is music good, good and good .......?

No it is forbidden
2 (7.7%)
It is very good
5 (19.2%)
Only certain types.
19 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: is music good, good and good .......?  (Read 6392 times)

Timotheus

• Truth Seeker
Re: is music good, good and good .......?
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 01:16:33 AM »
I wouldn't go as far as calling  a prophet a poet.....
36:69
And not We taught him [the] poetry, and not it is befitting for him. Not it (is) except a Reminder and a Quran clear

69:41
And not it (is the) word (of) a poet; little (is) what you believe!

In fact it was the disbelievers that call prophets poet

52:30
Or (do) they say, "A poet, we wait for him a misfortune of time."

37:36
And they say, "Are we to leave our gods for a poet mad?"

21:5
Nay, they say, "Muddled dreams; nay, he (has) invented it; nay, he (is) a poet. So let him bring us a sign like what was sent (to) the former."

Be Careful not to utter that which Allah has sent down for it no authority.
Revelation is not poetry.
Prophets are not poets.

Looking at all these verses related to poetry does it not make you think anything?

That's all talking about Muhammad. And the Quran.

I think some of the psalms were revealed but also some of them seem to be David's own thoughts. I.e poetry.

It's there something wrong with a prophet also being a poet?
Or any variety of artist?
What could i say that is better than what God has already informed us of?
Follow God
Seek His guidance, the only guidance
Glory and Praise be to God, rabbil Aalameen

huruf

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 02:47:46 AM »
The qquestion is not whether a prophet can be also be a poet, the quetion is, if he got revellations from God, or from anybody else, to know clearly which part of what he says is reveltion and which part is not.

AAnd what is not proper is that he should insert his own ideas o occurrencs in the revelations. He should keep them separate and transmit clearly what God orders himor her to  transmite as God's word, where it starts and where it ends, not mixing anything from him in it.

Tht is the case of the Qur'an. Whatever the prophet Myhammad may have said in his life, the Qur'an is transmitted in its integrality as revelation from God.

That is a thing that some people keep mixing up when speaking about setting the bible and the Qur'an on the same footing.

Salaam

Timotheus

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2015, 03:10:14 AM »
The qquestion is not whether a prophet can be also be a poet, the quetion is, if he got revellations from God, or from anybody else, to know clearly which part of what he says is reveltion and which part is not.

AAnd what is not proper is that he should insert his own ideas o occurrencs in the revelations. He should keep them separate and transmit clearly what God orders himor her to  transmite as God's word, where it starts and where it ends, not mixing anything from him in it.

Tht is the case of the Qur'an. Whatever the prophet Myhammad may have said in his life, the Qur'an is transmitted in its integrality as revelation from God.

That is a thing that some people keep mixing up when speaking about setting the bible and the Qur'an on the same footing.

Salaam

Yes I agree but does the Quran ever say the psalms or zaboor was revealed by God?

To my knowledge it says 'we revealed to Moses and Jesus and WE GAVE David the psalms' or something similar.

I am not sure that the Quran calls the psalms a revelation. Although I could be wrong.
Follow God

huruf

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 04:00:05 AM »
The question in this case is whether what is puported in the bible to be this or that is the same thing tht the Qur'an speaks of. All we know  is that something was given to dawood, but what and its contents is, again, something else. The Qur'an does not say, but that is precisely the reason the Qur'an was revealed, to serve as a contrast so that we know what is from God nd what is not. If it matches what the Qur'an says, it is, if not it is not. That is the propr way, the other things should match the Qur'an and not, as has been done and i being done all the time, match the Qur'an to othr things, mainly the bible, taking the latter as the basis for the Qur'an and not th other way around.

Salaam

reel

• Advanced Truth Seeker
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2015, 03:03:10 AM »
Just like bad words, there are bad songs. But that does not mean music itself is bad. Quran doesn't prohibit listening to it. I consider the following to be bad:
Black metal: Not all of it is bad. However, most songs from it contain violent words about Christianity and some are homage to satan. Why be entertained by something that bashes a religion aimlessly? As for satan, that doesn't need explanation.
Gangsta/sexual rap: Because they promote criminal lifestyle. By the way, I don't even consider rap to be music.

At the end of the day, words should be looked into to understand whether a song is listenable. I myself is heavily focused on lyrics. I am into metal and gothic, but would always avoid any song that refers to satan or contains pagan chant. Music has all kinds of benefits. You can actually memorize class notes by singing them. It can also relax the mind.
"I fear that nothing will lead me to hell more than ḥadīth"-Hadith collector: Shu'ba Ibn al-Ḥajjāj

Study

• Beginner/Inquirer
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 02:32:39 PM »
Old topic, I know.

Just wanted to clarify for others who may still read.

10:59 Say: "Have you seen what God has sent down to you from provisions, then you have made some of it forbidden and some lawful?" Say: "Did God authorize you, or do you invent lies about God?"

7:32 Say: "Who has made unlawful the nice things that God has brought forth for His servants and the good provisions?" Say: "They are meant for those who believe during this worldly life, and they will be exclusive for them on the Day of Resurrection." It is such that We explain the revelations for those who know.

You can't make unlawful something that wasn't forbidden by God.
Of course insults and stuff aren't acceptable through music.
Just like smoking isn't helal because smoking is never mentioned in the Quran.
We know it is unhealthy, and we know that we have to take care of our bodies and not inflict ourselves harm.

No where in the Quran does it say that music is haraam.
It is one of the nice things of earth, even animals sing and enjoy this gift.

Timotheus

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 04:46:36 AM »
Old topic, I know.

Just wanted to clarify for others who may still read.

10:59 Say: "Have you seen what God has sent down to you from provisions, then you have made some of it forbidden and some lawful?" Say: "Did God authorize you, or do you invent lies about God?"

7:32 Say: "Who has made unlawful the nice things that God has brought forth for His servants and the good provisions?" Say: "They are meant for those who believe during this worldly life, and they will be exclusive for them on the Day of Resurrection." It is such that We explain the revelations for those who know.

Of course insults and stuff aren't acceptable through music.
Just like smoking isn't helal because smoking is never mentioned in the Quran.
We know it is unhealthy, and we know that we have to take care of our bodies and not inflict ourselves harm.

No where in the Quran does it say that music is haraam.
It is one of the nice things of earth, even animals sing and enjoy this gift.

Nowhere in the Quran does it say that smoking is haram.. let me emphasize a point you made...

then you go on to presume to make something unlawful that God has not..

Peace..
Follow God

HP_TECH

• Advanced Truth Seeker
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 05:14:03 PM »
Nowhere in the Quran does it say that smoking is haram.. let me emphasize a point you made...

then you go on to presume to make something unlawful that God has not..

Peace..

To inhale smoke from cigarettes(which besides tobacco contain several toxins and harmful chemicals), or marijuana is to consume intoxicants. These alter your physiological state, some in a varying degree from others and are harmful to you in various ways.
Allah tells us to avoid intoxicants so we may succeed.

Peace
إِنَّنِي مِنَ الْمُسْلِمِي

My Lord I repent to you for anything I uttered concerning You for which I have no knowledge of. Indeed You are the Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful

Timotheus

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2016, 06:32:52 AM »
To inhale smoke from cigarettes(which besides tobacco contain several toxins and harmful chemicals), or marijuana is to consume intoxicants. These alter your physiological state, some in a varying degree from others and are harmful to you in various ways.
Allah tells us to avoid intoxicants so we may succeed.

Peace

Our lord, in fact says:
2:219
يسلونك عن الخمر والميسر قل فيهما اثم كبير ومنفع للناس واثمهما اكبر من نفعهما ويسلونك ماذا ينفقون قل العفو كذلك يبين الله لكم الءايت لعلكم تتفكرون

my interpretation:
they are asking you regarding the intoxicants, Say: in them both is a great sin, and benefits to the human beings, but sin of them both is greater than the benefit of them both.

5:90
يايها الذين ءامنوا انما الخمر والميسر والانصاب والازلم رجس من عمل الشيطن فاجتنبوه لعلكم تفلحون

my interpretation (i dont know some of theese words):
oh you who trust in god completely, only(?) the intoxicants, and the gambling, and the fixed portions, and the arrows(raffling?/divining? arrows) are an impurity of the satans doing, so all of you avoid it,  so you may be successfull

a few points on this..
1. this translation is my own limited understanding, and i would encourage people to verify things for themselves, and also share any better understanding they have with me :)

2. the innama in this verse, in my knowledge means 'only' although, it can have different meanings depending on its grammatical context, so i will, if god has willed, have to check this.

3. i think that 'fixed portions' is a good translation, considering the root, and also considering the context of god mentioning in the quran that people define fixed portions of meat of certain animals, and forbid such and such etc, and god was disapproving of this. though again, i have limited knowledge. in regards to the arrows, i dont know this word, i will have to look into it, but i feel as if it is talking of raffling food?

4. the first one is talking specificaly about 2 definite intoxicants it seems, as they are definite, and in my understanding, and seemingly the only fit with the context, they are later mentioned with a dual object pronoun, which means there is two of them. (beer and wine prehaps? i am not familiar with the culture at the time)

5. what/who are we to avoid? in my understanding of the grammar of this, it is saying we are to avoid the work of the satan.

I agree, we should avoid intoxicants. i think we should take gods words on face value though, as much as possible, and not distort them. i.e

God tells us to avoid 'the work of satan' not alcahol, or music or anything else.
God also tells us that 2 certain intoxicants are more sinful, or a greater sin, than a benefit.

beyond that, it is up to us to, god willing, follow his guidance as to how to apply theese verses in other areas or to things that are not directly covered by it.

let us also not forget, god sends his messengers to people, speaking in their language, theese people had a clear understanding of what intoxicants he was talking about
and also we cannot attribute things to god that are not true. and i think we should try our best to represent every argument in the best possible way, because if we say 'god tells us to avoid alcahol' but it in fact does not, but rather tells us to avoid the satans work, then i think this can lead to people not wanting to believe other things we say, or not being as accepting of something which may be a true, and solid argument

Peace
Follow God

HP_TECH

• Advanced Truth Seeker
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2016, 03:47:09 PM »
Our lord, in fact says:
2:219
يسلونك عن الخمر والميسر قل فيهما اثم كبير ومنفع للناس واثمهما اكبر من نفعهما ويسلونك ماذا ينفقون قل العفو كذلك يبين الله لكم الءايت لعلكم تتفكرون

my interpretation:
they are asking you regarding the intoxicants, Say: in them both is a great sin, and benefits to the human beings, but sin of them both is greater than the benefit of them both.

5:90
يايها الذين ءامنوا انما الخمر والميسر والانصاب والازلم رجس من عمل الشيطن فاجتنبوه لعلكم تفلحون

my interpretation (i dont know some of theese words):
oh you who trust in god completely, only(?) the intoxicants, and the gambling, and the fixed portions, and the arrows(raffling?/divining? arrows) are an impurity of the satans doing, so all of you avoid it,  so you may be successfull

a few points on this..
1. this translation is my own limited understanding, and i would encourage people to verify things for themselves, and also share any better understanding they have with me :)

2. the innama in this verse, in my knowledge means 'only' although, it can have different meanings depending on its grammatical context, so i will, if god has willed, have to check this.

3. i think that 'fixed portions' is a good translation, considering the root, and also considering the context of god mentioning in the quran that people define fixed portions of meat of certain animals, and forbid such and such etc, and god was disapproving of this. though again, i have limited knowledge. in regards to the arrows, i dont know this word, i will have to look into it, but i feel as if it is talking of raffling food?

4. the first one is talking specificaly about 2 definite intoxicants it seems, as they are definite, and in my understanding, and seemingly the only fit with the context, they are later mentioned with a dual object pronoun, which means there is two of them. (beer and wine prehaps? i am not familiar with the culture at the time)

5. what/who are we to avoid? in my understanding of the grammar of this, it is saying we are to avoid the work of the satan.

I agree, we should avoid intoxicants. i think we should take gods words on face value though, as much as possible, and not distort them. i.e

God tells us to avoid 'the work of satan' not alcahol, or music or anything else.
God also tells us that 2 certain intoxicants are more sinful, or a greater sin, than a benefit.

beyond that, it is up to us to, god willing, follow his guidance as to how to apply theese verses in other areas or to things that are not directly covered by it.

let us also not forget, god sends his messengers to people, speaking in their language, theese people had a clear understanding of what intoxicants he was talking about
and also we cannot attribute things to god that are not true. and i think we should try our best to represent every argument in the best possible way, because if we say 'god tells us to avoid alcahol' but it in fact does not, but rather tells us to avoid the satans work, then i think this can lead to people not wanting to believe other things we say, or not being as accepting of something which may be a true, and solid argument

Peace

Peace, check the discussion in this thread http://free-minds.org/forum/index.php?topic=9608164.0
إِنَّنِي مِنَ الْمُسْلِمِي

My Lord I repent to you for anything I uttered concerning You for which I have no knowledge of. Indeed You are the Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful