tremendously beneficial.
I have calm long car drives, in which I am focused on the road or can plan ahead or think and fantasize
I am not constantly obsessed over musical fads or dances or mindlessly repeating like a drone trendy lines from mundane songs.
Music used to in my old days inspire all kind of negative desires in me
Every time I hear mundane music lately I feel like it strives to raise the same desires once again
So I avoid it.

If others can listen to it and maintain a state of humility before Our Lord and not be inspired to transgress the limits then who I am I to condemn.

Although I will end that even if the music is of a good nature, you might still listen to it yearning for some positive inspiration (lyrics)  or uplifting if you are feeling down.

In that case why don't you just turn to the Quran?
إِنَّنِي مِنَ الْمُسْلِمِي

My Lord I repent to you for anything I uttered concerning You for which I have no knowledge of. Indeed You are the Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful

Timotheus

Music is a blessing from God, music with lyrics remembering God is great, I prefer that our classical music.

I love Sufi music is very relaxing.

All in all I think it's like any blessing it can be and is misused. Especially pop music and gangsta rap, that stuff is painful to listen to.

My musical standard is either music remembering God, or instrumental.

I love the blues and classical, It relaxes me and stimulateS my mind

Music is not forbidden. One of the prophets David was a beautiful musician and poet and what a gift we have in the psalms
What could i say that is better than what God has already informed us of?
Follow God
Seek His guidance, the only guidance
Glory and Praise be to God, rabbil Aalameen

Invalid777

Quote from: Timotheus on December 29, 2015, 08:41:17 PM
Music is a blessing from God, music with lyrics remembering God is great, I prefer that our classical music.

All in all I think it's like any blessing it can be and is misused. Especially pop music and gangsta rap, that stuff is painful to listen to.

Music is not forbidden. One of the prophets David was a beautiful musician and poet and what a gift we have in the psalms

Couldn't agree more.
Religion is the world's most prolific mental illness

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJM5mipwebw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJM5mipwebw[/url]

Jafar

It depends.. this music is very good!

Now... won't you help me sing.... this song of freedom.....

https://youtu.be/OFGgbT_VasI

HP_TECH

Quote from: Timotheus on December 29, 2015, 08:41:17 PM

I wouldn't go as far as calling  a prophet a poet.....
36:69
And not We taught him [the] poetry, and not it is befitting for him. Not it (is) except a Reminder and a Quran clear

69:41
And not it (is the) word (of) a poet; little (is) what you believe!

In fact it was the disbelievers that call prophets poet

52:30
Or (do) they say, "A poet, we wait for him a misfortune of time."

37:36
And they say, "Are we to leave our gods for a poet mad?"

21:5
Nay, they say, "Muddled dreams; nay, he (has) invented it; nay, he (is) a poet. So let him bring us a sign like what was sent (to) the former."

Be Careful not to utter that which Allah has sent down for it no authority.
Revelation is not poetry.
Prophets are not poets.

Looking at all these verses related to poetry does it not make you think anything?

إِنَّنِي مِنَ الْمُسْلِمِي

My Lord I repent to you for anything I uttered concerning You for which I have no knowledge of. Indeed You are the Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful

tlihawa

Music is good  ;D

Not because I'm a musician, but I consider the music is one of the God's signature. It's 12 notes pattern inline with the 19 metonic cycle which describe in Quran.

Quran talks about 19 cycle period related to leap year pattern in luni-solar calendar

74:29   A signal <lawwāḥatun> to human beings.
74:30   Upon it is nineteen.

74:31   And We have made the guardians of the Fire to be angels; and We did not make their prescribed number (of time period) <ʿiddatahum> except as a test for those who have rejected, so that those who were given the Book would understand, and those who have faith would be increased in faith, and so that those who have been given the Book and the believers do not have doubt, and so that those who have a sickness in their hearts and the rejecters would say: "What did God mean with an example such as this?" It is such that God misguides whom He wishes, and He guides whom He wishes. And none know the soldiers of your Lord except He; and it is but a reminder for human beings.

Here, you should treat the word 'iddatahum' as cycle of time period. Please check the same word used in 2:184, 2:185, 33:49, 65:1, and 65:4 to understand the context.

How's the music inline with the universe:

In the fourth century, Hillel II established a fixed calendar based on mathematical and astronomical calculations. This calendar, still in use, standardized the length of months and the addition of months over the course of a 19 year cycle, so that the lunar calendar realigns with the solar years. Adar I is added in the 3rd, 6th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th and 19th years of the cycle. The current cycle began in Jewish year 5758 (the year that began October 2, 1997). If you are musically inclined, you may find it helpful to remember this pattern of leap years by reference to the major scale: for each whole step there are two regular years and a leap year; for each half-step there is one regular year and a leap year. This is easier to understand when you examine the keyboard illustration below and see how it relates to the leap years above.

http://www.jewfaq.org/calendar.htm