Author Topic: I Want to Write a Letter to My Parents Regarding My "Apostasy" from Sunnism  (Read 1287 times)

diamantinehoneybunch

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
[Post modified to remove unnecessary contents and to avoid misunderstandings]

Salaam,

I mean apostasy from Ahl Al Sunna not the real Islam

Honestly from my heart I really want to write a letter to my parents.
Yesteday during iftar I told my mom that once upon a time, there were Salafi/Wahhabi sheikhs issued a fatwa ruling women to suckle non-mahrams to make the men their mahrams if they want to work with them. Yuck.

Since my parents are just simple and moderate sunnis, they think that it is crazy. They have no idea that this commandment of suckling is in the [false] ahadith [falsely] attributed to Muhammad.

And I told them that there is a hadith which says that Muhammad married Aisha when she was 6 and consummated when she was 9. My mom got a little bit angry and told me that this [information from internet] is just to deviate us from Islam. My dad also told me that learning something must have teacher(s).

Just like typical blind-followers, they told me that those scholars have learnt about Islam for sooooooooooooooooo loooooooooooooong. We have to aks and learn from them. Ugh that's why Muslims today live in darkness.

They believe in 2 Shahadah, dog is haram, women must wear head-coverings, alcohol is haram in all forms, the "I divorce you with 3 talaqs" is islamic, women will be the majority of hell-dwellers etc. I want to tell them that these are nonsense and have nothing to do with Islam. Hey I love dogs!

I really feel the need to write a letter to my parents that I have denounced Ahl Al Sunna religion and proud of my apostasy from it.

I want to tell my parents the truth about hadithism. I want to give the letter next year when I am fully eligible to get out of the house. If I tell my parents now, I will be beaten up especially by my dad.

I am writing this to ask for suggestions from you? what to write on the letter to convince my parents about this.

Writing "Qur'an is explained in fully detailed" would not be enough for them.
Should I write the contradictions between ahadith and Qur'an?
Should I write the ahadith that talk garbage about Solomon? (Hadith that says Solomon slept with multiple/countless women in one night).
Should I write about Zoroastrianism and relate it to the hadithism?
Should I write about Talmud and the similarities between it and hadiths?
Should I write about misogynist hadither Imam Al Shafi'i for corrupting Islam?

What should be written first as introduction?

P/S: What the heck is the movie "The Innocence of Muslims"? Is it the same as Netherlands' Geert Wilders' movie "Fitna"

Kind regards,
Yuliana
This profile is dead. It was assasinated by its owner :D

I am no longer of an adherent or believer of any religion. So some of my views that have been expressed here may no longer represent or reflect my current views.

Man of Faith

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
Peace Yuliana,

If you still live with your parents and depend on them it may be dangerous to challenge your indoctrinated parents this way. Also you should remember about the responsibility children have towards their parents even if they are idol worshipers. I does not mean you should obey your parents if they want to disobey God and indulge in false religion, but you should always have respect for them.

God bless you
Website reference: http://iamthatiam.boards.net

diamantinehoneybunch

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
Peace Yuliana,

If you still live with your parents and depend on them it may be dangerous to challenge your indoctrinated parents this way. Also you should remember about the responsibility children have towards their parents even if they are idol worshipers. I does not mean you should obey your parents if they want to disobey God and indulge in false religion, but you should always have respect for them.

God bless you

Salaam,

Yeah that's why I said that want to give the letter next year. I want to give them after I don't live with my parents anymore.

Kind regards,
Yuliana

I am no longer of an adherent or believer of any religion. So some of my views that have been expressed here may no longer represent or reflect my current views.

zone

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Peace Yuliana.

I admire your courage and conviction to deliver the truth. I have gone through that episode in life. There are many things I can share but not publicly. Besides thinking about how to approach the communication, you need to consider to what extent you are willing to face the consequences, considering your age, even 18 next year, and country you live, a sunni land. Is is something I called stepping into the dangerous zone. I wish to help, please PM.

Zone.

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
peace,

Perhaps rather than writing such a letter, you can see what your parents think about more simple things, e.g. the issues you mentioned, dogs and divorce. These are very easy to discuss.

See:
http://misconceptions-about-islam.com/dogs-allowed-muslims.htm
http://misconceptions-about-islam.com/husband-divorce-wife-immediately.htm

It is not surprising your parents showed an adverse reaction to the 9yr old marriage thing. Most Muslims are simply unaware of some things in Traditional Islam and when told of them find them repugnant but find it hard to openly admit it.
http://www.misconceptions-about-islam.com/muhammad-married-young-girl.htm
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

SarahY

• Global Moderator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +2/-0
Don't you think it's quite provocative to say "apostasy" it has bad connotations and will prob fuel more arguments

How about make it more positive such as: I've been enlightened by islam? by the Quran?

talk about how amazing it is that we're so naive and don't tend to look for truth or even understand God's law but you have discovered so many astonishing things from reading and trying to understand.

talk about the impact is has on you and how this outlook has helped inspire you to be a better person etc.

how being ignorant and forcing belief in strange hadiths because of imperfect studies has made you feel hate towards sunni islam. whilist they may be scholars and have a great name to them, they attribute strange things to islam which you cannot reconcile nor is it in the Quran. give examples.

A year is a long way a way. I think the fact you can talk about weird hadith is a good sign. maybe try talk about what the Quran says

I have no idea what the Innocence of Muslims is.

also like others have said, think about the possible consequences, e.g. if they kicked you out could you stay somewhere, does anyone else in the family have support for you etc.

Salam
We all have blind spots.
Follow your heart but take your brain with you.
ambiguity is there for a reason, why do you think?
We're all different, so how can we all be equal?

supportpeacenotwar

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
Since I do not believe that guidance is not just about not following hadith, my whole approach to this kind of thing is different.

Innocence of Muslims is on youtube still isn't it? It was the film that caused the uproar with how it portrayed Prophet Muhammad and it's an anti-Islam film. These people do not care about whether its Quran or hadith. These are the same types of people who complain and are just as anti-Quran as anti-'Islam' as we might call it. It as on the news for a while and condemned and/or discussed a lot, at least in countries like the UK, US, Australia, Canada etc.
The above post may no longer represent my beliefs based on evidence and considering such topics further.
I no longer follow a "Quran only" approach.
I would simply say I follow Islam.

es

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +1/-0
Salaam Yuliana, 

I think you should be gentle with your parents and respect them. I don't know whether it's intentional but it seems that the majority of the topics which you have suggested are those which would certainly antagonise your parents. There's a way of explaining things to people and giving them such extreme examples and by being reactionary is not the way to go about it.

I think you should read Surat al-Maryam for guidance on how one ought to conduct themselves in regards to their mother, in particular,  and also how Abraham dealt with a similar situation.

All the best.

Salaam.

diamantinehoneybunch

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
Salaam,

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Though I know that showing the topics that I have suggested will make them more angry and think that I have been made deviant by "enemy of Islam".

That's why I started this thread? to ask for [more] suggestions on what to write on the letter.

To SarahY,
Your suggestions are awesome. Thank you :)

Yeah I should write something more pleasant instead of straightly tell and show them the evil and odd ahadith >:D

And I hate it when my parents force me to eat dates :elektro: :'( because it's Muhammad's sunna and following it will get rewards.

Ever since I left Sunnism, I have become more open-minded to accept criticisms including offensive criticisms. People make fun of Muhammad mainly because of ahadith. The Fitna short movie made by Geert Wilders is just showing a few Qur'anic verses and show the acts of extremists that "follow" the verses.

And being a Qur'an-only muslim has made me a thinker. I mean, I often think about the world and try to see the world through different perspective.

Also, I no longer let myself be spoonfed by people who have authority over something. Especially the religious scholars.

Again, thanks all.

Kind regards,
Yuliana